Looking back....tomorrow is one year post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking back....tomorrow is one year post op

this surgery has changed my life--that's a given. I am thrilled with my results, and hope & pray that I continue to do as well as I am right now. Ti Ed was right--my improvement between 9 and 12 months was dramatic.

What I didn't realize one year ago was how this surgery was going to change the dynamics in my family. We are all in such a better spot than we were last year at this time. The kids, all 3 of them, were worried sick about me. My senior citizen parents jumped in and stayed with us, 350 miles away from their home, for 2 months. You know mother guilt? My mother was still feeling guilty that I had this problem and needed the surgery. She's thrilled to see me thrive now. And my poor husband had to go into overdrive to support the family for 8 months without my salary.

I am grateful to my surgeon and his skilled hands. We are so lucky to live in a time when this is possible. I've said this before, but I look to my maternal grandmother's life and how hard the last 15-20 years were for her, all crunched up in a wheel chair. That would have been me without this surgery.

Good luck to all with upcoming surgeries. Keep a positive attitude and take good care of yourself. That is the best thing you can do.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Thank you, Debbie for that post! I am scheduled for my surgery on December 9th and I'm still nervous about the unknown. I have pain now, but I think to myself if the pain I know is worth the pain from the unknown! Will I regret the surgery. This is a big decision and the more I look at the procedure, the more I understand that it is a big operation and a dangerous one at that.

rich

Comment

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
      Thank you, Debbie for that post! I am scheduled for my surgery on December 9th and I'm still nervous about the unknown. I have pain now, but I think to myself if the pain I know is worth the pain from the unknown! Will I regret the surgery. This is a big decision and the more I look at the procedure, the more I understand that it is a big operation and a dangerous one at that.

rich
      Rich,

the fear of the unknown is horrible. I was the biggest chicken on the face of the earth. I had this fear that I would 'wake up dead'. We had a big party a month before the surgery because I wanted to see all my friends/family 'one last time.' Thankfully, all my fears were for nothing. My pre-op pain is gone and the surgical pain has been gone for months now. My biggest problem over the past year was muscle spasms (knock on wood) but I think I'm past that now. (knock on my head.) Eat properly and exercise prior to surgery. The more fit you are going in (aerobically and muscular) the easier your recovery may be. You know, the waiting part is the hardest part of the whole process. We'll be here for you when you have questions.

Good luck,

Comment

Wow Debbe, a whole year??! I'm thrilled for you that everything turned out so well. It'll keep getting better and better, too.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Debbe, congratulations! What a huge accomplishment!

These surgeons are amazing. It must be so cool to be them fixing folks for a living.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Debbe,

It is so nice to hear another success story. I remember how scared you were, but I think that is the one thing we all have in common. Our curves are different, but the fear is the same because the surgery is such a big surgery. I wrote in a journal notes to my husband, son and grandsons, just in case I didn't survive. These Doctors are a gift from God whom I thank every day for giving us our lives back.

Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I remember the pre-op Debbe well. I was glad I was not alone with my fears, I felt more "normal". You kind of blazed the trail for me, I followed your progress with great interest.

I can't believe it's been a year. Congrats Debbe. I'm so glad this has brought your family closer. I feel the same about mine. It's also put me on a high that's lasted months. I am about to undertake a course, after which I hope to find a job and start my life all over again, thanks to this second chance.

Are you having a celebratory drink tonight?
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Chris, yes I can't believe it's a year already!

Sharon, thanks and I'm sure Willow will be back in class before you know it.

Sally, yes I guess we all have those fears in common. You were an inspiration to me--back on your skates!

Jen, yes I think I WILL have that drink you recommend tonight! After my exercise class!

Comment

Debbe,

Thank you for your post. It is so helpful for those of us still in the early stages of post-op to hear from others who are on the other side of recovery. Please don't be a stranger to this forum!

--Steph
                  fused 9/23/09
                  T10-L3
                  31 years old
                  --Steph

Anterior surgery 9/23/09
                  Fused T10 - L3

Comment

Congratulations to you. I can't remember if I talked to you before your surgery or just after it. It's a year for you and I am coming up on 9 months in a few weeks. Time goes fast after scoliosis surgery it seems. Nice to hear that there was significant improvement between 9-12 months. Maybe I will eventually be free of the feeling of having a 16 lb. bowling ball being forced into my thoracic spine.
                    avis
                    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Hi Debbei, As Avis mentioned, I also can't believe how fast time flies by after this surgery! You are one of the first people on this site that I followed your progress intently. Congratulations, you've come a long way baby, and it sounds like you will even see more improvement as time goes by!
                      Dolores A
                      June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                      June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                      Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                      NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Let me add my congratulations too! So glad it was so successful for you. I've been following your posts for some time also. I like that idea of feeling recovery go forward a lot between 9 and 12 months. I look forward to it! Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Debbei,

Congrats to you on your one year anniversary! I have been following your posts for the pasts few months since I joined this forum since they have been very inspiring to me. You had a double "S" curve which is similar to mine and I also live in Central Jersey so I would also be going into NYC to get the surgery. I enjoy reading your posts since they are so positive and encouraging. I really want to go through with the surgery, and I am finally going to see Dr. Boachie in the beginning of November. Your posts make me feel like I CAN do the surgery.

Anyway, best of luck to you and I am so glad you are feeling so well! Keep us posted with your progess.

Take care,
                          JenM
                          Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                          Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                          Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                          Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                          31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Hi Debbei.

What a wonderful thread to start!!! I congratulate you, along with everyone else here!!!

You've summed it up perfectly and what you have said will help many people, which is very special!!!

You sent many memories flooding back to me, and now I have tears in my eyes.
                            Thanks a lot for making me cry.

Everyone should read what you've said,
                            Shari

Comment

Debbe

You made it.......Phew....

I remember your first posts. This was 1027 posts ago.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7272

Remember this one?
                              Embarassing question
                              after fusion, after you're all healed up and feeling better, how on earth does sex work?

Ohhhh boy!

No, this isn't a post roast! I might get beat up too bad! LOL

Do you need to go up to the city for x-rays?
                              Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X