Pain Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ablations

Being new to this would someone tell me what ablations are? Also when the pain is bad what's the best thing to do. Rest? I tend to think that pain is the body's way of saying stop. I used to be able to rest for two days then get up and go again. This time is different and little seems to make a difference. I'm loathe to go on really strong pain killers, would they do your joints more harm? I've had physio and acupuncture by the physio but have enormous 'stiffness' in my lower back accompanied by a burning sensation. Any clues? I'm 61 with a 61% compensatory curve so would love to hear from some older people with similar problems and how they 'get back to life'. Good anyway to know there are so many people out there listening.

Comment

Hi Franny
      nerve ablation is when the doctor burns off nerves...they grow back..but when they are burned, the pain lessens...if it works for the patient & if they get the right spot...

i have alot of pain from the discs i herniated...turned into degenerative disc disease..also from 61 degree lumbar & 40 degree thoracic scoli curves..the thoracic pain is relieved a great deal with botox shots that freeze my muscles so they cant spasm or bunch...the lumbar curve is more resistant to help..epidurals didnt help, nerve ablation helped a little, as did facet block injections...sacroiliac injections worked best for me...i guess the pain doctor just "hit the right spot" with the steroid shots...but all this lumbar treatment is very temporary for me...

i dont remember if you said..do you have herniated discs? or other stuff, like spinal stenosis? i have spinal stenosis & arthritis...the arthritis makes my body stiff all over...it is in my spine particularly badly....

best regards
      jess

Comment

curvy spine

No, I don't have any of those other things, just the severe curve and it makes sense that there's such pressure at the base of the spine causing problems. Reading others stories I feel I should just kick myself and be extremely grateful. Good luck to you all. The courage out there is immense.

Comment

Hi Franny
          no, no, no...please dont kick yourself!

i went back & read your previous posts...since you just joined in november, i saw only 4 posts..didnt see mention of the size of your curves...??

jess

Comment

Well I finally found someone to see who didn't want to just do injections. It was at one of the 1st places I tried. They needed to have all my records then decide if they would even see me. I am staying on the Vicodin (7.5 2x daily)and adding gabapentin (400 3x), Lidoderm patches, and aqua-therapy. I go back in a month to discuss how things are working and any changes.
            I'm so happy that I found someone willing to see my AND they're fairly close. It just took a lot of persistence, calling literally every PM Dr or center in a 60+ mile radius and starting all over before finding one. We'll see how it goes from here but at least she is willing to work with me. Needed to sign a contract saying I wouldn't see any other Drs about pain while I see her. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
            2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
            surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
            Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
            5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
            5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
            6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
            (left open with just clear dressing)
            6/6/08 recleaned and closed
            3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Good for you!!! I hope things go well for you this time.

Best Wishes,
              Shari

Comment

Working...
              X