Epiphany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dingo View Post

Pick a common, lethal disease and google it's name with Osteopontin. Chances are good you'll find a connection. I'm not saying I have the answer but something is definitely going wrong in these kids bodies. Kids aren't commonly programmed to become fatally ill.
    I would think there would be a connection of osteopontin to all of these diseases, because as I recall when I was looking into it, osteopontin was a normal part of the body's immune systems response....for what it's worth.

Comment

120/80

Ballet Mom

Osteopontin levels are probably something like blood pressure. If your blood pressure is too low you'll pass out but if it's high it slowly or even rapidly destroys your internal organs.

Maybe if Osteopontin levels are low the body will be overrun with infection. On the flipside high Osteopontin is associated with a myriad of fatal diseases.
      Last edited by Dingo; 11-05-2009, 08:07 AM.

Comment

It's related as in it causes them? Or it's related as in it shows up at the same time? Depression is also related to most major illnesses, but presumably as a result rather then a cause.

Just trying to figure out the relationship.

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
        Ballet Mom

Osteopontin levels are probably something like blood pressure. If your blood pressure is too low you'll pass out but if it's high it slowly or even rapidly destroys your internal organs.

Maybe if Osteopontin levels are low the body will be overrun with infection. On the flipside high Osteopontin is associated with a myriad of fatal diseases.

Comment

Osteopontin

Hdugger

It's probably impossible to generalize about Osteopontin and the dozens of diseases it's associated with. However in the case of Scoliosis Dr. Moreau is very clear. Blocking OPN stops Scoliosis 100% of the time in mice. OPN is part of the human immune system so for obvious reasons they can't run that experiment on humans, especially children. However what they can measure in humans ties OPN directly to Scoliosis.

Children with Scoliosis have dangerously high levels of OPN and the higher the level the worse the curve is. Interestingly enough bracing can lower OPN levels.

I could be wrong but to me it sounds like inflammation is going haywire in the spine. Pushing the back straight reduces the stress on the vertbebrea and this reduces the level of inflammation. I'm not sure if they know what triggers this process in the first place but the mainstream view is that the nervous system has been damaged.

Don't be surprised if 10 years from now scientists announce that Scoliosis is triggered by the damage caused by an infection in genetically susceptible children. A lot of things appear to be headed that way...

PANDAS: A link between strep throat and OCD

Herpes Virus Link To Preterm Birth And High Blood Pressure During Pregnancy

Pathogen That Causes Disease In Cattle Also Associated With Crohn's Disease - Research Urgently Needed To Evaluate Potential Risks To Humans
          Last edited by Dingo; 11-05-2009, 01:47 PM.

Comment

oi

. . .double oi.

If you read long and hard enough, you can make anything fit your own theory. I still say your wrong, only because I am not yet convinced.

p

Comment

The Brain/Heart Connection to - well, it appears - everything!

Dingo, CD, Ballet Mom & Hdugger -

As i begin the search for cure (or remission) with my sister for her small cell cancer (extended), i was somewhat amazed to find reference to many things discussed in this thread; specifically how psychology affects biology, and how while one appears a hard science, so is the other (though lesser understood).

Regarding Cancer:
              Since its first identification as a transformation-associated protein, osteopontin (OPN) has been recognised as important in the processes of tumorigenicity and metastasis. Here, we review the evidence that OPN might be considered as a candidate prognostic marker in human cancer. In animal systems, evidence from cell injection experiments and genetically manipulated mice suggest an important but complex role for the protein in tumour progression. Moreover, studies in a variety of human cancers associate high levels of OPN expression in tumours or in blood with more advanced cancers. The mechanism of action of OPN in promoting cancer is still unclear, and we consider aspects of OPN biology that can complicate interpretation of human studies. Nevertheless, growing evidence supports a role for OPN as a potential prognostic factor for various human cancers. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC164297/

Osteopontin: a bridge between bone and the immune system
              OPN is a phosphorylated glycoprotein secreted by activated macrophages, leukocytes, and activated T lymphocytes, and present in extracellular fluids, at sites of inflammation, and in the ECM of mineralized tissues (5, 6). This cytokine mediates important cell-matrix and cell-cell interactions. OPN is abundant in bone, where it facilitates the attachment of osteoclasts to the bone matrix via an interaction with cell surface αvβ3 integrin and CD44, the hyaluronic acid receptor (7). OPN–/– mice have a subtle bone phenotype, with delayed and impaired bone resorption (7). In the immune system, OPN plays a role in chemotaxis, leading to the migration of macrophages and dendritic cells to sites of inflammation. Activation of T lymphocytes results in an increase in OPN transcription, hence its alternative designation as Eta-1. Weber et al. have demonstrated that OPN is a T lymphocyte suppressor factor and that it enhances B lymphocyte Ig production and proliferation (8). In addition, OPN is an important cytokine mediating Th1 immunity (9).

