Movement questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movement questions

I'm being told that I need my full back fused, to the pelvis, and I'm just wondering if someone that has had this surgery can tell me what I'm looking at movement wise for the rest of my life.

Hello bamy. I am 8 months post op today. I am fused T4 - pelvis. Life pretty much goes on as normal. The way I do some things has changed but there aren't many things I can't do. I bend with my knees and can pick objects up from the floor. I can't cut my toenails. I get in and out of a car slowly. I have no pain. I am allowed to lift 10 kilos provided I hold it close to my body. This has been the case for over 2 months now.

Any other questions, just fire away.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I am fused T2 through S2, screws in pelvis. I cannot twist, or bend side to side. I bend from my hips, not my waist. I am 19 months post-op (from 1st surgery). And I am accommodating all the "new" moves without even being aware of it. The soreness is slowing fading away, and I am now doing water aerobics and walking lots. Piece of cake... now.
      Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
      Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
      T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
      Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
      Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
      Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
      Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
      Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
      Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

I am fused T12 -S1 and movement is like being 7 months pregnant! I had no problems moving when I was pregnant with both of my daughters because I was used to moving that way with my back. I even got in and out of a Corvette when I was 9 months pregnant without any help (I did it to win a bet). You learn to bend with you legs instead of you back.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Is it worth it?

Would you say the surgery was worth having?

Comment

For me, most definitely.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

For me it wa definitely worth it - I wanted my quality of life back. Have too many things I want to achieve - this is just a little bit of a setback.
              Vali
              44 years young! now 45
              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
              Post -op - 5 degrees
              T11 - S1 Posterior
              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

For me surgery was definitely worth it. I was told that with the rate my curve was progressing, I would be dead by age 30. When my daughter had to have surgery for scoliosis, we didn't hesitate. My mom asked me 30 years after having my surgery if it was worth it and I told her that it was! She always worried that I resented the fact that I had to have surgery and be in a plaster body cast for 9 months. I think it made it easier during pregnancy as I was already used to not bending at the waist and I had extra support from my rod and fusion. I never let my fusion stop me from doing things - sometimes I had to adapt.
                T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
                X