• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I concur, Doctor :P
    45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      Jimbo

Fluid expanding from lower pressure.

Ed
      Hi there Ed,

last winter when I was in the middle of my back PT for 3 months, I'd come in on low pressure days whining and complaining. My wonderful therapist assured me that it was because of the pressure, and said that on those days, MOST of her patients complained of more pain. When I asked how it could affect the body, she gave the same explanation--our bodies are a high percentage fluid, and the pressure affects it.

I hope all your pain gets better soon.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Well, I have to say, as pretty as the mountains are when it is snowing (and I hear they're expecting lots this w/e) I still wish I was there! Most beautiful thing Ive seen. Although, I'm sure if you were in pain at the time would take away from the prettiness. But, by the time we get snow here in the midwest we're dreading even going out of the house and wanting to pull the covers over our head. Gosh - snow already?!
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

As much as I think my hypothesis about low pressure is plausible,( I wish), I have something going on down low near my L4. I have had this acute burning pain (approx 1/2 inch circle) that started 4 days ago, and hasn't seemed to quit. It feels like a soldering iron some times.I figured Id try to sleep it off, but that hasn't worked. So for now, I'm sleeping like a cat, and I'm completely exhausted. Leaning and movement triggers this new burning pain.

I e-mailed my surgeon requesting that my 2 year appt be moved up, to asap.

I was pretty much pain free after my surgeries, it was fun while it lasted.

If there are no hardware problems, I was just wondering if there are there people who have had shots after being fused? I don't normally read the revision threads.
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Ed.

Maybe you have a pseudoarthrosis at that level? If only one level, that would be a very quick surgery, yes?

I hope you get that next appointment moved up to immediately. I'm guessing you are one of his favorite patients and he will do that if he can.

Good luck.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Good luck Ed. I hope you can get that appt. soon. How disappointing after being pain free for two years. It's scary for those of us also, who've been painfree since surgery. Just goes to show it's never really over, doesn't it? I look forward to hearing what your surgeon has to say, and what he'll do about it. Meantime, I hope it eases up for you and you can catch up on some good, long sleep.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                As much as I think my hypothesis about low pressure is plausible,( I wish), I have something going on down low near my L4. I have had this acute burning pain (approx 1/2 inch circle) that started 4 days ago, and hasn't seemed to quit. It feels like a soldering iron some times.I figured Id try to sleep it off, but that hasn't worked. So for now, I'm sleeping like a cat, and I'm completely exhausted. Leaning and movement triggers this new burning pain.

I e-mailed my surgeon requesting that my 2 year appt be moved up, to asap.

I was pretty much pain free after my surgeries, it was fun while it lasted.

If there are no hardware problems, I was just wondering if there are there people who have had shots after being fused? I don't normally read the revision threads.
                Ed
                Hi Ed,

Sorry to hear that you are having some pain now. You have been my poster boy for a very successful surgery. I hope you can get in soon to find out what is going on.

I may have to have shots. I am almost two years post-op and as you know I have never been pain free except for a few days here and there. The Doctors have found two areas of stenosis on my CT/Myelogram. They told me that I am fully fused and despite this nerve pain I have that I should still consider my surgery a success. I do agree with them, however the pain is most unwelcome. I am waiting to hear from them as to what they have decided to do for me. I'll keep you posted.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear this, Ed. Here's hoping the dr sees you very soon, and that it's a minor thing.
                  Last edited by mgs; 11-16-2009, 08:25 PM.
                  Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                  Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                  Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Oh, Ed, i hope it is really nothing.....at least, nothing complicated!

i have lots of shots..but i am pre-surgery......pre-pre-pre-surgery, actually

good luck..hope you feel better soon...
                    jess

Comment

Hi Ed,

I sure am sorry to hear about your low back pain. Hope it is something that can be fixed quickly ---and without surgery. Was there any event (fall, quick move in some direction) that happened before it started hurting?

I definitely feel the low pressure system that moved into my area today. The pressure dropped, it's cold and rainy and I'm aching. I've downed a couple Tylenol since I'm at work and can't enjoy a warm blanket right now.

My boys live near Denver and I'm headed out to visit around Xmas which is about 6 months post-op for me. I was a bit concerned that the lower pressure would cause me to ache more. So it was great to hear that you live at 4500 feet and have camped at 9000 and never had trouble with that kind of low pressure.
                      At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                      Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                      Excellent correction

Comment

That psuedo word! Ahhhh!!!! That's a nasty word around here. I hope not. It doesn't feel like anything is broken, there is no popping or grinding. The area is swollen.

I remember Geish had the same symptoms, the acute burning when her screw backed out last year.

I haven't done anything. Been laying very low. Must be the cheap wine I've been drinking lately. LOL

All I can do is wait for an appointment.
                        Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I can see why you are concerned. Sure hope it is something that can be simply rectified. So the burning continues on still--that is strange--since it seems due to nothing you can account for. My burning spot is lower neck/shoulder. My neck was always bad and we hoped surgery would maybe help some but by evening I get the burning spot and I feel like I need to hold up my head. Hope the appt. yields some good results for you. Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Ed-- prayers and thoughts that there will be a simple solution to the problem. So sorry there is a problem though... Hugs (gentle, of course!), Susie
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Oh, Ed, I'm so sorry to hear you're hurting. Must be timing. I'm hurting, too, on my left butt cheek. Is that where my screw could be? Anywhat it hurts like a, oh, can't say that. It hurts a LOT. And it almost stops me from walking. I started water aerobics a couple of weeks ago and I've been hoping it's just a muscle. Ice makes it worse. Heat helps, but as soon as I'm off the heating pad it starts back up. May be time to call my doc, too.

Hope you get to feeling better really soon. Hey, if both our screws are loose, maybe we should have surgery together! Just kidding.
                              Take care.
                              Les
                              Last edited by lapieper; 11-17-2009, 09:12 PM.
                              Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                              Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                              T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                              Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                              Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                              Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                              Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                              Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                              Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Hi Ed, hope you are feeling better, and hopefully you can get in to see your surgeon very soon, if just for a peace of mind that that there is not anything seriously wrong.

Les, I'm having that same pain lately, except on my right side. It does not feel like the sciatica pain that I had on my left side pre surgery, it feels like a sharp pain when I walk, it comes and goes -- I'm trying to ignore it, but just this evening when I went to the supermarket it was acting up. do you have any idea what it could be?
                                Dolores A
                                June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                                June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                                Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                                NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Working...
                                X