Clear institute ~ have you tried it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear institute ~ have you tried it?

Clear institute is alternative therapy for an intensive week or two and then follow up with 2 x week and then once a week.
    http://www.clear-institute.org/

Exercises to be done at home...addresses the muscle imbalances, cervical neck curve, and uses a chair like device.

I don't know too much..anyone try it and have success?

Or tried it and it didn't work.

Vote now.....
    Successful - very happy

unsuccessful - didn't work...lost money

don't know - never tried it but I definitely have an opinion on it

don't know don't care....scoliosis sucks!
    age 15
    Daughter diagnosed at age 13
    T20 l23 10-09
    T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
    T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
    T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
    Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
    Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

cannot access that tx in new england area that i know of..

jess

Comment

am familiar with....

am familiar with CLEAR...

You mentioned how after your daughter gets off the inversion table she shows some correction in her curve but it doesn't HOLD....

Therein lies the million dollar ....question?????.... how to get various degrees of correction to hold....without metal/or brace.

CLEAR is starting to focus more on the neuromuscular rehabilitation aspect of
      treatment

1.get some correction
      2.then get the brain to kick in and hold the correction (over time) through neuromuscular rehabilitation of the involuntary postural muscles.

It all makes alot of sense to me....it will be interesting to see, in the near future, some of their case studies...have met several people who have had excellent results...will have to wait and see.....am glad to see they are trying
      some new ideas....

Comment

Clear Institute--again

If you search the forum for older posts, you will find out about other people's experiences with Clear. No one has ever come forward with a permanent correction that we know of.

Lots of money was spent though. Hope springs eternal.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I've read some testimonials saying it was a complete waste of money.

I looked at Clear Institute sites looking for when that technique first started. It seems like it has been around long enough for them to publish evidence of efficacy.

If Hope404 is correct that they are changing their focus then that is an admission that the old techniques wasn't working and that they have no data on any new direction.

Stitzel, a chiro who was being addressed by Simon in my signature quote can be seen on a video of a news show him and Kalla (Fixscoliosis) did in some Asian country, likely Singapore where Kalla lives.

On that tape Stitzel claims scoliosis can be cured by Clear techniques, one of which is a modified power tool that he uses to "vibrate" the backs of people. He makes some patently ridiculous remarks about how certain frequencies of vibration do one thing and other frequencies do another. Yet where is the evidence any frequencies do anything? He is clearly just making this crap up.

My impression from reading about these alternative therapies is that none have ever been shown to produce a permanent curve reduction and that the relative order of wackiness of their claims is approximately as follows:

Rain drop therapy >> TAMARS > Clear > Schroth

with rain drop therapy taking the "wacky" award. They may retire it for all I know but you never know what will come along next.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

not changing their direction

No, Pooka1, I don't think it would be accurate to say they are changing their direction....just becoming more precise as to how they deal with particular curves.

Like any "new" medical procedure there is always room for improvement and CLEAR is no different........ as they treat more and more curves they have learned better and more efficient ways to get correction and keep it.

I personally, know many ,who have had excellent pain relief and curve reduction from CLEAR...it certainly is not a therapy to throw under the bus!!!!

Be skeptical....I certainly was...but I think it is better to be patient and see if they can come up with a way to get these young, smaller curves out of those ridiculous 24/7 braces!!! Scroth focuses 3 dimensionally but does not address the neuromuscular aspect...CLEAR is onto something ...lets just be patient and see....

Comment

Originally posted by hope404 View Post
              No, Pooka1, I don't think it would be accurate to say they are changing their direction....just becoming more precise as to how they deal with particular curves.
              What about their old way was inadequate enough to mak them try a new way?

What were their success rates before so that they can compare them to after the change?

Like any "new" medical procedure there is always room for improvement and CLEAR is no different........ as they treat more and more curves they have learned better and more efficient ways to get correction and keep it.
              New? How many years has Clear been around? I searched around but couldn't find any date.

I personally, know many ,who have had excellent pain relief and curve reduction from CLEAR...it certainly is not a therapy to throw under the bus!!!!
              I definitely believe there are people who have pain reduction and temporary curve regression with PT. The evidence for that is in as far as I know.

What is on the table is permanent curve reduction after stopping the PT or even permanent halting of the curve progression after stopping the PT. Where is a lick of evidence for that? Why did that ped. neurosurgeon on that torso rotation video say PT has never been shown to do these things? I would bet my house he knows about Clear.

Do you know people who have permanently reduced their curve or even permanently stopped their curve progression? If Clear was doing that they would have published it and the world would know it and believe them.

