A bit more surgery possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Avis,

Unfortunately, I don't feel any improvement from the nerve block at L4-L5. I actually feel a little more pain than usual in my leg. I did some internet research last night and it appears that the selective nerve root block is primarily used as a diagnostic test. It if works, then they know exactly the location of the pain. If it doesn't work, I don't know what Dr. Rand will do next. I was told there is narrowing in two places, so maybe he will want to do a nerve root block at L5-S1 next. I am to call him next week to let him know how I feel. At least, my neck is starting to feel better so that is a plus, because that pain was horrible.

I haven't had any problem with Nicola yet, but I think you hit the nail on the head last year when you thought they needed another person in the office, because Nicola seemed a little harried when I was in there last week.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Sally,
      I had the nerve root blocks done at L3/4, L4/5 - L5/S1 previous to my scoli surgery. You are right, they are done for diagnostic purposes, but if they work, they can be helpful. Mine lasted only for eight days, but we found out that the majority of pain was from L5/S1. For me the most beneficial injections, were in the facet joints, however, i don't know how this would work after instrumentation surgery. Do you know where the narrowing is?
      Would you require rhyzolisis (sp?) surgery.
      Vali
      44 years young! now 45
      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
      Post -op - 5 degrees
      T11 - S1 Posterior
      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Hi Vali,
        I have narrowing at L4-L5 and L5-S1 on the right side. I'm not sure what type of surgery Dr. Rand would be thinking of other than he said it would be minor compared to what I already have had done. The facet injections I had last week were in the cervical vertebrae. The facets in my lumbar were removed to use as bone in the fusion since they were no longer needed. I will know more next week.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

One pain down, one to go, Sally. Not what we'd hoped for, but not the last option either. I've been thinking of you.

Avis, are you having physical issues - or just issues with office staff? I'm sorry I don't know which!

Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
          X