Pain from low pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone,

After surgery, I never doubted that my decision to have surgery was the right one. However, what I can't STAND is my constant wondering and worrying of the aches and pains that come and go. With me, I notice they come with the stressful times at work, which would make a logical person think...'ok it's all related to stress and I'm turning my back into spasms over the stress'. But still....my own mind wonders every single time this happens.

I just wish I could forget I ever had this surgery and just move on with my life. Thanks for listening to me whine.

Ed, I truly hope that your pain turns out to be nothing.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hey, Debbie,ditto on the worrying. Will it ever stop?
      Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
      Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
      T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
      Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
      Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
      Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
      Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
      Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
      Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Debbe -ditto on the worrying as well. Its almost like being a new mum with a baby!
        Like Dolores, i have a pain in my left butt cheek, however i don't think a screw could be in this are (could be wrong) but sometimes i feel like a bee has stung me - I'm a little because at my 5 months post-op two weeks ago, all is fine and he says to me,m lets make the next appt on your one year anniversay - June 1st, 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        I'm wondering if this is related to the nerves waking up or what.
        We're having a heatwave here, but i think a change is on its way, because i feel as if i have a corset on and its been pulled really tight!
        Vali
        44 years young! now 45
        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
        Post -op - 5 degrees
        T11 - S1 Posterior
        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Broke down and called my doc about that L butt cheek (or somewhere thereabouts -- the bony section) pain. He prescribed a steroid "six pack" to see if that would reduce the inflamation and pain. Just started it so will have to get back to you to let you know if it works. If not, it's a trip to the doc. Still taking it one day at a time!
          Les
          Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
          Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
          T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
          Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
          Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
          Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
          Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
          Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
          Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

steroids?

Hi Les,

I hope the steroids give you some relief, but I was really surprised that you were given then. I was told I could not even take Ibuprofen or Aspirin for a year, because the anti-inflamatory part would reduce the healing of my fusion. They have much less anti-inflamatory effect than steroids would.

You must have already shown some good fusion in that repair work you had in March. Do you know what material they used at the fusion site?

Sheri
            At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
            Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
            Excellent correction

Comment

Hi Les
              so sorry to hear that you are in pain...

did you mean by 6 pack that it is oral steroids...some kind of pills, like prednisone? when i first herniated discs & was in agony, that is what they gave me...worked like a charm..only problem was they had to wean me off them, & then the pain started to return! hope that doesnt happen with you....

i now get botox thoracic & steroid in lumbar...just putting off the inevitable, probably...but for now, i am managing to manage..with the help of pain management doctors, anyway....

hope you get relief from the pain with the treatment you are now being given....thoughts & prayers go out to you for a simple resolution to this problem...

best wishes
              jess

Comment

Hi Les, I called my surgeon also about the same issue you were having, he sent me for x-ray, so still don't know until he sees the x-rays. I did compare these x-rays with recent ones, my un-trained eye thought everything looked the same. The surgeon thought possibly just muscle pain and to take alieve until I see him with x-rays.
                Dolores A
                June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Good news,

I ended up going in to see my surgeon today, and of course, you guessed it, the pain mysteriously quit. I was in the elevator bending over trying to trigger my pain, and I couldn't trigger it. I was completely confounded in my meeting.

Anyway, after looking at the new x-rays and seeing that everything is ok, it was written off as a soft tissue injury. The soft tissues around the hardware. I think I triggered it clipping the toenails on my left foot. Sometimes, I have to pull a little to get down there.

I did clarify a question that was brought up in another thread, that Debbe answered, and my answer is the same as hers. My lumbar discs were removed in my anterior operation, and my thoracic discs were not removed. They will eventually fuse from being held in the same position over time.

Even with being "battle hardened" like I am, prepared for the worst possible news, ready for anything, it turned out that nothing was wrong.

And I now have permission to ski the "blacks" Wow!

I would like to thank everyone for their concern in this matter. I just wish that everyone's pain problems could be solved as easy as mine. Its nice to be "fine and dandy" at the same time again. What the heck does dandy mean? LOL

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

That's the best news today Ed. I can only imagine how confounded you were! But it all turned out great. You've got your life back. The relief must be flooding over you.

I will never, ever cut my toenails. You've cured me of the desire to force myself down there. It's small bikkies compared to what you've just been through.

I hope you have a little celebration tonight!
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Ed
                      so glad to hear your good news...maybe everyone should seriously consider pedicures form now on !! alot safer!

what does skiing "the blacks" mean? are they the highest mountains?

jess

Comment

Ed, I am so thrilled for you! I am glad you got it checked though. Sometimes I think we overdo it somehow and we just have to be smart enough to listen to our body and take it easy until we've gotten past it.

Have fun skiing! Do you have plans to go yet? Being you, I'm sure you do.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I've been watching this thread for an update. . .and I'm so glad I got to read good news!! Happy Thanksgiving!
                          Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                          Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                          Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Great news, Ed!

This is such a long road. I guess it's hard to not constantly get spooked but every pain.

I wish you smooth sailing.

sharon
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                              I will never, ever cut my toenails.
                              It can be done. I have the same fusion as yours and I thought I would never be able to cut my toenails again. We’re into the colder months here now and I just can’t see spending money for a pedicure every few weeks when my toes aren’t even showing. So while sitting on my guest room bed which is at a lower height I am able to bring one foot up to the end of the bed and then position it on to my opposite leg in such a way that gives me the range I need to safely cut my toenails. I can’t do any cuticle cleanup. I’ll save that for the pedicurist. I would never have been able to do this a year ago, but as time goes by I do find myself becoming more limber.

Comment

Ed --
                                I've been waiting to hear how you are doing. I'm so glad you got good news.

Have a great time skiing.

Sheri
                                At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                                Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                                Excellent correction

Comment

Working...
                                X