Im a 16 year old girl who is veryyyyyyyyy upset :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im a 16 year old girl who is veryyyyyyyyy upset :(

Hi. Im 16 years old. I had my period when I was 12. I recently found out I have scoliosis. I always knew about the uneven parts of my body, but I thought it was because of tennis (lol).
    I am an actress and I want to be a film maker. I have an amazing talent and Im so sad that I have scoliosis. I love dancing.. even though Im not trained, I can dance really nice.
    Lets move to the real question. My degrees are: top 23, hips 23. Im so scared, you cant imagine.
    I began swimming 3 weeks ago. I swim 1-2 times a week. I think that it works a little bit. My hips looked more even than it was before after swimming a couple of times. But now, this week, it returned to the same =(.

I want to know if it will stop progressing. Will it start getting worse when I get older? Im 5'3. What are the negativitys. Please tell me YOUR story if its similar.

THANKS!

You'll be ok

Long story short you can stop worrying because you are done growing. Your curve probably won't progress and if it does it won't be much.

Exercise may or may not help your curve but it is your best bet to stay healthy and reduce your risk of osteoarthritis and other complications.

Comment

I agree, you will be fine as your curves are low. Since you have scoli, you should have an x-ray shot maybe every year or two just to keep an eye on things. Keep your own copies of your x-rays, film or on disc for future reference.

Mobility and exercise are good things.....

Film maker? Can we expect another Stanley Kubrick?

This might interest you.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI_Conservatory

Good luck
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Pearlgirl
        i think progression is an issue much later...i had a similar situation & progressed much later in life....& my scoli was there at 12 (hindsight is 20/20, & looking back at ballet classes, i know it was there)...at 21 a doctor told me i had a curve in my spine...at 31 it bothered me, i had an x ray & they called it scoliosis...at age 50 it started to bother me alot...then i herniated discs & it got really bad...

i think if you take good care of your back, be careful how you lift things, dont carry any heavy pocketbooks,etc...you should be fine for a very long time!!

good luck
        jess

Comment

I would agree with Dingo. Your curves are considered small. At 16, there is little potential growth remaining for a girl. If you were 10 years old, it might be a different story as curves often progress through adolescence. A conversation with your doctor may put your fears to rest.

Also you should know that there are successful movie stars with Scoliosis. Shailene Woodley from Secret Life and Isabella Rossellini (before your time) are two that come to mind. We also have parents here whose daughters are active dancers with scoliosis.

Comment

hi

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
            Hi Pearlgirl
            i think progression is an issue much later...i had a similar situation & progressed much later in life....& my scoli was there at 12 (hindsight is 20/20, & looking back at ballet classes, i know it was there)...at 21 a doctor told me i had a curve in my spine...at 31 it bothered me, i had an x ray & they called it scoliosis...at age 50 it started to bother me alot...then i herniated discs & it got really bad...

i think if you take good care of your back, be careful how you lift things, dont carry any heavy pocketbooks,etc...you should be fine for a very long time!!

good luck
            jess

Hey what were your degrees when you were around 16?

Comment

HI pearlgirl
              i dont know...it is my own knowledge from the way i could do across the floor & not do it.....& how hard turns were....
              i know at age 31 my curves were in the 20's...it took about another 25 years for the progression & pain to get really bad!!

jess

Comment

wow

...Its so sad to hear that I want to die

Comment

Hi pearlgirl,

I just wanted to let you know that your curves are quite mild, you wouldn't even be prescribed a brace at this point if you were still growing.

Some people do continue to progress with curves as small as yours, however, MOST do not. Just make sure you get monitored by an orthopedist regularly (they'll let you know the schedule) maybe every year or two.

By the way, swimming and dance are both very good for scoliosis because they help increase your core strength. So go enjoy yourself and make lots of great films!

Comment

Hi Pearlgirl,

Ballet Mom and others are all right on this. I think by anyone's definition around here you are in very good shape, done growing, mild curves, out of the woods. Put it out of your mind, enjoy your self, see your doc as recommended for check-ups. No point in worrying (especially at your age) about remote future eventualities.
                    mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
                    Providence night brace, increased to 35*
                    Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
                    14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                    Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
                    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
                    currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Hi PearlGirl,

I am 26 years old and have had Scoliosis since I was 2. I have a very rare form of it, firstly it being juvenile scoliosis as well as the fact that I have 3 curves. I only had one curve until about 16 in my thoracic spine measuring 15 degrees. By the time I was 19 I had two curves, one thoracic and one lumber, and when I was 22 they noticed a 3rd in my neck. My curves are at 22 degrees.

Basically, at the end of the day there is not a doc out there knows what caused or how to stop it. And it's really hard to say if it will ever stop. They told me I just needed to get to 18 and I'd be fine...what a joke.

Anyway, earlier this year I saw a chiropractor. I had been to every other doc so I figured it couldn't hurt. Well, turns out it was the best decision I ever made. He got me into see a restorative Yoga. They have been working with me for 6 months now. I have nearly full movement in my back, my rib cage is no longer rotated, my hips are straight and I can honestly say that for the first time in 26 years I am no longer in pain every day. It wasn't easy and takes dedication to doing yoga every day, but the results are worth it.

Even my mother who spent hours crying on the couch, because of how twisted and sore I was, and no one would give her an answer, is shocked about the difference it has made.

Honestly, the only thing I recommend you do, and this is from years of experience and trying everything, is get a good chiropractor who knows what he is doing and get yourself a restorative yoga teacher. Make sure though that you don't start going to classes first, you don't want to hurt yourself. Rather get someone to work one on one with you until you are strong enough and know what you can and can't do.

AP

Comment

Dear Pearlgirl
                        NO No No...please do not be so very upset...i told you my story as a cautionary tale...i did not take such good care of my back...or my nutrition, either...& hope that you do!

if you eat right, get enuf (or extra) calcium, bend carefully, get the right kind of exercise, & do not (i cannot emphasize this enuf) carry a heavy shoulder bag...(may sound trivial, but it is NOT!)...you may very well have no progression!

i did not get enuf calcium..now have osteopenia...(it is precursor to osteoporosis)...calcium is very important..also i am thin & of slight build...so i really should have been better with my nutrition...i carried a very heavy (at least 5 pounds...my rheumatologist weighed it once) shoulder bag for years! the reason was, i left home early, worked full time, had school at nite, then went to the gym... so i carried my life in my bag...but it was stupid! when i was a kid, nobody carried backpacks...we carried our books on our hips...very bad practice!! i wouldnt advise anyone to use anything but a backpack for even distribution of the weight!!

please do not despair...you can do so much to help prevent the progression at your age! please know that i write this to you to encourage you to take good care of yourself!

be well...take care...best regards...
                        jess

Comment

Working...
                        X