traveling after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• traveling after surgery

I have my surgery scheduled for December 9th at a location which is about 4 hours away from my hometown. I am curious about traveling after the surgery. I anticipate to stay in the hospital for about 5 days. I need disc replacement also, so will have A/P. I am wondering about traveling about a week after surgery, is this a possibility?

Hey Rich- Dont know about the traveling, as I am still in the consultation stage. Im just curious how long it took for you toget the surgery scheduled from the time you started seeing doctors about it. I think I read you were pretty new to this forum. I am too. Where do you live?
    Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
    Still unsure of post-op numbers
    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
    Scoli pics

Comment

scoliosis was news to me! I kept complaining about my back for five years, but no doctor ever had xrays done, until about 4 months ago. I've had four opinions already and all recommended surgery, because of the 52 degree lumbar curve and the fact I lost about 3 inches of height in the last two years. I saw a surgeon at UCLA medical center two weeks ago and he recommended the surgery and gave me a December 9th date for surgery. After doing research I hear that it is best to do the surgery while young, in order to get back on your feet sooner. I am 38 years old with pretty bad pain, so I just asked him for a surgery date as soon as he could perform it. Pretty quick, so it is scary! Within four months, I found out that I had scoliosis and am going to have surgery done. Never had any spine problems while I was yound, so this is a new thing for me.

Comment

Man, that is awesome. I (my parents and I) have known about my scoliosis since I was a young kid, but I guess never saw the right doctor or took it very seriously. My mom told me the doctor told her when I was around 5 to have me carry a bucket of sand in one hand to stop the curvature. Rediculous. Im 29 now, and my curves are 68 thorasic and 60 lumbar. The pain is getting crazy. Ive read on here where people have to wait a year or more for surgery. I have an appt. in Cleveland on Nov. 24, so Im really hoping I cant get this done ASAP.
        Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
        Still unsure of post-op numbers
        37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
        Scoli pics

Comment

Hi Rich,

I had my surgeries about 3 1/2 hours away from my hospital. I made sure i had a pillow for my feet to rest on. I rode in a car as apposed to a bouncy truck, the smoother the better.

They tell your driver to wake you every half hour or so, to wiggle your feet, for blood clots. I had a pillow for my head as well, put the seat at a comfortable recline, I had a brace on, but the most important thing I did was have my drive back stash. I had a oxcycodone, a hydrocodone, a zanax and sleeping pill.

Had a terrific ride home, only had to out the car once to pee, and that's about all I remember!!!

Best Wishes,
          Shari

Comment

Hey Rich,
            Are we talking travelling home or travelling - you know Rome, Paris, London, New York?
            If its travelling home, i have read posts on here from people who have had long trips home and its been o.k. for them. As for the other travelling, i know my surgeon said, not before six months to be safe.
            In Adelaide (Aus) where i live, if you live more than 20 minutes from the hospital and you have a long fusion, they will only let you go home in an Ambulance!
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

traveling after surgery

I don't know how extensive your surgery will be, but I was in the hospital for just under a week and then went to rehab for a little over a week. I was gone from home for a total of two weeks.
              The ride in an ambulance from the hospital to rehab was no problem. Of course I was still barely conscious from pain meds. The ride home from rehab - and it wasn't far - was pretty uncomfortable. I felt every bump!
              Take it slow and stay on your pain meds, ride in a reclining position and you should be okay.

Susan
              fused L-1 to S-1 and rods from T-10 to S-1, December 7, 2006
              Dr. Alexis Shelokov (deceased)
              Plano, Texas

Comment

Working...
              X