Be skeptical....I certainly was...but I think it is better to be patient and see if they can come up with a way to get these young, smaller curves out of those ridiculous 24/7 braces!!! Scroth focuses 3 dimensionally but does not address the neuromuscular aspect...CLEAR is onto something ...lets just be patient and see....
              So they don't NOW claim to be able to do these things and we have to wait?

It's very expensive and I seriously doubt they are telling people it is experimental and that they don't know if it will work.
              Last edited by Pooka1; 10-31-2009, 09:31 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Well said, Sharon.

There is another thread entitled "Rods Break 100% of the Time" that tells of statments that are on the CLEAR website which are completely false and have nothing to back them up.

That alone would make me steer clear (no pun intended) of them.
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
                  Well said, Sharon.

There is another thread entitled "Rods Break 100% of the Time" that tells of statements that are on the CLEAR website which are completely false and have nothing to back them up.

That alone would make me steer clear (no pun intended) of them.
                  Clear are a bunch of chiros running a business and therefore not qualified to treat scoliosis. I don't know why this isn't considered practicing medicine without a license based on the claims. I think the only way they escape the charge is that it is just PT (that doesn't have a lick of evidence of stopping or correcting curves permanently).

Here is a statement on Chirobase, a watchdog site for chiros, written by an honest/informed chiro (yes they do exist!)

http://www.chirobase.org/17QA/lifetime.html

"Should Chiropractors Treat Scoliosis in Children?"

My answer is only board certified pediatric orthopedic surgeons should be treating children with scoliosis.

If you read Fixscoliosis's site,

http://www.fixscoliosis.com/forum/

you will see more nonsense, misinformation, ignorance, blind leading the blind, Emily Litella moments, etc. than you can shake a stick at. That site has two chiros posting most of the material so nobody should be surprised that it is stem to stern ignorance or lies.

Also check this out, again written by that honest/informed chiro...

http://www.chirobase.org/17QA/scoliosis.html

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Science and Chiropractic

(N.B. Clear = bunch of Chiros)

Science and Chiropractic

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

ok so far many opinions on CLEAR Institute...but no real experiences?

Curious, If you were cured of Scoliosis...found something that worked...would you even be on this NSF...to post an answer...I know I wouldn't.

I have noticed with my dd curve that some days it looks worse than others.

The chiro did help her with getting a better alignment with her hips...and changed her stance.

I do like hearing from all of you...Sharon enjoyed reading the article....never thought of chiro as alternative healing

I wouldn't ditch the chiro...I had great results with headaches and back pain...but honestly...it was the first person I saw when I thought she had scoliosis....and he did say he could help but not cure.
                      there is no cure for scoliosis..that I know of.

My sil shared a cure with me...talk about quirky...its called IMT Intra manual therapy...body energy work...where they lay their hands on you and release the organs of negative energy...only $200 a session...She insists its a cure...and my mil had some work done with it and had good results. And of course you need to come frequently because you need several treatments to cure it. LOL I tried getting references of successful therapy treating scoliosis....lol one number and they never called back....sorry mom and sis. ROFLOL
                      Last edited by Bigbluefrog; 03-04-2010, 11:06 AM.
                      age 15
                      T20 l23 10-09
                      T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010

Type 1 diabetes- pumping

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker View Post
                        If you search the forum for older posts, you will find out about other people's experiences with Clear. No one has ever come forward with a permanent correction that we know of.

Lots of money was spent though. Hope springs eternal.
                        I tried searching the older posts but ended up reading a bunch of hoopla from a few regulars...taking over the site and not even discussing the original topic...I don't have all day to sort through
                        age 15
                        T20 l23 10-09
                        T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010

Type 1 diabetes- pumping

Comment

I went to Clear...

Hi. I went to Clear for 2 weeks in the summer of 2007. In the long run, I was definitely not pleased. You can send me a private message and we can speak more on the phone if you like. All the best, Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbluefrog View Post
                            I wouldn't ditch the chiro...I had great results with headaches and back pain...but honestly...it was the first person I saw when I thought she had scoliosis....and he did say he could help but not cure.
                            there is no cure for scoliosis..that I know of.
                            Yes I was referred to a chiro for my herniated disc. They can help with certain things. But when you have honest chiros saying kids should ONLY be treated by pediatric orthopedic surgeons and NOT chiros, that's something to consider in my opinion. Chiros have zero training in real issues and treatment for scoliosis and they aren't trained in research. That makes the Clear approach really the blind leading the blind. How long have they been around and where are the journal articles showing efficacy? Meanwhile they are making all kinds of money on any treatment that pops into their head at any particular time.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

We did the 2 week Clear treatment this January 2010. We have seen 4 orthopedic surgeons and 3 chiropractors the past year. My experience to date is very mixed with the 7 "professionals".

