No announcement yet.

A bit more surgery possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hope the nerve block works for you! I would hate to see you go through another surgery
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Good luck Sally! It would be marvellous if you can avoid surgery.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Sally,

When will you be getting the nerve block? I hope that it works so you can avoid a stay in the hospital and heaven forbid another stay at the rehab house.
        Best wishes always,
        Avis
        1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
        2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
        2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
        Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Hi Avis,

I am scheduled for December 10th at 11 AM. The pain in my neck is much worse than the pain in my leg right now and tylenol doesn't begin to touch it. I'm not allowed any anti-inflamatories a week before the procedure. I have had neck pain in the past, but nothing like this.

Thanks to all for your concern. I will let you know how it goes.

Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Dear Sally
            will dr rand do this next surgery as well?

i wish you a smooth surgery & healing process, & a full recovery...

best regards
            jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
              Dear Sally
              will dr rand do this next surgery as well?

i wish you a smooth surgery & healing process, & a full recovery...

best regards
              jess
              Hi Jess,
              The nerve block and the facet joint injection will be done at the Baptist Hospital by a Radiologist, I believe. My guess is that Dr. Rand is trying to avoid more surgery if possible. Also, I think it is standard protocol to try injections first before more surgery. I will be seeing Dr. Rand after I get the injections, so I will know more then.
              Sally

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

your upcoming procedures ...

Hey, Sally ...

Are they doing a straight up nerve root block and FJ injection (of steroid/anesthetic), or have they planned any type of rhizotomy to zap the medial branch nerves?

Keep your hopes high on the success of all three options. While I didn't personally have much luck with them (except a couple of rhizotomies), many do. My case was just weirdly resistant to everything, and I'm certainly not a good indicator of their effectiveness.

Have you had either of these procedures before?

If not, and they're plan to do ablation, you're likely to be under light sedation; something akin to twilight (they typically need your feedback during this). With all my injections, I was conscious but under a little deeper.

I don't recall any of the procedures being painful ... just slightly uncomfortable. Nothing stands out in my recollection as an "ow-ow-ow!" moment.

You'll probably be mildly sore a few days after, and icing seemed to help me. If injections are going to work, you should begin noticing results by the time the soreness fades. While you may initially get relief from the anesthetic, the anti-inflammatory can take a few days to kick in. Be patient.

With rhizotomies (I had 4 total), I didn't really experience full effect until ±4 days after.

Anyway, I have my fingers crossed for you, and look forward to hearing about good results!

Hugs,
                Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Pam,
                  Glad to see you on here again. Your information is invaluable. To my knowledge, I am getting nerve blocks. What that means, I haven't a clue. I don't know if they are the same thing as a shot of cortisone or not. I have had cortisone shots in my lumbar before I had surgery with mixed success. I gave up on them when I got no relief what so ever from the last one. I think I had four or five of them with no anesthesia other than Novocaine. The first one I had was very painful, so I told the pain management nurse to find me a Doctor who knew what he or she was doing. Big difference in the amount of pain if done correctly. I have heard of nerve ablations but don't believe that is what they will be doing. It's funny, the pain in my neck has been so bad that I have hardly noticed the pain in my leg. I will think positively and hope both pains go away. I will ask more questions of the Doctors when I see them face to face.
                  Take care,
                  Sally

Comment

Dear Sally
                    i misunderstood...thought you meant you had surgery scheduled...glad you dont...hope this pain tx works for you...pain management doctors can be a great blessing! i had facet block in nyc without a wait for my feedback...the CT dr says he will do it with feedback & wait to see what effect i am getting...but no one talks sedation! i have a pretty high pain tolerance though, except when the shots feel as if they are hitting my kidneys...the dr is no where near my kidneys, but sometimes it feels like it!

i hope your tx is effective & that it means no further surgery is needed!

best of luck
                    jess
                    Last edited by jrnyc; 12-07-2009, 03:14 PM.

Comment

updatae

Hi everyone,

I typed up a whole post last night and wanted to preview my post and somehow I hit a wrong key and lost everything, then was too tired to try again.

Anyway, yesterday I had my nerve root block, L4-L5 and my facet blocks, C5-C6 and C6-C7, all with steroid/Novocaine. It was a little uncomfortable but not too too bad. Afterward, I saw Dr. Rand and he is hoping to avoid surgery if the nerve root block works. I asked him about the Neurologist not doing the EMG test, then calling me to come back in, for what, he didn't say. Dr. Rand said he probably wanted to do the EMG test. I said he should have done it when I was there because I was all prepared for it. The preparation was for me not to use any lotion on my legs for five days prior to the test which with my dry skin in the wintertime is a major annoyance, not to mention the $30 co-pay I paid to the Neurologist. Anyway, I don't think Dr. Rand was too happy that the Neurologist didn't do the test since he needed the results to help him sort out my problem. He said if the nerve root block doesn't work, then he would want me to have the EMG test.

Today my pain is a little better and I will know more in a few more days as the medicine does its job. My face is getting all flushed and hot now which it seems to do every time I get a cortisone shot. It looks and feels like a bad sunburn.

Take care and wish me luck. Sally

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                        Today my pain is a little better and I will know more in a few more days as the medicine does its job. My face is getting all flushed and hot now which it seems to do every time I get a cortisone shot. It looks and feels like a bad sunburn.
                        Hey, Sally ...

I'm glad yesterday wasn't TOO painful for you, aside from the EMG mixup.

That you're feeling some relief today sounds promising: The anesthetic part of the injection is gone by now ... crossing my fingers this means you're seeing improvement from the corticosteroid - and things just keep shrinking!

I really hope this does the trick for you.

Hugs,
                        Pam
                        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

I hope it works for you Sally! I'd be annoyed about the neurologist not doing the test too. Keep us posted.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Dear Sally
                            hope it is effective & makes further tx un needed....that would be the best holiday gift of all!

jess

Comment

It's all been said, Sally. Good luck!
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

How is the pain now with the nerve block? I will be up to see Dr. Rand on January 28th for my almost one year visit. I am waiting to hear from Nicola about setting me up for a cat scan. I did better with Priscilla.
                                Hope you won't need more surgery.
                                Avis
                                1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                                2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                                2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                                Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Working...
                                X