No announcement yet.

Does bracing work? style and success to date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that is encouraging news...I hope your daughter has increased success with her therapy.

i was discouraged that schroth therapy is not covered by insurance.

It was $200 an hour, I do like the program and would be willing to pay again.

We have officially started her diabetes pump yesterday, so for the next month we are focusing totally on that.

We still do the home yoga and exercises...it appears that her upper curve is less noticeable and her lower curve lumbar is more pronounced now.

I am going to switch gears we were focused on the upper curve correction, now I will focus on the lower one.
    age 15
    Daughter diagnosed at age 13
    T20 l23 10-09
    T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
    T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
    T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
    Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
    Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Hi Bigbluefrog-

I also hope your daughter does well.

My insurance covers Schroth for 40 visits/year (which I understand is a lot more than most). It falls under my coverage for physical therapy. So, I have been lucky that each day (4 hours) only ends up costing my $20 co-pay. If you have PT coverage, you should be covered. I know that Scoliosis Rehab offers a discount if your insurance does not cover the visits (also in Wisconsin-Stevens Point).

Best to you-

Brooke

Comment

Do you attend the Stevens point one?

or the Milwaukee one?
        age 15
        T20 l23 10-09
        T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010

Type 1 diabetes- pumping

Comment

why do you think some are having success with bracing?

Someone in a previous post stated success even without PT.
          Noticed a significant reduction of the curve.

Orthopedics say the Brace May or May not work......wow no wonder I have trust issues.

It would be great to pull in older posters who have completed scoliosis therapy to find out the outcome. I noticed most don't post anymore...aren't you curious to hear what happened to them...did they avoid surgery, did they have success with their scoliosis treatment.
          age 15
          T20 l23 10-09
          T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010

Type 1 diabetes- pumping

Comment

It's been a while since I posted but dd had her 2nd out of brace appointment 2 weeks ago and her measurements had gone down even more. Her top curve was 24 and her bottom curve was 16. The x-rays were taken 24 hours out of brace and she wears her brace an average of 20 hrs a day so we are quite pleased at this point.
            DD/12 yo.
            diagnosed 1/9/09 at age 11-- 30*, 19 * S-curve- recommend wait/watch
            3/16/09- 32*, 23*
            5/14/09- 42*, 32* fitted for Boston Brace
            7/2/09- in brace x-ray- 16*,20*
            11/6/09- out of brace 24 hrs x-ray- 26* top curve, 18* bottom curve
            03/11/10- out of brace 24 hrs x-ray- 24* top curve, 16* bottom curve

Comment

Michele, congratulations on your daughter's continued success with her brace--it's great news!
              mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
              Providence night brace, increased to 35*
              Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
              14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
              11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
              Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
              latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
              currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Michelle

That is great news. My daughter is in the Boston brace too (and a SpineCor). Her correction is about 30 degrees to 13 degrees in the Boston brace. Your in-brace correction from 42 to 16 is outstanding. May I ask where the apex of the curve is for your daughter?

My daughter's thoracic apex is around T7 or T8. I had heard the Boston brace has some challenges at this level and above. With my daughter being only 8 yrs. old and very flexible I was hoping for greater in-brace correction. It is still good, but I was hoping we would get more. I had read that the amount of out of brace curve reduction is dependent on how much in-brace curve reduction is achieved. It makes sense.

We are beginning to tighten it a bit more after the first fitting, so I would assume we may be getting some more reduction. I checked with the doctor and he said that it was ok to tighten it as long as my daughter was ok with it.

Congratulations again. It is very encouraging to us.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by michele27 View Post
                  It's been a while since I posted but dd had her 2nd out of brace appointment 2 weeks ago and her measurements had gone down even more. Her top curve was 24 and her bottom curve was 16. The x-rays were taken 24 hours out of brace and she wears her brace an average of 20 hrs a day so we are quite pleased at this point.
                  wonderful!!! its good to see she is doing well.

Ambrea in brace measurements T 10 degrees and L 20 degrees.

the lumbar is not really moving much....the brace is tight. Her first night trying to sleep in it. I gave her an ice pack to keep her cool. IF she hasn't fallen asleep by midnight I will have her take it off....small steps to get there.
                  age 15
                  T20 l23 10-09
                  T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010

Type 1 diabetes- pumping

Comment

Working...