No announcement yet.

Less invasive new surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE i am very glad for you that you have no pain...i dont believe everyone is that lucky....[/QUOTE]

And that may be because I did not exactly go into this surgery with debilitating pain. I could not afford to wait until that happened as I have several more working years ahead of me. When I saw Dr. Bridwell at age 57, he advised me to have surgery within the next year or two; and while he did not do my surgery, I did heed his advice. I would be concerned that by postponing surgery until the 11th hour, results might be less than favorable.

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS
      [B
      And that may be because I did not exactly go into this surgery with debilitating pain. I could not afford to wait until that happened as I have several more working years ahead of me. When I saw Dr. Bridwell at age 57, he advised me to have surgery within the next year or two; and while he did not do my surgery, I did heed his advice. I would be concerned that by postponing surgery until the 11th hour, results might be less than favorable.[/B]
      I agree with you Chris. If only I had known about my scoliosis and been referred to the right Doctor in the first place, I would certainly have had my surgery at least 2 years sooner, maybe more if I were advised to. As it is, I have residual pain and it may never go away. The Doctors at the Baptist are deciding what to do about me at the present time. At least I have my life back and I am very grateful for that. I can't imagine how my spine could have been improved with less invasive surgery. Maybe a curve without degenerative changes, but not mine. If your Doctor is an SRS Doctor and goes to the annual meetings, I am sure if there is a less invasive surgery out there for you, He (your Doctor) would know about it.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

This less invasive surgery by dr anand out in CA is supposed to be a new procedure...i did not ever qualify before for less invasive, per dr lonner, dr boachie, dr neuwirth. i want to see what dr anand has to offer...to do less i believe would be a dis-service to myself...

i could not have had surgery sooner due to my situation in nyc....i also did not even consider surgery a possible reality til about a year ago...

i honestly believe that if procedures improve over the years, i would be a fool not to investigate them...i hope methods continue to get better in the future...i believe every new discovery deserves a chance to be checked out!
        that is what makes sense to me...

jess

Comment

Hi Jess,

I hope for your sake it works out for you. I wish you well.

Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

thank you, sally, for the good wishes...

i dont want to ever overlook the new & innovative.....& i may never have any kind of surgery...i just dont know yet...i do know that when i go see the nyc surgeons that i know, i will ask them what they know/think about dr anand's work....i expect to see one or more of them this winter...

i want to meet the doctor in CA personally...maybe his work could help me, maybe not...but i want to investigate it...i am not delaying anything else in the meantime, for i have nothing else planned at this point, except my thoracic botox shots next week with my nyc pain doctor...

best regards..i hope your revision surgery relieves that pain that you wrote about...

jess

Comment

Good luck Jess. I hope that Dr. Anand can offer you something safe and effective. In time there will be more innovative techniques again, but please remember, the longer you wait, the more difficult a job you'll present your surgeon.

I hope you'll report back to us with more information about this new MI technique. I have high hopes for scoli patients of the future having a much less invasive procedure available to them.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks, Jen..i will keep you posted...expect to call next week to schedule appt ....will try for mid january...good time to go to CA for any reason!!

continued good health to you...& to all those healing & healed!!

jess

Comment

The pain didn't get bad until about four years ago. All the while I was working out five days a week and went on a lot of business trips. Still do, but now it hurts more. I guess I had to weigh the lengthy recovery time, and what seems to be a scary, life-altering fusion vs. the amount of pain I was in. And I kept hoping for a different procedure. Maybe this is it.

Jess, I'm curious to learn about your visit to Dr. Anand. The procedure is new enough that there aren't many patients in our situation for referrals, but I have asked for one, and his office says they'll put me in touch with someone.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                  X