A bit more surgery possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit more surgery possible

Well, I surely didn't think I would be posting a new thread on the Surgical Revision section. Life is full of surprises. I saw Dr. Rand Thursday for my almost two year post-op visit. He said the fusion looks very good. Unfortunately, I still have nerve pain mainly down my right leg but also some in my left leg. He said that the nerves should have healed by this time. He has given me the option to try to get to the bottom of what is causing my pain, which means another CT/Myelogram and an EMG test. He said it is possible he might have missed something at L5/S1, in which case he could go in and repair it. He said it would be no where near as much surgery as my previous surgery. I have decided to go for it and am scheduled for the tests November 9th. The reason I have decided to check it out is because I don't want to be on Neurontin the rest of my life, and who knows what will be happening with Medicare down the road from now. I'm not getting any younger. I don't want to be told I am too old to have any more surgery if the pain gets worse. The pain I have doesn't keep me from doing most everything I want to do except in the evening. That is when the pain gets quite bad sometimes and many nights keeps me from falling asleep until the nerves settle down.

My question is this. Is there anyone out there who still has nerve pain at two years post-op and what have you done about it if anything?

Thank you in advance for any posts and advice.

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear that Sally. I hope the test points directly to the problem spot and that Dr. Rand can fix it without delay. It's a bummer, but it sounds like it can be fixed without too much drama and you can continue your life painfree.

One good thing, at least your fusion is intact. Sending very best wishes.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Sally
      so sorry to hear that you need more surgery...i hope they can figure it out quickly & get you "fixed" really fast...you deserve to live a pain free life & i hope that is what this new surgery will lead to...

best to you
      jess

Comment

Awh Sally, I'm sorry. Like someone else said, I hope Dr. R can pinpoint the problem and fix it. I remember that nerve pain before my surgery; during the day sometimes I hardly noticed it, but when I went to bed it seemed to go crazy. That's the wierdest pain I've ever had in my life; I don't blame you for wanting to fix it.

I wonder how they fix something like this if the fusion is solid? That's why they're the brilliant doctors and we're the patients.

Good luck with the upcoming tests and be sure to keep us posted.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Sally,
          I'm obviously not 2 yrs post-op, however, after enduring pain associated with the nerves at L5/S1 for three years, i would certainly have the revision surgery if it was needed.
          I'm so sorry to hear that you are in this predicament and i hope that it all goes well for you.
          Vali
          44 years young! now 45
          Surgery - June 1st, 2009
          Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
          St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
          Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
          Post -op - 5 degrees
          T11 - S1 Posterior
          L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I have not experienced any nerve pain following my surgery. Prior to it, I had periods of sciatica that affected my left leg but the surgery seems to have remedied that. Apparently I did have some badly impinged nerves, because my surgeon remarked after reviewing my MRIs at my pre-op that he was surprised I was still able to walk and he felt the need for laminectomies as part of my treatment. Can’t say I blame you for wanting to get to the bottom of this. I would do the same if I were in your shoes, Sally.

Comment

good wishes

Sally,
              I wish you well with this. Sounds like you are in good hands. We all just want to be done with this, like they promised my parents when I had my surgery. Life isn't like that....
              1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

I hope you get relief from your pain as soon as possible!
                Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Sally

I'm sorry that this has happened. I don't blame you for wanting to get this resolved.

There is a point where if the pain doesn't subside within a reasonable amount of time without meds, that there are still issues that need to be resolved. Masking pain with meds just offers temporary relief.

I came through ok as far as pain is concerned. No pains, just a little fatigue at the end of the day. I'm 21 months post.

It will be interesting to find out the EMG readings on your legs. Measurements are in millivolts. Ask the Doc what normal is and what your readings are. I guess its just proof of an impingement.

Best wishes
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Sally--
                    I almost never go to this section on revisions and was so surprised to see you here. I truly hope this will be the answer for you and pray the nerve issue will be resolved. I think you are doing the right thing. Take care. Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Sally-- I, too, am really sorry to read about your problem and pray this will resolve it. Keep us posted. Hugs and love, Susie
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thank you all for your reply's and concern. It helps to have so many people to encourage me. Dr. Rand called me tonight about my CT/Myelogram and said there was slight narrowing at L4-L5 and L5-S1 on the right side and will be scheduling a nerve block for me at L4-L5. Hopefully this will do the trick. It would be really nice if I didn't have to have more surgery

By the way Ed, the Neurologist decided not to do the EMG on me because he got a preliminary report of my CT/Myelogram and thought it not necessary since he knew what my problem was. Dr. Rand said if the nerve block doesn't work, he would recommend the EMG test.

Boy, I have to go to bed. The NE Patriots are getting slaughtered by the Saints tonight.

Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Sally,

my fingers are crossed for you! I hope this does the trick and you can avoid any more surgery!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

dear sally
                            fingers crossed that this works! just once, it would be nice for the easier way to do the trick!

best of luck
                            jess

Comment

Sally,

It's a bummer to hear you're having difficulty, but you know you're in good hands. You're far too spry (and sister, you are the *poster child* for that term) to stand for something that limits the activities you enjoy: I have no doubt you'll do what needs to be done - and face it head on with your typical grace and humor.

Although I know what you're referring to with Medicare, the thought of anyone considering you're "too old" is really a strange thought ...

Hang in there, and I'll be watching to see how things shake out for you!

Hugs,
                              Pam
                              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                              X