Those of you who have gone out of state for surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those of you who have gone out of state for surgery

I am looking at revision surgery in the near future but have not decided on a surgeon. I noticed alot of you go out of your home state to have surgery. Have you found any problems with insurance coverage with that? How is it to travel with a newly operated on back? The surgeon I am considering is about a 4 hour drive from my home. Do you just dope yourself up for the drive and just go? I was in so much pain after my first surgery, I can't imagine riding that far. Although I must admit, I don't even remember the ride home from the hospital!
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Kristi,

my surgeon was out of state and there was absolutely no problem with the insurance. He was in my insurance network though, so that may account for the ease.

I only had 1.5 hr ride home in the car and it was tough. I got home and got right into bed and slept for hours.

I'm sorry you are needing more surgery. Good luck with your search & decision.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
      I am looking at revision surgery in the near future but have not decided on a surgeon. I noticed alot of you go out of your home state to have surgery. Have you found any problems with insurance coverage with that? How is it to travel with a newly operated on back? The surgeon I am considering is about a 4 hour drive from my home. Do you just dope yourself up for the drive and just go? I was in so much pain after my first surgery, I can't imagine riding that far. Although I must admit, I don't even remember the ride home from the hospital!
      As long as the surgeon was in my husband's insurance network, we were covered.

Since you won't be driving yourself home, you can coordinate taking your pain meds with leaving. Also, perhaps if you time your leaving to avoid rush hours and such, you won't have so long of a drive. W/my dd, our trip could be anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. When we came home after rush hour, it only took 2 1/4 hrs. Every little bit helps!

It was suggested to us that since we had a long drive home to stop about 1/2 way and let Paula stretch, but since she was sleeping, my husband just kept driving.

One thing my dd did like was that we bought her a little neck pillow that goes around the neck for the ride home. We also had a lot of pillows, but she just mainly used the neck pillow then and for several weeks afterwards.

Good luck to you!
      Marian

Comment

Working...
      X