Rib Hump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for your responses!

What do you mean you lose your ability to twist? When you drive, are you still able to twist to see who's next to you? Are you still able to dance?
    http://mixasu.blogspot.com/

Comment

You don't have much ability to twist in the thoracic area anyway, so please don't worry. You mainly twist from the lumbar area. I'm fused T1-L4 (so I have just one vertebra that can move, at the bottom of my spine) but I can still twist round enough to drive And I can certainly dance, I spent my 20s out clubbing every weekend

Comment

My rib hump is considerably less than pre-op. I'm thrilled!

But. . .maybe I'm hallucinating. . .but I think it's more pronounced than it was a couple weeks ago. Could this be? (I have noticed, in this past week or so, that there is a feeling of tugging just to the right of the apex of my thoracic curve.)
        Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
        Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
        Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

MGS--
          I'm with you on that one. I think my rib hump is worse than in the beginning too. Part of it could be the first few months we're so out of it with pain, brain fog from meds, and just happy that it looks so much better than before that we tend not to notice. Part could be the swelling going down too. In fact this whole thread is making me think I'm the only one still with a rib hump and somehow I never really talked thoracoplasty with him and he thought the straightening would help with that and rotation. It's certainly better overall but I've got this leaning thing and also as time has gone on I noticed the rotation too--it's like my navel is off kilter an inch or so. I'm actually writing a list of ?'s for his nurse now but think this is not going to get better or have anything that can change it. I hope it doesn't get worse. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Ok... I'm with both of you. Initially i thought my rib hump and my hip-sticking out looked great. Now I'm thinking not so much. But I also continued to lose weight after my first look in the mirror and I think maybe it looks so pronounced cuz I'm a little bony. But I have to keep thinking it's better than it was...that much is obvious. My stomach looks slimmer b/c I'm not so scrunched!
            Sometimes I think I look great and other times I'm disappointed...though my doctor was very up front about not being able to completely correct me prior to surgery. And he and the other surgeons (and actually my PT) were extremely happy with the results. SO I think I have to move on....
            Kathy, 43
            Diagnosed as a teen
            Boston brace 2 years
            63 degree lumbar curve
            Surgery August 26, 2009
            Anterior approach fused T12-L4
            now 28 degrees

Comment

Kathy--
              I guess it is comforting in a way to know there are a few of us that feel this way. I know you're right about needing to move on. We want to rejoice and we are happy for all the super successes; it's just sometimes I feel like mine didn't quite get to where the others are. It's hard to even talk about since one doesn't want to seem ungrateful, I guess. As long as it's not going to get worse I can deal with this. Thanks for your response! Janet
              Janet

Comment

When everyone is speaking about rib hump, are you all speaking about the back ribs or the front? Before my surgery, I asked the surgeon about my ribs that jutted out on my left side in front if this would be corrected, he told me not 100%, but it would not look as pronounced. That is exactly what I got, it's still there, just not as obvious. Before the surgery, I could put me hand under the ribs they stuck out so much. But like most of you say, I am still so happy with my results in the pain and cosmetic department.
                Dolores A
                June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

I know what you're talking about on the front, Delores, and mine is better there too but certainly off with my leaning. The rib hump I'm referring to is on the back--a milder version of the "humpback" look I had before. My big curve was on that right side. It is actually less bothersome to me than the lean to the left. I apologize if it sounds like a whiney day here. Janet
                  Janet

Comment

I still have a rib hump on the right upper side. It is very frustrating and matter of fact I was out trying on clothes earlier tonight and still don't like the way I look in shirts (from the right side).

It's almost like my right shoulder blade doesn't lay right. I would've thought after the surgery it would not be so pronounced. I just hate the idea of going back under the knife as I am finally starting to "feel like myself again". No meds, and pretty good movement!

Comment

Hi everyone
                      i didnt know what a costoplasty was, so i googled it...anyway, after i read what it is, i looked at some of the other entries...

if you look at the entry from The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, there is a study under BoneSpine...that talks about corrections of rib humps with the costoplasty procedure...mentions something like (i dont remember exact numbers, trying to give an example) 30 correction right after surgery, 25 correction six months later, something along those lines...also concludes that the procedure corrects the rib hump as much as can be, & further surgery does not increase the correction...if i remember correctly...it discussed effects of the surgery on lung function also...

anyway, would suggest just googling "costoplasty" & checking out the results with the listings of research studies...

good night all
                      jess

Comment

90 degress with rib hump, surgery in June...

I have been reading all these posts with interest. I am scheduled for surgery for the first time on June 23rd with Dr. Boachie in New York. I hope to go back to work in Sept. (I am a teacher.) I went to Clear Institute in Minnesota in 2007 and since then my spine and rotated more and the hump is more pronounced.

I have a 90 degree curve and this will be my first surgery. Dr. Boachie at first suggested anterior/posterior surgery, but now he is talking about posterior only, that he can get the curve down to 55-60 degrees. He spoke about the rib humb surgery.

I am afraid of reduced lung function. Is this a result of the corrected rib hump? Does anyone know anything about Dr. Anand in California? He says that may be able to correct scoliosis with a minimally invasive procedure that will cause much less blood loss and an easier recovery. Thanks for your responses. Joy

Comment

If I get to hear a song as I go into surgery in July it's going to be one about miracles! Love the song. Thanks for putting it on your post.
                          Rita Thompson
                          Age 46
                          Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                          Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                          Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                          Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Are you speaking of Time For Miracles that I posted on my blog? If so, it's a beautiful song! The first time I heard it I almost cried. It reminded of Titanic, almost a bittersweet kind of song. Agreed - The last song I want to hear before surgery is definitely that song because it gives a sense of hope. Good luck with your surgery.

tonibunny - I am glad that you can dance! It's one of my favorite things to do. I would be crushed if I couldn't.

As far as the rib hump goes, I would hate to undergo the whole surgery and not get rid of it. I am not in any pain right now, although I have been warned that I will be in serious pain in a couple of years. The surgeon said that the surgery was inevitable and that it would be easier to recover at a younger age. The recovery advantage and the rib hump were the two main factors in my decision.
                            http://mixasu.blogspot.com/

Comment

Don't count on a rib hump correction as I didn't have any ribs removed and still have a hump. I try to hide it with a larger size top; however, it's still there even after surgery. I was hoping to get rid of mine too.

However, with Tylenol a couple times a day, I have much LESS pain since surgery!!

Comment

My Dr. was able to reduce the rib hump to where it is not even noticible and I did not have any ribs removed. He said it was the derotation and straighting that did it.
                                Patty 51 years old
                                Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                                Posterior T3- L4
                                Pre surgery curves
                                T-53degrees
                                L-38degrees
                                and a severe side shift to the right.
                                Post surgery curves
                                Less than 10 degrees
                                Surgery April, 2006
                                C4 - C6

Comment