I know some on here do not support chiropractors but there may be a role for them in the scoliosis treatment. I try to keep an open mind. I know some also feel orthopedic surgeons have all the answers. But unfortunately they also do not have all the answers. I have learned as a parent I have to be the advocate to determine what is best for my daughter.

As I have read through many old threads I wanted to add some comments based on our own experience the past year.

Two of the orthopedic surgeons at Children's Hospital (2 difference cities) both recommended the SpineCor brace. There seems to be some misleading comments that only chiropractors are in the business of recommending SpineCor. We are very happy with the SpineCor brace except it is not covered by insurance. The orthopedic surgeons told us that it would probably not be covered. It would be interesting to see how many orthopedic surgeons are not recommending it because a patient has to be willing to pay $3,500-$4,000 for it out of their pocket, like we did. The orthopedic surgeons also recommended the Boston brace that would be covered by insurance. Both commented they had seen some promising results with it. They said it may be due to the better compliance of patients to wear it 20+ hours per day.

One other comment. We have had x-rays taken at 3 different hospitals (never by the orthopedic surgeon, but sent to x-rays by orthopedic surgeons) and at 2 different chiropractor offices. I have found the chiropractors are much better at taking the x-rays with regard to accuracy and protecting my daughter with shields.

Also, it was my orthopedic surgeon in Jun 09 who said my daughter's curve had not changed the past 4 months (Feb 09 23 deg, Jun 09 23 deg) so we should just watch it, and not brace it. Then I went to a chiropractor Oct 09 to discuss Clear, to learn more. She immediately noticed that the x-ray taken at Children's Hospital was incorrect. Because of all the negative comments I had read about Clear and chiropractors I was thinking that she is trying to trick me and show it worse so that I would sign up for years of chiropractic treatment. She said it looked like she was turned. It is obvious now when you look at the x-ray. She measured the curve at 36 degrees! 23 degrees to 36 degrees in 4 months?

We then went back to the orthopedic surgeon to get fitted for the SpineCor, as we panicked! The orthopedic surgeon measured the chiropractor x-ray and said it was accurate and he said it looked like the June one was incorrect, the one he based his recommendation for us to do nothing. Recently I visited two more orthopedic surgeons who specialize in VBS and they both told me to ignore the Jun 09 x-rays and they both use the chiroprator's x-rays as the source of all bracing/surgical decisions. By the way, one VBS surgeon highly recommended my daughter wear the Boston brace but said it is ok for her to also wear the SpineCor part-time (for school). She is in the Boston brace now and the SpineCor brace. However, the other VBS orthopedic surgeon said wearing a brace is a waste of time.

Also, when it comes to proven studies and solutions. There are a lot of negative comments about chiropractors and about the surgeons who invented the SpineCor brace. But, in the medical field, even with VBS, orthopedic surgeons perform surgery only to find out 2-3 years later it did not work as planned, then they change their approach. We are talking with one surgeon who wants to put into my daughter a new invented rod that has never been put in a patient. Should we trust him? I do have a lot of trust in the orthopedic surgeons and we are strongly considering VBS. But these surgeons are experimenting on people too, with the hope that it will work. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it does not work. All these professionals are trying to find a solution. While some are in the business of making money, many of them are in the business of helping our children. Let's not forget, being a surgeon and doing surgeries can be a business too.

Regarding Clear, the first 2 weeks of January we did the 2 week intensive treatment. It was 2 weeks, 8 hours per day. The chiropractor and physical therapists conducting the treatment were excellent working with my daughter (8 yrs old). Very professional. Exceeded my expectations regarding their approach and methods. However, the success of it is still being analyzed. I have x-rays before and after, but having trouble getting accurate measurements. Most recently had another chiropractor review them and an orthopedic surgeon. The chiropractor said it did not work (not even supporting his fellow chiropractor and chiropractic profession) while the orthopedic surgeon said it worked. Figure that one out. Orthopedic surgeon supporting the chiroprator's work, at least with regard to curve improvement. He measured a 6 degree improvement with about 4 of it being held 6 weeks later. I was pleased to hear that from an orthopedic surgeon. But....I have recently learned how to measure the Cobb angle and unfortunately it looks like the orthopedic surgeon made a simple mistake during the measurement and it looks like we may have not held the curve.

Please feel free to ask me about any details regarding the Clear Method. By the way, I have asked another medical doctor to provide me with her independent measurements and conclusion on whether it helped. I need to know to determine whether it is something we want to repeat sometime in the future and whether we want to continue the Clear exercises.

Thanks
                              Last edited by michael1960; 03-19-2010, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X