Thread: Does bracing work? style and success to date

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Does bracing work? style and success to date

Please share your success with the brace you chose.

If the brace was not successful for your child please share it too.

I think as a parent we need to know the good, the bad and the ugly.
    I want to believe a brace will work and I am playing with borrowed time, would you be so kind to share your experiences.

Thank you in advance.

I would love to see this poll,
    remember: YSMV Your Scoliosis May Vary
    age 15
    Daughter diagnosed at age 13
    T20 l23 10-09
    T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
    T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
    T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
    Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
    Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

My one kid wore a Charleston for about a year. The curve was stable for the 6 months before the brace, then moved 8* during the first 6 months in brace of nightly wear... she was very responsible about it.

She stopped wearing it when it stopped fitting. I suspect the curve again moved in brace and it was too uncomfortable.

My other kid never wore a brace. One was never prescribed even though she was 29* when diagnosed. I am VERY grateful she never wore a brace with what I know now and am a little perturbed my other kid wore a brace AND needed surgery. But she felt it was worth a try so that's good enough for me.

One caveat... there is some small indication kids with certain connective tissue disorders have a very low success rate with bracing. I think my kids are in this group. I think the evidence case for bracing in straight AIS would be cleared up and might look a little better if they accurately identified the connective tissue disorder group and didn't lump them in.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Oh and I think if they ever nail the compliance issue, the case for bracing would look a little better. It is likely the poor results to date are at least partially explained by lack of compliance but someone has to show that.

When you toss the uncontrolled bracing studies you are only left with a literal handful and most if not all of those have known problems (i.e., inadvertent stacking of T curves with higher propensity to progress in observation groups, etc.).

It is a curious thing that bracing is the standard of care despite no high quality evidence. Because it isn't a benign treatment, because compliance is often not perfect for good reason, a controlled study that included compliance monitoring was not only required but is obviously ethical.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Rigo-Cheneau

My 8 year old daughter has been wearing a Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time since December (she was 7 then). Her curve in December was 35*. In May, at an out of brace x-ray it was 28*. In September at an out of brace x-ray, it was 14*. All out of brace x-rays were taken with 30+ hours out of brace. All measurements have been taken by the same orthopedic surgeon.

We consider her bracing to be a huge success thus far. She will remain in the brace full-time until early April, then if all still looks good (or better), we will reduce the brace time (hopefully to night-time only) and see how things go.

She has been comfortable in the brace, wears it 23/7, does not complain about it, wears it for most of her sports (save swimming and tennis). Few physical problems, all readily resolved.

Good luck with your research.
    mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
    Providence night brace, increased to 35*
    Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
    14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
    Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
    currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

My daughter wore a Cheneau brace for 5 years, since she was 13 until last month. Her lumbar curve was 38ª, now is 25º out of brace,
    She is 18 years old now, and Risser 5.

I must say that she didn´t wore the brace as much as she should, because it was been a big deal for her. That’s why we tried Spinecor for some months, but it was doing nothing for her.

Would the curve´ve been reduced by herself without brace? I don’t think so.
    Will the curve increase in the future? I don’t Know. Who knows??
    But I will try bracing again if i had to make the decision now.
    2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
    Treatment: Cheneau brace
    2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Quote Originally Posted by Pooka1;[B
    84535Oh and I think if they ever nail the compliance issue, the case for bracing would look a little better. [/B] It is likely the poor results to date are at least partially explained by lack of compliance but someone has to show that.

When you toss the uncontrolled bracing studies you are only left with a literal handful and most if not all of those have known problems (i.e., inadvertent stacking of T curves with higher propensity to progress in observation groups, etc.).

It is a curious thing that bracing is the standard of care despite no high quality evidence. Because it isn't a benign treatment, because compliance is often not perfect for good reason, a controlled study that included compliance monitoring was not only required but is obviously ethical.

Ahhhh, but you see, you don't need to have the Braist trial with kids not being braced to determine compliance rates. You just need a sensor in all the braces in all the bracing studies and you would quickly figure out if compliance is the problem...and no ethical question at all.

I work with a 50-year-old attorney who wore a Milwaukee brace 23 hours a day from grades 7 to 12. During that time her curves were reduced to roughly 25 degrees. She has maintained that throughout adulthood and three pregnancies; and she shows no outward signs of scoliosis. She said it looks like her younger sister on the other hand is headed for surgery. She added she was the one kid in the family who did everything she was told while her sister was non-compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS WBS View Post
    I work with a 50-year-old attorney who wore a Milwaukee brace 23 hours a day from grades 7 to 12. During that time her curves were reduced to roughly 25 degrees. She has maintained that throughout adulthood and three pregnancies; and she shows no outward signs of scoliosis. She said it looks like her younger sister on the other hand is headed for surgery. She added she was the one kid in the family who did everything she was told while her sister was non-compliant.
    What did the curves start out at?

Are you saying she came out of the brace at 25* and that has never increased even to what it was prior to bracing? How often has she had radiographs since? How recently?

I wasn't aware there was evidence bracing would permanently reduce curves. If she can document this, maybe someone should write this up as a case study.

I'll also not we have a few folks here who wore Milwaukees and were compliant who still needed surgery. It's a moving target and we should never imply noncompliance ever results in surgery. Just can't know that.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Quote Originally Posted by Ballet Mom View Post
    Ahhhh, but you see, you don't need to have the Braist trial with kids not being braced to determine compliance rates. You just need a sensor in all the braces in all the bracing studies and you would quickly figure out if compliance is the problem...and no ethical question at all.
    The lack of controls in the bulk of studies to date is arguably a far larger problem than compliance though both are an issue. You can't in prionciple interpret an uncontrolled study whereas you can correct data for compliance.

