Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 months post-op and all is good

Hi all,
    I had my 5 month post-op visit today. X-rays showed good fusion. The surgeon was happy with my progress. He also said that I could start to do a little more but nothing heavy. I had a list of several questions to ask him today, but with all the interruptions i had before leaving for this appt, i stupidly forgot it. I therefore asked him what i could remember and i rang through my other questions to his secretary whom will get back to me in the morning.
    I asked him what degree of correction he achieved (forgot to ask last time) as he told me pre-op, that he could probably achieve a 22 degree. Well he measured them for me and DRUM ROLL ............ 5 DEGREES.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Congratulations Vali...how wonderful...so happy for you...that deserves a drum roll AND a neon sign!

happy healing
    jess

Comment

Vali,
      How is your mobility? I will need a T12 to L5 and I am nervous about my mobility afterwards.

Rich

Comment

Wow Vali, that's a stunning correction! Lucky you!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Vali--
          That's wonderful! Congrats on such a great correction. You must be thrilled. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Vali,

That is awesome news. Don't get carried away, you're still healing. But you are doing very well, and I congratulate you also.

Every day gets brighter,
            Shari

Comment

Thankyou all

Thankyou to all of you for your best wishes. I am veryhappy with the results, the best result - being pain free and being able to walk again for more than 10 minutes. I am keeping level headed about it as the surgeon told me that 'its still early days yet'.

Rich,
              My mobility is quite good. I had visions of walking like the 'tin man' but its not like that at all. I was able to put on my socks on day 3 post-op by putting my foot on the opposite knee and you learn pretty fast to bend from the hips.
              Having played sports practically all my life, you learn to listen to your body.
              I think you will be fine, especially (if my memory serves me right) you have always worked out at the gym until recently. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask or if you like just PM me.
              Vali
              44 years young! now 45
              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
              Post -op - 5 degrees
              T11 - S1 Posterior
              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
              X