6 days post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 days post op

I just wanted to give a little update on my surgery. I had a really hard time in the hospital. I could not keep anything down. everytime i took the pain meds my stomach would just be so sick. They finally switched me over to taking alltram(sp) and tyenol only. It has been so cold and rainy here today so i can't get out and walk like i need to. Just sitting and trying to take it easy and just recover. I had a lot of problems sleeping last night. I could not find a comfortable postition and each time i tried to roll over i had to log roll out and sit up and the reposition my self. Well that is about all i can do for now. going to go back to sleep for a while.
    Diagnosed @ at of 11
    Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
    Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
    (was told would never get worse)
    Surgery November 11, 2009
    Fused T6-T12
    Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
    Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

You're well on your way when you can sit up that first time and type out a post. It will get better from now on. Slowly does it!

Thanks for the update Loris.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Congratulatioins! You did it! Thanks for posting...I was wondering how you did. I was sick in the hospital as well...partly due to a migraine! I took the emesis basin every where with me. On the upside, after being on pain meds for 8 weeks, I lost fifteen pounds! Just due to lack of appetite.
      I, too am impressed that you are trying to reposition yourself. I am about 12 weeks post-op, and I am just now sleeping a little on my side. I slept with a ton of pillows and two under my knees. The sleeping will get esier as you get into a routine with pain meds, etc.
      Kathy, 43
      Diagnosed as a teen
      Boston brace 2 years
      63 degree lumbar curve
      Surgery August 26, 2009
      Anterior approach fused T12-L4
      now 28 degrees

Comment

You can post on here already? I think that's fantastic. The sleeping problems and nausea are no fun though. I hope each day is easier than the last. You did it. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I'm so glad to see you're posting. . .welcome back!!

It's a tough stretch of road you're on. . .but, by New Year's Eve, you'll be much better, and these early days will seem surreal.

I still (almost 3 mos post-op) can only sleep on my back.

Rest, eat nutritious food, and walk. ..recovery is a full-time job.

Hugs!
          Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
          Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
          Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Hi Loris
            congratulations on being on the other side...it is all healing from now on...
            i send you thoughts and prayers that you will feel better as the days pass....i hope your pain lessens & your joy increases...

wishing you a healthy, happy & pain free future!

jess

Comment

Hi Loris,

Good to hear from you, best wishes in your recovery. I had trouble sleeping as well. The best position i found was an elongated 'V' - two pillows under knees and two very slanted pillows under my head and shoulders - aaaaah nice!
              Vali
              44 years young! now 45
              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
              Post -op - 5 degrees
              T11 - S1 Posterior
              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Hi Loris,

I'm very impressed that you feel like posting so soon!!! You are not on heavy duty meds, makes me want to call you "Wonder Woman" and it makes me feel like a wimp.

I can't stop thinking how well you are doing, congratulations, but take it easy.

I never had less than 5 pillows with me. Sleeping is a very important part of how fast you recover. I couldn't sleep much sleep, and my doctor gave me some sleeping pills. They helped me a lot.

God Bless, you're doing great. Just don't get down if you have a bad day, it happens sometimes.

All my best,
                Shari

Comment

Hi Loris, glad to see you up and posting so soon -- sounds like surgery went well, When I first got home, could'nt sleep at night either -- I would be walking the floors, got most of my sleep in during the day. It gets better and better everyday! Like MGS says, you'll feel so much better by the holidays, and these days will be just a memory!
                  Dolores A
                  June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                  June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                  Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                  NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Never discount the morning nap. I think I had my best sleep from 8 am to 11 am everyday.
                    Kathy, 43
                    Diagnosed as a teen
                    Boston brace 2 years
                    63 degree lumbar curve
                    Surgery August 26, 2009
                    Anterior approach fused T12-L4
                    now 28 degrees

Comment

Hi Loris

Congratulations on being able to post so soon after surgery! You are "on the other side" now and on the road to recovery. "Log rolling and positioning" is part of the early stages of recovery. I had lots of trouble with this as well. I'm now nearing the three month post op mark and can tell you that positioning in bed is much better. I've found that recovery is a slow process and that you need to look back a week or so to see progress. But, the progress is there! I can now turn onto my sides, something that was impossible after surgery. I still cannot get comfortable on my sides but that will come in the next weeks.

Again, congratulations!

Karen
                      Karen, 66 years "young"
                      Polio at 6
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
                      Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
                      Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
                      Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
                      Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                      Three surgeries in one week:
                      8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
                      8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
                      9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Loris,

Your doing really well if your sitting up and log rolling on your own at 6 days and posting. I think I was 3 or 4 weeks post op before I was posting. Weeks 2-5 I was sooooo sick it was awful for me. I am coming up on 7 months right now and doing well aside of pain above my rods. I am going in on Dec 22 for injections to help with the pain, it burns and stings all the time. I have still continued to loose weight and the rods are sticking out, it feels like the muscles don't want to go over the rods...sounds silly but that's how it feels. Other than that little problem I am so happy that I this surgery under my belt and can get on with life :O) All pre surgery pain is GONE!!!!
                        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Hi Susan,

What did anyone say to you about still loosing weight, did you drop a lot after surgery? I went from about 145 lbs. down to 120 lbs. and holding, can't seem to gain an ounce! I did'nt mind my weight before surgery, looked healthier than I look now. My surgeon said not to worry though, it had something to do with my duodem (sp?) and should correct itself, but it's been a little over five months now.
                          Dolores A
                          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

[QUOTE
                            What did anyone say to you about still loosing weight, did you drop a lot after surgery? I

My theory with the weight loss is this: I had a baby 1 year prior to surgery and couldn't move well enough to loose all the weight so that's part of the weight I lost....25 pounds withing the first 3 weeks of surgery and the rest following. I steady out around 4-6 months and all of a sudden it's kicking in again. I'm about a size 2 which is what I was prior to the scoli progressing. I was a bodybuilder prior to this whole mess so I think my body is just remembering what it once was. I have lost a tremendous amount of muscle though. I will get it back once I return to the gym but I am giving my self a full year to let things settle. I chance my 20 month old so much that he is my workouts...I all so walk and do the elliptical which I was doing prior to surgery. I have been eating more lately, one night I had dinner at the ice rink where my kids play 45 minutes after we had dinner at home lol. Just can't keep up with all the healing maybe????
                            Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                            50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                            Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                            X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                            Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                            Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                            Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X