No announcement yet.

Rods break 100% of the time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have learned not to believe everything I read on the internet, because that is how World War II got started. The sentences I posted on my initial thread were from a letter somebody had sent in to the "Clear Institute". The letter was in their "case study" folder. I can't believe that they would post such a letter with all the skewed information.

http://www.clear-institute.org/Benef...3/Default.aspx

Rich.

I was kidding about WWII!

Comment

What evil deceiving bastards
      45L/40T
      Surgery 25/1/2010
      Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
        I can't believe that they would post such a letter with all the skewed information.
        I can. They have tapped into a desperate crowd of folks who are too scared to get the facts and some who don't want the facts but prefer wishful thinking.

Chiros running a business are not able to help people with scoliosis. They have no relevant training. Hence we have Stitzel, a Clear guy, who buys a hand-held power tool from Home Depot (or wherever) and claims the two settings produce frequencies that just happen to match something the body needs to cure scoliosis.

You can't make this stuff up. Truth is stranger than fiction.
        Last edited by Pooka1; 11-01-2009, 12:02 PM.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I have yet to see a Clear client with permanent results

After all these years. I want to see the Clear patients' before and after and long term results.

Please, all you successes, come forward!!!! Educate us and rescue us from our ignorance.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1
            It seems Clear is a religion based on faith and wishful thinking, not a treatment based on science and evidence.

I have liked going to chiros in the past, but when i informed my chiropractor that i was thinking about having surgery and why he pretty much interrupted me and didnt let me finish the important reasons why for example that its harder to breathe and i have been having pains around my heart and of course pain near my biggest curve. I think major organs is a big reason to have the surgery done because im only 25 just think when im 30 how much worse it could be if i dont do anything now. But my point was, lol, that he interrupted me telling me how invasive it is and how he could help me out a lot by going to see him 2 or 3 times a week. Like i have the money for the! seriously. Sometimes i think all they want is money. Yes they do make you more flexible and feel better for a short time, but im talking about long term. And he was acting like i havent looked into surgery and given it much thought. I have been researching it for about 6 months! I have done my homework. They make me so mad sometimes. geez Im so glad to be able to chat with all of you on this forum.

Bethany
            -Bethany
            pre-op L 74*
            pre-op Th 56*
            surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
            getting nervous

Comment

Originally posted by sillycoffeegirl View Post

I have liked going to chiros in the past, but when i informed my chiropractor that i was thinking about having surgery and why he pretty much interrupted me and didnt let me finish the important reasons why for example that its harder to breathe and i have been having pains around my heart and of course pain near my biggest curve. I think major organs is a big reason to have the surgery done because im only 25 just think when im 30 how much worse it could be if i dont do anything now. But my point was, lol, that he interrupted me telling me how invasive it is and how he could help me out a lot by going to see him 2 or 3 times a week. Like i have the money for the! seriously. Sometimes i think all they want is money. Yes they do make you more flexible and feel better for a short time, but im talking about long term. And he was acting like i havent looked into surgery and given it much thought. I have been researching it for about 6 months! I have done my homework. They make me so mad sometimes. geez Im so glad to be able to chat with all of you on this forum.
              Hey sillycoffeegirl (I like that screen name!)

The unscrupulous chiros seem to far outnumber the few honest, evidence-based ones it seems.

There is so much good information on Chirobase (a division of Quackwatch). If folks would look at that material we wouldn't have endless threads about Clear and other nonsense "treatments" that never pony up a lick of evidence that they work. They just kick back and post outdated material on surgery and hope people are too dumb to see that no matter what is going on with surgery, that doesn't make Clear any better by default.

There is a reason chiros are not allowed to use the "Dr." title in the UK. I wish that were true in the US also.

