Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jimbo

Since were on the subject of "beasts" and its acceptable to post beasts**t

I'm cooking roast beast tonight! Does that make me "the beast of burden"?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tRdBsnX4N4

Remember "the beasty boys" We were force fed this years ago. They caused my scoliosis with that single note bass line. LOL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8UJ-5idmDQ

After, I'm playing "the beastmaster" Its gotta be good,it has Rip Torn in it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beastmaster_(film)

What I don't understand is, if 3% of the population has scoli, wouldn't you think that they would at least, find NSF online, and try to learn about their scoli instead of absorbing all this beasts**t ?

Where is everybody?
    Listening to the beasty boys?
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

wow I mean I'm not a doctor but wouldn't it take a great deal of power to break titanium? I have titanium rods and I'm pretty sure thats what they make parts of spaceships out of :]

Comment

I attended Clear Institute...

As I've posted before, I attended Clear Institute in 2007 for two weeks of intense treatment. I was not ultimately pleased with the results, although I know that there are many who say that they have been helped.

I can hear that some people get very indignant about this. Suffice it to say that after reading on this website about the many people who live uneventful lives after fusion, I take such studies with a grain of salt. I feel certain that there are scores of people out there who are going about their lives after fusion without focusing on their scoliosis enough to even go on a forum!

Would the compassionate surgeons whom people have encountered be so callous as to continue performing these surgeries if the "disabled" rate was so high? Would we not be informed of this risk? A surgeon whom I saw yesterday warned me of the risk of paralysis, even though it is extremely low.

I have avoided surgery for many years. I am 57 and thank G-d have had no pain and have had a normal life. But there is a limit to how much chiropractic can do to move bone and correct deformities. My thoracic scoliosis is now 90 degrees and I found out yesterday that my lung function is reduced 50%, although I am not aware of it. I am planning to have surgery in June.

I believe that the people at Clear truly believe what they are saying and that they have seen many people with problems from surgery, but they are not seeing the many who are thriving.

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by joyfull View Post
          As I've posted before, I attended Clear Institute in 2007 for two weeks of intense treatment. I was not ultimately pleased with the results, although I know that there are many who say that they have been helped.

I can hear that some people get very indignant about this. Suffice it to say that after reading on this website about the many people who live uneventful lives after fusion, I take such studies with a grain of salt. I feel certain that there are scores of people out there who are going about their lives after fusion without focusing on their scoliosis enough to even go on a forum!
          Joyfull,

I understand you're giving them the benefit of the doubt ... really.

You bring up a valid point about those of us who stick around here: We do have lives, but the main reasons we stick around here are A) for support, and B) to protect others from buying a treatment that hasn't produced one single case of concrete proof their method actually works.

Even if they believe in what they're doing, wouldn't you think continuing it (and continuing to believe in it) - minus any tangible evidence of success - (at the very least) makes them inept?

All CLEAR can do (ever does) is consistently knock down *valid* treatment using outdated information, misinformation and flat out lies. They've prevented quite a few people who've come here from receiving effective treatment in a timely manner.

NO proof ... and yet they still keep taking patients, as long as the patients will pay.

Sad.
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

More about Clear.

Before I went to Clear, I spoke to several people who said that Dr. Woggon worked wonders for them. However, they were young and the curves were small. I spoke to an older woman who felt that Clear had corrected her posture and eliminated her pain. I met her in Minnesota and it didn't seem as if her bones had moved. Plus, the exercise regimen was almost impossible to do if you work. I also had to buy a scoliosis chair with straps and a vibrating base, which I was supposed to sit in for half an hour, twice a day. I understand that the exercises now have been streamlined.

By the way, the vibrating chair is supposed to strengthen your bones, not correct your curve. It is based on a study done at NYU with rats, where exposure to a certain vibrational frequency encouraged bone growth. I actually read about this in the New York Times, and I'm sorry I can't quote the study. So there may be some method to his madness! All the best, Joy

Comment

Originally posted by joyfull View Post

By the way, the vibrating chair is supposed to strengthen your bones, not correct your curve. It is based on a study done at NYU with rats, where exposure to a certain vibrational frequency encouraged bone growth. I actually read about this in the New York Times, and I'm sorry I can't quote the study. So there may be some method to his madness! All the best, Joy
              Ahhh, interesting. Now if only we could get an independent reading of Clear's radiographs to see if they really are making any difference. I should think they would willingly want to put their results up for verification by an independent orthopedist for everyone to see the amazing breakthroughs they are making in scientific research. They could win a Nobel!

