No announcement yet.

Schroth clinical studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The above is the interpretation of the Baltimore Sun's article by a CLEAR Institute chiropractor called Will Kalla. Here is the original article in the newspaper itself - the doctor seems to be an advocate of traditional methods. Remember that "symptoms" can include pain and stiffness, which we all know exercise can help with

http://www.fixscoliosis.com/wp-conte...isSymptoms.jpg

Comment

"Quackwatch didn't dismiss Schroth."

Perhaps not outright, but when searching Schroth on their site, a textbook scoliosis treatment page come up with some pretty misleading and blatantly wrong information:

"Curvatures that measures between 10 and 20 degrees bear watching. These behave much the same as those under 10 degrees (and thus would cause no problem later in life), except that they may progress during growth. Therefore, if a patient has finished growing and has a curve less than 20 degrees, no further treatment or follow-up is needed."

"Treatment options include bracing and surgery. Bracing works well for curves of up to 45 degrees. The smaller the curve, the more effective the brace. Beyond 45 degrees, a brace will be ineffective, and surgery is the treatment of choice."

"The mainstay of scoliosis management is early detection. If the curve progresses to the point that treatment is needed, a brace is prescribed. In 90% of such cases, a brace will work very well."

This is scary stuff, and was written by an orthopedic surgeon, not specializing in scoliosis-clearly. Which is why I would not use Quackwatch as part of the scoliosis solution.

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
        The above is the interpretation of the Baltimore Sun's article by a CLEAR Institute chiropractor called Will Kalla. Here is the original article in the newspaper itself - the doctor seems to be an advocate of traditional methods. Remember that "symptoms" can include pain and stiffness, which we all know exercise can help with

http://www.fixscoliosis.com/wp-conte...isSymptoms.jpg
        Exactly, It makes sense to do the exercises. So why isn't that part of the solution instead of watch and wait?

If you correct posture and movements with the back to help align the and elongate the spine. The derotation of the spine gets tricky and the brace and PT would be beneficial.

The obvious is the spine is very dynamic and movable. If the problem lies with neurological and physiological it only makes sense to correct the brains preconception of positioning along with realigning the spine manually and hopefully avoid surgery.

Wondering who has done PT or Schroth? The evidence is that by doing the correct type of exercises improves the quality of life.
        age 15
        Daughter diagnosed at age 13
        T20 l23 10-09
        T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
        T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
        T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
        Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
        Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

I guess I was trying to say that most (sensible) types of physical exercise can help with pain and stiffness, whether you have scoliosis or not Here in the UK, if you have those symptoms you can be referred for general physio on the NHS. I've done that when I've needed it on occasion and it has helped enormously, but I keep fit and do a lot of exercise myself (cycling, swimming and mountain climbing) so I don't have too much trouble with pain anymore and my quality of life is certainly improved.

I have a couple of friends who have reported that Schroth has helped them to manage scoliosis pain and to build their core stability muscles so they stand taller and look better posturally. They can't tell if they would have had similar results if they had had the same amount of ordinary physio in the same intense timescale, but they're very happy that they tried it

Comment

I would have to agree, we need a study showing the results...so we can get insurance coverage. This is what is needed to make the medical world take notice.
            Studies that I would love to read up on would be Spinecor...long term results..independent study not related to the company or with financial interest.
            Schroth , physical therapy...and another in conjunction with the brace. chenaeu brace.

I have to believe there is more than just surgery out there.

the brace theory makes some sense, but its not complete. The one thing that was mentioned about Spinecor is the fact the brace wraps around the shoulders and legs. This may restrict elongation of the spine. anyone have input on that?

Of course if the degree is at a point and surgery is the only answer, I would still hesitate because of the seriousness of surgery...it always hard to make that choice.

currently we are waiting and watching... stopped doing schroth due to cost out of pocket was substantial.

We will be focusing on her diabetes, starting pump therapy this month.

I don't like waiting...hoping that her scoliosis doesn't progress significantly
            age 15
            Daughter diagnosed at age 13
            T20 l23 10-09
            T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
            T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
            T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
            Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
            Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

daughter's curve improved

after 2-1/2 years of my daughter doing schroth exercise we finally can claim a progress that is more than the 5 degrees margin of error. her last x-ray had shown 30T-30L (from 37T-35L). her hump due to rib rotation is not visible now than before, we can't see the hump unless we ask her to bend.

it may not be much reduction, but it gives us hope and encouragement.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbluefrog View Post
                The one thing that was mentioned about Spinecor is the fact the brace wraps around the shoulders and legs. This may restrict elongation of the spine. anyone have input on that?
                I do have some input on that. Strap placements (which are attached to a bolero) vary according to curvature patterns. I have a right Thoracic curve and a left thoracolumbar curve. Placement definatley does not restrict elongation for me - as was evidenced by immediate before and after x-rays and height measurements.

Comment

Congrats Edd,

Is your dd wearing a brace too??
                  2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
                  Treatment: Cheneau brace
                  2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

Originally posted by AILEA View Post
                    Congrats Edd,

Is your dd wearing a brace too??
                    Thanks Ailea,

Yes, she was wearing cheneau brace but her doctor asked her to stop wearing it during her last visit.

Comment

interesting

Bluefrog,

Very interesting ideas you bring up.....

When my daughter did PT, one of my frustrations was the neurological aspect of the disease was not addressed.

My daughter's brain, no doubt ,does not orient her spine corrrectly in response to gravitational forces. Neuromuscular rehabilitation has to be a key component of any alternative therapy. Now if someone would just figure out HOW to take NMR principles and make them work in scoliosis cases.

Comment

Originally posted by hope404 View Post
                        My daughter's brain, no doubt ,does not orient her spine corrrectly in response to gravitational forces.
                        Judging from the universal difficulty people have in learning to ride were absolute balance and symmetry are required, I'd say virtually everyone's brain has the same problem.

And yet most don't have scoliosis. Maybe it's a matter of degree though again, most people who try never make it out of the lower levels of dressage at least. There is a reason for that and it seems neurological given how people just can't seem to sense where their body is enough for riding without endless hours of practice and correction and repeating that.

People who ride starting when they are kids do better in general but I chalk that up to simply more wet saddle blankets. Some chalk it up to more pliable bodies and minds and there is something to be said for that. You can't think your way up the levels... you have to feel your way up. Kids don't try to think whereas the great run of adults will get bogged down in it.

I think most of this is relevant to your comment.
                        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                        X