OPN interacts with a variety of cell surface receptors, including the αvβ3, αvβ5, αvβ1, α4β1, α8β1, and α9β1 integrins, as well as CD44. Binding of OPN to these cell surface receptors stimulates cell adhesion, migration, and specific signaling functions. The major integrin-binding site in OPN is the arginine-glycine-aspartate (RGD) integrin-binding motif, which is required for the adherence of many cell types to OPN. However, other sequences within OPN have also been shown to mediate cell adherence. For example, cleavage of human OPN by thrombin exposes the SVVYGLR sequence (SLAYGLR in the mouse), promoting the adherence of cells expressing α9 and α4 integrins. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC164297/

The Brain, Heart & Electromagnetic Energy - Some pretty deep reading:
              http://www.arlenetaylor.org/brain-re...agnetic-energy

In the field of what may be called psychology as it relates to biology, a truly compelling video offered by Greg Braden (Scientist/Geologist), and cancer survivor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmMNlmn1DPc

Sharon - you are right (imo), the brain is where future research will make its greatest strides. I would add that it may be found that the heart plays also a great role in all of that.

What does all this have to do with scoliosis and the central nervous system? More perhaps, than we understand.
              Last edited by mamamax; 01-02-2011, 09:35 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Greg Bradden video

I'm watching the Greg Bradden video and it's pretty interesting.

It reminded me of a story on sciencedaily that I read the other day.

Evidently the Placebo effect works... even when the subject knows it's a placebo.

ScienceDaily: Placebos Work -- Even Without Deception

"Not only did we make it absolutely clear that these pills had no active ingredient and were made from inert substances, but we actually had 'placebo' printed on the bottle," says Kaptchuk. "We told the patients that they didn't have to even believe in the placebo effect. Just take the pills."
                ...patients taking the placebo doubled their rates of improvement to a degree roughly equivalent to the effects of the most powerful IBS medications.
                "I didn't think it would work," says senior author Anthony Lembo, HMS associate professor of medicine at BIDMC and an expert on IBS. "I felt awkward asking patients to literally take a placebo. But to my surprise, it seemed to work for many of them."
                The mind has more impact on our health and well being than we currently understand.

Comment

could someone please tell my herniated discs, spinal stenosis, and spinal arthritis about "placebo effect"?!! might as well talk to my listhesis and hypokyphosis at the same time..

i've studied psych and social work for some 30 years now, and i know all about the power of suggestion, etc...

i also know what my curves look like on an X ray...and HOW DAMN MUCH PAIN my discs are causing me!!
                  if any doctor or surgeon talked to me about my brain taking on my pain, i'd walk out and never go back!

doctors told me for a year and a half that i was a hypochondriac, because they didn't know enough to test me for Lyme disease...
                  surprise! as soon as they did the right test, up popped the illness invading my brain and putting me in a wheelchair!
                  and never once did a single doctor (all males, by the way) say "we know you are sick, we just don't know what it is yet"...never! they said "our tests say you're not sick, so you're not sick"

doctors need to be careful with that placebo stuff!
                  people in pain are in pain!

all i'm sayin'...

jess
                  Last edited by jrnyc; 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I agree that there's a balance between encouraging our minds to "heal" our body, and being told that it's all in our heads (or all our fault).

On the placebo side, I've always been fascinated by the idea that warts can by hypnotized away. I mean, if my mind already knows how to make a wart go away, why does it need hypnosis to do it. Yet, it appears to work.

On the other side, the single most awful second-hand disease experience I've had was watching a Christian scientist dying of aggressive breast cancer. That she held out on the treatment for so long probably didn't matter in the long run - she had so very little chance of beating the cancer no matter what she did. The awful thing was that she felt that her illness and death was a referendum on her faith, and not just the way this disease inevitably played out, and she went out feeling like a personal failure for not overcoming the cancer.

Somewhere between those two ideas lies a possible path.

Comment

I think adults should be free to refuse treatment like that. These are Darwin Award winners and that is their right.

And they should of course go to jail for refusing the identical treatment for minor children. The charge should be homicidal stupidity.
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

power of the mind

I think the mind has a powerful impact on health for reasons we don't yet understand.... but don't get me wrong, it's only one factor.

For instance vitamin C might be good for the body but it's not the only thing that keeps us healthy. We need exercise, a healthy diet, good sleep habits, etc. etc.
                        Last edited by Dingo; 01-03-2011, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X