Willow - Day 12 - meds data point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by laurieg6 View Post
    I wanted to ask Snoopy/Mary Lou why you think that your daughter couldn't have been in the marching band after a spinal fusion. That worries me because Alexander plays clarinet (and piano) and really wants to be in the marching band at his first opportunity next spring. He's totally looking forward to it so I hope it won't be a problem.
    Laurie,

Please don't worry about Alexander being in the marching band. He should be fine.

The reason I said Tracy wouldn't be able to be in marching band had she had a spinal fusion is because she carries a drum. Drumline is brutal! They practice as much as 5 hours per week more than the rest of the band. The drum weighs 20-40 pounds. I'm not sure of the exact weight, but either way it gets heavy very quickly. The harness to hold the drum sits on the shoulders and I'm sure between the harness and the weight of the drum, it would have put way too much stress on her back. This is just the tip of the iceberg, as I could go on with more details, but simply put, Tracy would not have been able to be in drumline had she had a spinal fusion. And Tracy would not have accepted being in any other part of the band. It's drumline or nothing for her!

Please talk to Alexander's band director long before the practices start. Make him/her aware of his situation as he might need to rest his arms or take an occasional break in the beginning. If he finds that marching is too much for him, I'm sure they can find a spot for him in the FE (front ensemble; some call it the pit) if the marching is too much for him.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Thanks Mary Lou,

That extra information really helps a lot. I will definitely talk to the band director to let him know about Alexander's issues...
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
      X