Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just what I dont need to read

Hi,
    We are 2 weeks away from Gabbys surgery and I read this...
    http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...,1049643.shtml
    what does everyone think?
    should we still go ahead or put it off for a year?
    I just didnt need to read it but perhaps it is not suitable for Gabby anyway.
    I dont really know how it works...It just sounds amazing!
    Please comment.
    Regards
    Donna.
    Mother to 14 year old daughter, Gabrielle (Gabby).
    Discovered her scoliosis on her 14th Birthday in February 2009. Due to be operated on for curves of 57 and 54 degrees (S Curve) in December 2009 with Dr. Askin in Brisbane.

Well, well, well, that sounds like our favorite "mad scientist's " invention from UC Irvine going on the foreign market. Dr. Douglas Kiester that Dingo interviewed earlier this year. It's probably not on the U.S. market because our legal system would chew them up and spit it out if anything goes wrong in the testing of the system to a large population (or maybe it could just take longer here to get approval because of that possibility).

http://www.orthopaedicsurgery.uci.ed...y/kiester.html

Here's probably more information than you'd probably want to read:

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090204154

Patent application title: EXPANDABLE ROD SYSTEM TO TREAT SCOLIOSIS AND METHOD OF USING THE SAME
    Inventors: P. Douglas Kiester
    Agents: Vista IP Law Group LLP
    Assignees: ELLIPSE TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
    Origin: IRVINE, CA US
    IPC8 Class: AA61B1770FI
    USPC Class: 606258

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abstract:

Correction of a scoliotic curve in a spine comprises the steps of implanting an expanding rod isolated completely under the skin and attached to selected portions of the scoliotic curve of the spine at opposing ends of the rod; and producing a controlled force by means of expansion of the rod over at an extended time period under external control until a desire spinal curve is obtained. An incremental force is generated to stretch the scoliotic curve of the spine between the selected portions where attachment of the rod is defined. The controlled force is provided steadily for at least one month or alternatively 1-3 months. Multiple rods may be employed each associated with a different scoliotic curve of the spine or a different portion of the scoliotic curve

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/2009...#ixzz0XADIzs03
    Last edited by Ballet Mom; 11-17-2009, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Isn't this interesting, Dr. Kiester thinks that AIS is the result of a tight ligament during rapid growth. He says "The evidence for this assumption is impressive and overwhelming."

This device must stretch it. Maybe that's why ballet seems to have helped my daughter. Who knows....?

Adolescent (also called idiopathic) scoliosis is believed to be the direct result of a tight ligamentum flavum during rapid growth. The ligamentum flavum is a strong discontinuous (or segmental) ligament full of elastic fibers (which gives it its yellow color) that runs along the posterior aspect of the spinal canal. The posterior aspect of the dura, at any given spinal level, touches lamina for one third of its length, and ligamentum for the other two thirds. In the lumbar spine it acts as the center of rotation (and maybe the center of rotation for the thoracic as well, which would help explain the limited rotation available in the thoracic spine).

[0006]If indeed scoliosis is the result of a tight ligamentum flavum, then correction of scoliosis should be achievable by mechanical stretching. Rapid correction of a scoliotic curve is now possible because great force through multiple points of solid fixation are now available. These methods still, however, are described as steps toward inserting instrumentation for a fusion of vertebrae. A slower and steady stretch over time, would be much less violent, and would allow the use of much less force and fewer points of fixation.

[0007]What is needed is some kind of device and mechanics to perform the needed mechanical stretching.

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/2009...#ixzz0XAFQhnSz
      Last edited by Ballet Mom; 11-17-2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

i dont understand..does he yank the curve into place thru some kind of magic...if a curve could be straightened like that, why would surgery be needed...sounds like hocus pocus to me...could someone explain how he CLAIMS it works, cause i read some of the stuff & still dont get it! also sounds like total nonsense!

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
          i dont understand..does he yank the curve into place thru some kind of magic...if a curve could be straightened like that, why would surgery be needed...sounds like hocus pocus to me...could someone explain how he CLAIMS it works, cause i read some of the stuff & still dont get it! also sounds like total nonsense!

jess
          Hi Jess,

This may be the introduction of just the magnetic expansion control portion of the invention which may be used to adjust the growing rods in kids for scoliosis and limb lengthening externally instead of with surgery. I don't know.

With the MAGEC Technology, a single minimally invasive surgical procedure is completed. Then, during a series of simple outpatient visits, the physician will dynamically adjust the MAGEC Technology from outside the body via the MAGEC System’s control unit, thus eliminating the need for multiple highly invasive surgical procedures. The MAGEC System is designed to provide for spinal motion preservation, no long term permanent implant, and minimal trauma and scarring.
          It sounds like in the future (or perhaps now), they will insert an expandable rod, for the treatment of scoliosis by slow stretching of that ligament, which is under external control (the magnetic expansion control). The invention allows for surgical treatment of the spine without fusion of any of the vertebrae, and can be used not only for scoliosis, but also in pediatric orthopedics such as for leg or limb lengthening.

This is assuming that this is even the same invention! But it sure sounds like the same thing he developed. I have no idea about the specifics...it will be interesting to hear more about it!

Comment

Hi Balletmom
            thanks for your response...

"a single minimally invasive surgical procedure is completed"... i dont understand...it sounds so vague! what kind of procedure.. they go inside and place a rod or something, that is then controlled externally with a remote control...if they go inside, how is that not surgery....they keep talking about no need for surgery...anyway..it just sounds vague, wishy washy, & non specific....

i would be interested in hearing something clear....specific..as i am sure everybody else is....it doesnt sound like legitimate research or experimental procedure to me....

have a nice day...i am in nyc today for my botox shots in left thoracic area...

thanks again...
            jess
            Last edited by jrnyc; 11-18-2009, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X