See the SRS statement about lack of controls resulting in the bracing literature essentially being worthless. You still seem to be struggling with why controls are needed... if you don't get that, you won't understand the SRS statement.

BRAIST is the first RCT that uses controls and is therefore the only ethical study in my opinion where you don't have so many kids wearing a brace in an uninterpretable study. Sure some kids will wear a brace in BRAIST and still require surgery or never would have progressed just with observation. But at least they did that within a controlled study that hopefully will yield some robust answers.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Quote Originally Posted by Pooka1 View Post
    You still seem to be struggling with why controls are needed... if you don't get that, you won't understand the SRS statement.
    I'm not struggling with it at all, I can see why scientists want to do things that are unethical....look at all the information the scientists in the communist countries and Nazi Germany were able to obtain that scientists in the west wouldn't be able to obtain. I have a problem with knowing that bracing can work on many kids and not giving them the brace to give them a chance to avoid an increased curve and potential surgery.

I guess you disagree with the head of the orthopedics department at a major hospital who prescribed my daughter's Charleston Bending Brace and told me that he would have his daughter wear one if she had scoliosis. Apparently you are much wiser and more knowledgeable than him....and the other surgeons who declined to be involved with the Braist study.

My daughter's pedo doc spotted her curve at age 11. It was stable at 14 degree for almost a year and then jumped to 32 over the summer risser 0. She wore a boston brace for almost 2.5 years . She was very compliant for about a year and then not so much at the end . The brace has worked for her so far. At her last appt Jan 09 her curves had settled back to about 11 and 21 . She is now 16 .The docs told us her curve would most likely settle back to its prebrace point after 1-2 years. We go back the end of this year and will see.

Hi BigBlueFrog,

Just FYI, my daughter does not do Schroth (she's the Cheneau wearer who went from 35 degrees to 14 degrees in 9 months). She's too young, we've never looked into it. Re: diabetic pump, don't rule out the Cheneau. My daughter had lots of holes in her brace (large ones at times). It may be that a hole may be placed that will not affect the integrity of the brace. If you would like more info on who we see for the Cheneau, please PM me.

Chris
    mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Smile

Hi Big Blue Frog,

My dd has been wearing a TSLO for 5 months now. She is supposed to wear her brace 23 hrs/day, but because she dances competively, it is more like 20 hrs/day. She just had her first out of brace x-ray (24 hrs out of brace) and her top curve was 26*, down from 43* in June, but 10* higher than her in brace x-ray from July (which was to be expected). That is promising and the dr was pleased. She is fully compliant and has had a really positive attitude about bracing. Her attitude is that wearing the brace may keep her from having to have surgery if it works and delays surgery if it doesn't. I take her results at face value. I am hopeful that this means bracing is working for her, but cannot know for sure until she is completely out of the brace. For now, it is doing what we want and she has grown 2 inches since June. The positives are outweighing any negatives. If that were to change, so would our decision on how to treat her scoliosis.

Good luck with your daughter.

Michele
    DD/12 yo.
    diagnosed 1/9/09 at age 11-- 30*, 19 * S-curve- recommend wait/watch
    3/16/09- 32*, 23*
    5/14/09- 42*, 32* fitted for Boston Brace
    7/2/09- in brace x-ray- 16*,20*
    11/6/09- out of brace 24 hrs x-ray- 26* top curve, 18* bottom curve
    03/11/10- out of brace 24 hrs x-ray- 24* top curve, 16* bottom curve

Wow, Michelle, those are great results. I haven't heard of such success with a Boston brace before--it's good to know that there are cases like your daughter's out there.
    mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Cheneau/Schroth

My dd was dx with scoliosis at 7 yrs old with 40T/23L. That was 2002. It was suggested that we either brace her for somewhere around 10 years, or try growing rods. Both prognoses for treatment were not good according to the orthopedists, so we set out to try all and everything we could find otherwise.

I do not wish to list the numerous treatments we sought from 7-12 years old, because I do not wish to degrade a treatment, simply because it did not halt my daughter’s progression.

By Jan 2008, almost 13 yrs old, my dd had progressed to 68T/46L or 70T/42L (depending on who read it). We were considering surgery at this time, but were not convinced we had tried everything. At this time she was pre-menarch, Risser 0, and had a lot of growing left to do.

In Feb 2008, we immediately began Scrhoth and a Rigo-Cheneau brace. She has been wearing the brace 23/7 (with the exception of Schroth, PE, and the occasional break), and doing Schroth 5x/week for about 45 minutes each (sometimes less). She has been doing this for the last 1 year and 8 months.

Her current out of brace x-ray reads 59.5T/50L. While, she is nowhere in the clear, she has improved while growing over 4 inches.

When we saw the surgeons in Jan 2008, they said there was nothing we could do, and that her surgery could not even wait until summer because of the threat of further progression. She was pre-menarch, Risser 0, and still had a lot of growth left. Yet, these indicators were the same reasons we were still able to brace her and have some confidence that it would either stabilize or improve her curve. While her growth was her enemy, it was also her only hope.

While, scoliosis will always be a part of my dd’s life, I believe our positive experience is a testament to Cheneau/Schroth. My daughter was pre-menarche, Risser 0, and grew over 4 inches, while taking her main curve from 68-70 to 59.5 (60 if you wish). She also improved her lung function (which is over 100%), her alignment by over 4.5 cm, and was able to carry out her growth. I only wonder what improvements she would have had if we had started this sooner (oh well!).

Since she is currently still growing at 14 yrs, Risser 2, and barely post-menarche, she will remain braced for the next year or so, and then begin the weaning process-at which point, Schroth will be more important for her quality of life. If she chooses surgery in the future, it will be her choice. But, for now, her scoliosis is manageable, and not the emergency it was made to be 2 years ago.

Anyone interested in more details, can PM me.