• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shell, what a great name for a tortoise xD
    45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

hey there

Hey there,

I have used acupuncture more than a couple of times for pain and it works to relieve ‘in my own opinion” about 15%-50% of the pain but not all of it. It is best when nothing else is working, for me.

If you find that your pain is tissue related, look into Graston. Graston is soft tissue work that does wonders for breaking up scars and tissues that don’t work right.

Comment

So I saw the doctor today for my shoulder. The intern came in and had no idea what was wrong with me. The doctor came in and asked me a bunch of questions and then described exactly the pain I was experiencing. He said I have scapular tendonitis (I actually wonder if he meant bursitis) that is not related to my back and he gave me a cortisone shot. I feel better already in that area. My arm is still really bothering me so maybe I need to go back to the neurologist for that. I cried on the way home from the doctor. I just can't believe that I've been in awful pain for 9 years, have been to countless doctors and this is all it was. I'm not completely convinced though. It seems too good to be true. I'm to start PT soon (I'll go to a different one than before. He gave me a list of people he recommended.) and if my pain comes back, he'll try another cortisone shot.

Avis - That's a great name for your tortoise! Did you find that PT aggravated things? I may check out that doctor.

frolicin - I'm glad acupuncture has brought you some relief. I will look into it if my pain returns.
        Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
        2003- 33 degrees
        2005- 37 degrees
        2006- 44 degrees
        May 2007- 47 degrees
        December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
        Fused T1 to L2
        Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Hi Shell,

You have already been given a lot of great advice, I just feel the need to chime in here.

I am fused from T-1 to L-5 with 5 disc' removed,a rib and some hip bone, I was 45 at the time, very active and in good shape other than my back, of course.

I was never promised a pain-free life, just the stoppage of progression. I had a rough recovery, and a long one to boot. It was 3 years until I could say I started to feel as "normal" as possible. I was on heavy duty meds for at least 2 1/2 yrs. I was getting so depressed that I just about had enough.

I kept that inside, what a mistake. My family Dr., who knows me very well, noticed the changes in me. He told me I had symptoms of depression. He put on Cymbalta, which is for depression associated with chronic pain. It took a month or so to adjust meds, then once I felt better, I started to realize that a lot of my back pain came from me being so tense and stressed. Now I a new person.

Talk to your Dr., there is no shame in admitting we need help sometimes!!!
          I'm not a Dr., just someone sharing an experience that may help you.

Don't wait like I did, if you can relate to what I've said.

Your on my mind,
          Take care,
          Shari

Comment

Hi Shari,

Thanks for your response. My husband mentioned last week that I was depressed. I had never really thought about it until then. I'm going to start counseling next week. Thanks for mentioning Cymbalta. I will definitely keep that in mind if my mental state does not improve. I told my mom today that I realized I was depressed and she said she had noticed it too but never wanted to say anything. My pain is better now, but I still have a significant amount. You'd think I wouldn't be as depressed since I'm feeling better.

Thanks again Shari!
            Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
            2003- 33 degrees
            2005- 37 degrees
            2006- 44 degrees
            May 2007- 47 degrees
            December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
            Fused T1 to L2
            Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment