No announcement yet.

Pain from low pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My pain has continued, and even worsened a little. Had to have help getting in bed the other night as my leg kept giving out on me. It wasn't a sharp, shooting pain, just enough to take my breath away! Finished up the Prednisone six pack, and went to the Physician's Assistant yesterday. She gave me a cortisone injection in the area that was causing so much pain. It has taken the edge off the pain, but not resolved it. She said it was the head of that 7 cm screw in my pelvis that is causing the problem. They can go in and surgically remove the head of the screw. But I don't want to pursue that at this time. Want to give the injection a chance. So I'm doing ice packs, Ativan for the muscle spasms, and once again, taking it easy. It hurts so bad I can't even cry, but I sure want to cuss worse than a sailor! (Give me a week, I may be calling to schedule that procedure)

As far as toenails, I can trim them, but they end up being a little crooked. So most of the time I ask my hubbie for help, when he is cutting his. It feels weird having someone else do it, but considering I used to bite my tonails (over 30 years ago), I guess I can get used to this!

Have a great Thanksgiving Day, and remember, one day at a time!
    Les
    Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
    Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
    T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
    Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
    Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
    Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
    Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
    Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
    Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

That's great news, Ed. Gives you another thing to be thankful for on Turkey Day! Enjoy. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Yay, Ed!!!!

Funny how skiing doesn't seem as daunting as cutting your toenails at this point...but that's life after fusion, eh?
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Jess

Ski areas rate their slope difficulty with a color code and sign shape just like signage on the roads. A green circle is the easiest, blue square is intermediate, and black diamond is expert. They started using double black diamonds for the incredibly steep slopes I think around 1985.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...pest_ski_slope

Debbe, and now Chris

No, actually I do not have plans and I didn't buy a pass either. Yes I can ski, but I'm still nervous about it. I've told all my ski freak buddies that I cant rock n roll anymore, and that I had to be mellow about it. If you saw me ski full tilt, you would understand. I'm a master at turning the "chicken portion" of brain to the off position. I cannot let that happen ever again, and for good reason.

I have a blast teaching kids. A few years ago, I flew to Stowe for old times sake and skied with some friends for a week. One of the days, all the adults were whooped and wanted to hit the bar at noon.I declined, and took the boys out for some intense lessons.(I knew they had potential) It was boot camp for line study, weight shifting, and high speed carving, incorporated with large jumps. At the end of the day, we walked into the bar after the lifts shut down and the parents asked the boys "how fast did you go"? Ryan said,"about 60 mom".
          The boys couldn't sleep that night, and the next day wanted to continue skiing with "Uncle Ed" and split from the other adults. I guess I let the "cat out of the bag".

Les

Sounds painful. Giving the shot some time and laying low sounds like the proper course. I was amazed how my pain was pretty intense in one spot only, and how it suddenly quit, like an "on-off" switch. Sometimes you can do something to inflame an area, and the pain will hit "days" later, and relentlessly cripple you, then suddenly disappear. My pain was for 12 days.

I think that these "flare ups" might be part of our post-op course in the future. Its something that I am just realizing..... Its still much much better that my pre operative days living with twin 70s at age 49 and very thankful. Hopefully, this will pass.
          Happy Thanksgiving...
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

You see Ed,

I have one up on you, because I have ALWAYS been a big fat chicken. Turning off that portion of my brain simply doesn't happen. And since my surgery, I'm even more careful with myself.

I can understand why you'd be good at teaching kids. And it's not like you're teaching the KIDS to be daredevils, right?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Les, your pain makes ME cringe. I hope this cortisone injection helps. You've had your share of surgery. Take care and let us know how you get on.

As for the toenails, after reading about Ed's experience, I don't think I'll try. My partner does the job ok, even though it gives the giggles and I can't stop, for some reason.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Debbe
                No way!!!! LOL Just important fundamentals of the sport. Sometimes those fundamentals require occasional speed or small jump.

I have always skied all day long, and never hung in any lodge or ski bar. Good skiers don't do those things, they are out there on the mountain, all the time. I wouldn't stop for lunch, I would miss a run.

Jen
                You also have to consider that us guys are a lot tighter that you gals. I have to put a lot more effort into it than you would have to.

You gals have a great excuse here for getting your pedicures from now on. Pretty soon you will be thanking me for this. LOL
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed...thanks for the explanation....but it sounds kinda dangerous...to you & your back....to ski those things.....

couldnt you stick to teaching the kids on the "bunny trail"?

glad you are doing well..
                  jess

Comment

Working...
                  X