Rock on.

sharon
              Last edited by Pooka1; 11-01-2009, 05:03 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Before I had my surgery, I tried the chiropractor route, I went to someone who I went to school with. He did help me with some neck issues, but when it came to getting relief for my sciatica, didn't help much. Like Sillygirl, when I told him that I was considering fusion for my scoliosis, he told me I was crazy to do this, and that I should come to him three or four times a week. He even went so far as to tell me that he has a nephew that had this surgery done and wound up in a wheel chair. Something told me this was an out and out lie! Never went back to him or spoke to him again.
                Dolores A
                June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Originally posted by dolores a View Post
                  Before I had my surgery, I tried the chiropractor route, I went to someone who I went to school with. He did help me with some neck issues, but when it came to getting relief for my sciatica, didn't help much. Like Sillygirl, when I told him that I was considering fusion for my scoliosis, he told me I was crazy to do this, and that I should come to him three or four times a week. He even went so far as to tell me that he has a nephew that had this surgery done and wound up in a wheel chair. Something told me this was an out and out lie! Never went back to him or spoke to him again.
                  Dolores,

I don't blame you for cutting him out! What a horrible thing to say to a patient.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

It looks like the guys on this site saw that study too.

http://www.fixscoliosis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87

I don't even want to comment on this...I can hardly believe people would even suggest this!
                    Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
                    Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Originally posted by rachael View Post

I don't even want to comment on this...I can hardly believe people would even suggest this!
                      That poster is Stitzel who can be seen in the video posted on the "heavily-modified-hand-held-jigsaw-cure-for-scoliosis" thread.
                      Last edited by Pooka1; 11-02-2009, 06:51 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by rachael View Post

His comment "This study is from 2002...... I hope that is current enough for some of you "nay sayers".....Please don't shoot the messenger.....I am only trying to bring balance to the conversation and reporting the facts according to the peer reviewed research." is such a joke for several reasons.

First, there are no "nay sayers" because he bans anyone who dares challenge what he says. Secondly, if he wanted a "balance" one would think he's go for one of the hundreds of more current studies.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I just found the following page which has some astounding claims on it:

http://www.scoliosis-treatments.com/...1/Default.aspx

"Q19. Why will my insurance company pay for the Harrington rod surgery, but not alternative methods of scoliosis treatment such as chiropractic?

Answer: The answer is deceptively simple, and unfortunately based upon the laws of economics, rather than what is best for the patient. The insurance companies are undoubtedly aware of the research stating that 40% of operated patients are legally defined as permanently handicapped for the rest of their lives. In such an event, the insurance company’s financial responsibility for that patient is terminated, and federal Social Security & Disability programs are responsible for covering all medical expenses."

I'm speechless at this, really. Your insurance company wants you to have surgery so you become handicapped? Right

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
                            I just found the following page which has some astounding claims on it:

http://www.scoliosis-treatments.com/...1/Default.aspx

"Q19. Why will my insurance company pay for the Harrington rod surgery, but not alternative methods of scoliosis treatment such as chiropractic?

Answer: The answer is deceptively simple, and unfortunately based upon the laws of economics, rather than what is best for the patient. The insurance companies are undoubtedly aware of the research stating that 40% of operated patients are legally defined as permanently handicapped for the rest of their lives. In such an event, the insurance company’s financial responsibility for that patient is terminated, and federal Social Security & Disability programs are responsible for covering all medical expenses."

I'm speechless at this, really. Your insurance company wants you to have surgery so you become handicapped? Right
                            The "reasoning" on display on that site is typical of that seen on other chiro sites.

Anyone who reads Fixscoliosis's site for any length of time will form an opinion about the reasoning capacity of the resident chiros there. Kalla is actually quite good for the most part but the same cannot be said for his buddy. For example, the questions and concerns voiced on this forum about that abstract clearly never occurred to Stitzel when he read it. He doesn't have the requisite knowledge to be posting and commenting on these matters.

If they didn't have Goldfinch posting there, the blog would be solid, non-stop misinformation and ignorance on the wing.
                            Last edited by Pooka1; 11-03-2009, 05:58 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Q2. Why do you recommend avoiding the Harrington rod implantation surgery for scoliosis?

Answer: Surgery will not correct the posterior rib arch; additionally, it has been shown that the function of the heart and lungs is unchanged after the procedure.

Copyright 2009 scoliosis-treatments.com

What beasts !
                              45L/40T
                              Surgery 25/1/2010
                              Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

That's mad! YES surgery will correct the posterior rib arch. That's what happens when you derotate a spine; the ribs that are attached to the vertebrae derotate too. If further correction is needed, the surgeon can also perform a costoplasty procedure.

Years ago the fusion surgery didn't do much for the rib hump because the Harrington Rod didn't derotate the vertebrae. They're using outdated information as evidence again

And....surgery is typically done to protect the heart and lung function! It should never reach the stages where such function has drastically decreased.

Comment

Working...
                                X