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast02nov_1.htm

"The vibrations are very slight," notes Stefan Judex, assistant professor of biomedical engineering at the State University of New York at Stony Brook, who worked on the research. The plate vibrates at 90 Hz (1 Hz = 1 cycle per second), with each brief oscillation imparting an acceleration equivalent to one-third of Earth's gravity. "If you touch the plate with your finger, you can feel a very slight vibration," he added. "If you watch the plate, you cannot see any vibration at all."
              /
              /
              Clinton Rubin, a professor of biomedical engineering at SUNY Stony Brook and principal investigator for the study, cautions that more experiments are required before scientists can be sure that vibration therapy is effective for people. "Animals are different than humans," he notes. And even among humans there are important variables, like nutrition and genetic make-up. What works for post-menopausal women (who often suffer from osteoporosis) might not work for astronauts in space.

Comment

Even assuming external vibrations make bone stronger, what is the evidence that making bones stronger helps AT ALL with scoliosis? Have they shown this decreases the curvature rate? Has Stitzel determined the vibration frequency of his modified handheld jig saw? Is he using that in any type of experiment where he can determine if it is having any effect whatsoever? Has he told the patients they are paying for a transparently experimental (and partially nutty) "treatment" with no evidence of efficacy?

So many questions!
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

So what does that mean..i would still have severe curves, but they would be...stronger...???? how exactly would that help anyone with scoliosis???

very confusing...& mind boggling...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                    So what does that mean..i would still have severe curves, but they would be...stronger...???? how exactly would that help anyone with scoliosis???

very confusing...& mind boggling...

jess
                    Great questions. I wish someone would post them over on Fixscoliosis's forum.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

info.....info...info...????

Seems to be alot of confusion about CLEAR's techniques.....
                      The simplified version I've gotten is they first try to get the curve flexible...(the jigsaw helps in this process, among other things)

Once flexible, they are able to get the curve extremely low in the traction chair.....

BUT....once out of the chair(and other equipment...) the curve will start going up again....

So...how to keep the reduction?????...this is where they are starting to come up with some new neuromuscular rehabilitation ideas that are very promising.

This is my understanding of the process at this time...

I will say, they encourage early intervention as the larger, older curves are way more difficult to reduce. I would not use CLEAR if I had an older, large curve...

Comment

Originally posted by hope404 View Post
                        Seems to be alot of confusion about CLEAR's techniques.....
                        The simplified version I've gotten is they first try to get the curve flexible...(the jigsaw helps in this process, among other things)
                        What proof does Stitzel have that the jigsaw helps make the curve flexible? I mean I have tried and tried and can't imagine that guy designing an experiment that would show this. How is he measuring flexibility? Do you feel you are being skeptical enough? Are you being skeptical at all?

Once flexible, they are able to get the curve extremely low in the traction chair.....
                        How do they know? Do they shoot a radiograph every session?

BUT....once out of the chair(and other equipment...) the curve will start going up again....

So...how to keep the reduction?????...this is where they are starting to come up with some new neuromuscular rehabilitation ideas that are very promising.
                        Promising? Why aren't they paying you to fund their experimentation on your daughter? How is it promising? Where is ANY preliminary data? Is it all in Stitzel's imagination?

This is my understanding of the process at this time...

I will say, they encourage early intervention as the larger, older curves are way more difficult to reduce. I would not use CLEAR if I had an older, large curve...
                        Very convenient to try to work with more small curves, the very ones that don't tend to progress. Ice cream therapy works equally well on the small curves, by the way.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Well, it is about time that someone mentioned the cure all of the 20th & 21st centuries..i refer, of course, to ice cream therapy, the known cure for PMS, depression, & every other ill that plagues man & woman kind....since sugar works on the same part of the brain as alcohol & antidepressants, i dont know why we cant just cure scoli with ice cream...

there, case closed..& i dont think this is so far away from some of the other treatments mentioned in non surgical section of forum!!

here's to sugar for all!

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                            Well, it is about time that someone mentioned the cure all of the 20th & 21st centuries..i refer, of course, to ice cream therapy, the known cure for PMS, depression, & every other ill that plagues man & woman kind....since sugar works on the same part of the brain as alcohol & antidepressants, i dont know why we cant just cure scoli with ice cream...

there, case closed..& i dont think this is so far away from some of the other treatments mentioned in non surgical section of forum!!

here's to sugar for all!

jess

Post of the month nomination!

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Thank you, thank you..all accolades gratefully accepted...though the sugar cure has been known to PMS victims every month, month after month, starting around age 13 or so!!

regards...
                              jess

Comment

Working...
                              X