Advice for hair loss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for hair loss?

Ever since my surgery I have noticed that my hair is thinning. I mean SEVERAl hairs fall out every day--a small ball of it. I wasn't surprised at first because (told myself) hair can thin in the summer and hair can thin with stress. But now I am getting concerned. The weather has turned cooler and I am still loosing hair. It is obviously thinner than it was just 5 or 6 months ago.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any nutrients I should be adding to my diet to help with this? Any other suggestions?
    At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
    Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
    Excellent correction

Two things I can think of: thryroid condition, or a fungal infection. Sounds weird to have a fungal infection, but I had a friend who let her long hair dry naturally, rather than using a blow dryer. That's what the doc said caused the fungal infection. Don't know what was prescribed, but it was oral.
    Lesley
    Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
    Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
    T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
    Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
    Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
    Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
    Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
    Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
    Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

I was losing quite a bit of hair for about three months following surgery. It's a side effect of the anesthesia. It's back to its usual thickness now and I'm not experiencing any more hair loss.

Comment

My hair fell out at a pretty scary rate until around 5 months post-op, then it gradually stopped until I was back to normal by 6 or 7 months post-op.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I think it's fairly common like Chris said, from the anesthesia, someone recommended taking a supplement called Biotin (falls in with the B's I think) when I mentioned that I was loosing hair every time I combed out my hair after washing it. When I went to the health food store, the woman that worked there said that she also was loosing hair after a surgery that she had, she said that it came back on it's own after awhile. I still purchased the Biotin and take it twice a day, my hair is fine enough as it is.
          Dolores A
          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

At about 4 months mine was falling out like crazy. I could in sleeveless outfits actually feel hair hit my arms. My hairdresser said Did you know you've lost a lot of hair? Yes!! And it kept getting worse for at least another 2 months. But I had started with Biotin 5000 also. I started for a few weeks taking just one a day and a gal at GNC Health Store said you've got to really up it. So for a long time now I've been taking 3 of those. As I get toward my 7 month it has eased off greatly. Now I'm afraid to stop taking the stuff but will gradually. Most have told me it is from the stress of the surgery. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
              My hair fell out at a pretty scary rate until around 5 months post-op, then it gradually stopped until I was back to normal by 6 or 7 months post-op.
              That's about the same as I was. It was so bad, I had BALLS of hair in the shower every time I washed my hair. I thought I would be bald....but now it's perfectly back to normal.

BTW, many people shed hair in the fall, which I have always done. My surgery was last fall, so I think I had the double-whammy.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi 52...

If you're losing most of the hair from the crown, you're probably experiencing female pattern baldness. It seems that serious illness and surgery tend to set it off. If that's the case, the only thing that I've found to help is Rogaine.

Rgards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

just a suggestion...i do know that both thyroid conditions AND hormone imbalances can cause hair loss...i have not had the surgery...yet...so cant comment on that...but...a few months ago i began losing gobs of hair, daily, nitely & in the shower...my hormone doctor adjusted my estradial hormone.... & the hair loss stopped...

just a thought to add to other possible explanations...

if it is indeed from the surgery, i hope it stops soon...if not, perhaps a blood test is in order...?

best of luck to all who are healing...

jess

Comment

Thank you

My thanks go out to everyone who replied! You are all so helpful and so very appreciated.

I have had thyroid problems in the past and that is being carefully monitored post op so I know it's not that. I don't have any female-pattern baldness in my family that I know of so (hopefully) it is not that. I'm not taking any hormones, so...

I'm going to try the Biotin and see if it will help, although it sounds like for some of you, it just stopped falling out even without Biotin.

I'll let you all know in a month if I'm noticing any improvement.

Thanks again!
                    At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                    Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                    Excellent correction

Comment

Hi there! I definitely had hair loss right after surgery and my doc said its because of the stress that your body went through. I also used very gentle shampoo (baby shampoo). It stopped after a few weeks though. Hair and nails are made of protein so having a high protein amount in your diet is good. I also take vitamin E and a protein called biotin for my hair and nails. Hope that helps
                      Maliha

Comment

hair loss too

I am so glad someone else has noticed hair loss. I was starting to get really worried. I am just over 3 months post-op and just started to notice clumps of hair. I am taking good vitamins and switched shampoos but I am waiting for it to stop. Glad to hear it will get better

Comment

Working...
                        X