No announcement yet.

Willow - Day 16 - off all meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So sorry to hear about the hug damage, Sharon. Just want you to know I'm thinking of Willow and you. Hope your news is good today. Please let us know.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Maria, Laurie, and Mary Ellen,

Thanks for your posts.

The surgeon just got back to me. I had emailed what happened, the pain levels, where exactly she hurts, and what she has trouble with post-injury but not pre-injury.

He said he is confident she did not rupture a disc or fracture a vertebrae, two things I threw out there in my bunny state of not knowing what the heck I'm talking about.

He wants to see her early Thursday morning for a radiograph to check that the rods/screws are okay.

That was good to hear as her pain is clearly all below the end of the fusion so I think there is not going to be any problem with a screw pulling out or something but again, what the heck do I know???

She has been working diligently on schoolwork today and seems to do the stairs okay albeit more slowly than usual. She is not dependent on Tylenol and only takes is sporadically. I think it is getting better slowly but surely. She is still going to try to take the midterms this week.

Someone shoot me now.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        Maria, Laurie, and Mary Ellen,

Thanks for your posts.

The surgeon just got back to me. I had emailed what happened, the pain levels, where exactly she hurts, and what she has trouble with post-injury but not pre-injury.

He said he is confident she did not rupture a disc or fracture a vertebrae, two things I threw out there in my bunny state of not knowing what the heck I'm talking about.

He wants to see her early Thursday morning for a radiograph to check that the rods/screws are okay.

That was good to hear as her pain is clearly all below the end of the fusion so I think there is not going to be any problem with a screw pulling out or something but again, what the heck do I know???

She has been working diligently on schoolwork today and seems to do the stairs okay albeit more slowly than usual. She is not dependent on Tylenol and only takes is sporadically. I think it is getting better slowly but surely. She is still going to try to take the midterms this week.

Someone shoot me now.
        Hey Sharon,

I'm certainly not going to shoot you. How many times did I get all excited and think the worst? I would be the pot calling the kettle black. I guess for some of us, it's human nature. Especially when you're worried about your kid and Mother Guilt factors in.

I hope it all turns out to be nothing. Hopefully, considering she's just using tylenol for the pain, it will subside quickly.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Great news, Sharon. I bet whatever it is will resolve soon.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
            Hey Sharon,

I'm certainly not going to shoot you. How many times did I get all excited and think the worst? I would be the pot calling the kettle black. I guess for some of us, it's human nature. Especially when you're worried about your kid and Mother Guilt factors in.

I hope it all turns out to be nothing. Hopefully, considering she's just using tylenol for the pain, it will subside quickly.
            Good point, Debbe!

She actually came downstairs and went outside with her sister to photograph some sort of turkey vulture. I think they are trying to feed it some ham.

I have hope and withdraw my previous request.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by WNCmom View Post
              Great news, Sharon. I bet whatever it is will resolve soon.

Mary Ellen
              Thanks, Mary Ellen,

Now that I know the surgeon doesn't think it is a serious disc or verterbra injury, I'm less worried.

It's a long road and Willow is only at the very beginning. In fact that injury could happen at any time, not just in this immediate post-surgical period. She just has to develop some core strength or lose the hugging friends or something. I don't think that last disc is going to take endless torquing the rest of her life.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                I have hope and withdraw my previous request.
                Consider it withdrawn

I'm optimistic for you that this will be resolved soon - it (thankfully) doesn't sound like the surgeon thinks any damage was done. I'm sure you'll feel a whole lot better after she sees him on Thursday!
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Hey thanks for letting me withdraw that!

I probably should withdraw some large percentage of what I wrote but I can't think about that now.

Strange thing... after the turkey vulture sighting earlier, a small hawk flew into our large sliding glass door. My daughters brought it in and made it comfortable and may have tried to feed it ham(!) until it regained its wits and was able to fly off.

I'm beginning to suspect I'm in a remake of "The Birds."

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon - I'm sorry to hear Willow has had this happen. I've followed along your journey with Willow and it has been so much of a help to me. I know I have thanked you in the past for sharing, and I'm thanking you again. I hope this too will past as fast as Willow has progressed in the past.

Dee
                    Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
                    Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
                    Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Working...
                    X