Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the thing that pushed you to say yes to more surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the thing that pushed you to say yes to more surgery?

I have been here on and off for a while. I have Schuermann's kyphosis. In 1989 I had Cottrell rods put in and was fused T3-L2. My curve has now moved up my spine to my cervical area. I have lost the 2 inches I grew in my first surgery, and my neck juts out quite a bit I have pain daily, varying in intensity. I was miserable last fall, and went to see Dr. Bridwell in St. Louis. I also think then that a lot of my pain was caused by extremely low vitamin D levels. Anyway, Dr. Bridwell said he thought he could help my situation. It would involve being in halo traction for 9 days prior to surgery, the surgery itself, and 7 days in the hospital after surgery. I am so uncertain about having the surgery. It would be far away from where I live (near Indianapolis). I would be away form my kids that whole time, and likely there by myself, as my husband would need to stay here for the kids. The doctor I saw locally said he would not operate until my spinal cord was compressed. Not sure I want to wait that long.

What I would like to know is, what pushed you over the edge to have more surgery? When I was at Dr. Bridwell's office, I saw women who wore braces to hold up their heads. I am so afraid that I am headed that way. I just don't know what to do. Any insight into your decision making processes would be greatly appreciated.

still deciding

I also have low vitamin D levels and would need to have an opperation 5 hours away from where I live, if I decide to do it. I have been researching new technology and debating between waiting and just doing it. I also am not sure what makes you finally decide to take the jump. I am not there yet.

Comment

My decision to have revision surgery

Dear Badback4me,

I was 20 when I had my first surgery was for scoliosis in 1977 which implanted harrington rods and fused T1-L1. I was 52 when I decided to have additional surgery in February 2009 to fuse lowest 3 vertebrae and sacrum (L2-S1) and have lowest 3 discs replaced. I had experienced left leg pain and numbness which grew in intensity and duration over the course of 8 years. It got to the point where I could not stand for more than about 10-15 minutes without having to sit. Fortunately, sitting aleviated virtually all pain but I realized that I had much more life ahead of me and I did not want to alter my lifestyle (married, 2 teenage children, outdoor enthusiast, love fishing, photography, travel) to suit a series of symptons which had been getting worse, not better, over time. That's what prompted me to have revision surgery.

I went to Dr. Frank Rand at New England Baptist Hospital in Boston. It took 6 months to see him. I had been evaluated by his associates in July 2008 first to see if I was a candidate for his work. I then made an appointment to see Dr. Rand in November 2008. He determined I had degenerative discs in lower back which caused spinal compression which pinched the blood vessel to my left leg nerve. He did some tests and determined that he could surgically repair me with a high probability for success. I scheduled my surgery for February 2009 and within one day (when I could stand for more than 10 minutes) I realized he had done his job. After 3 months I was 75% healed. Today (about 7 months after surgery) I am living an essentially normal life, albeit without the flexibility in my lower back. I squat to lift but I lifted a 40-pound air conditioner yesterday with no ill effects. After my first two weeks back home (in hospital for 6 nights) I wished I had the surgery several years earlier...it was that successful.

I know everyone has different home issues dealing with post-surgical support and care but I hope this information helps with your life-altering decision. I do know that my life has been greatly improved.

Comment

For me it was PAIN. As long as you can make excuses not to do it, then you aren't ready.

p

Comment

Mine was pain and the fact that it was getting to where I just couldn't walk much at all. We would go places that required any walking I had to use a wheelchair..I am 34.

Comment

Pain Pushed me to having my 10th surgery

Pain, broken hardware and recurving spine forced me to have my 10th surgery. But hindsight is truely what they say. I should have learned to live with the pain and considered myself lucky that I had made it through 9 previous surgeries without complications. The 10th surgery landed me in numerous hospitals for a total of 13 months on a vent. My Phrenic nerve was damaged causing my diaphram to be paralyzied leaving me unable to breath, I went into permanent renal failure (now working on getting on a transplant list) and once I was transferred from Barnes Hospital after 6 weeks stay in the ICU it was discovered that 3 discs in my neck had been ruptured. This then led me into another surgery. I spent the entire next 13 months being transferred from surgical hospitals to long term care facilities. Finally last September 2008 I was able to be weaned off of a vent totally and released to go home. Oh I did forget I also suffered a minor stroke while in the hospital at St. Louis. I have trouble walking because of that but I am able to get around. I now have dialysis 3 days a week but the great thing is my back doesnt hurt constantly like it did before. But I still am asking myself was it worth it!

Comment

Oh horrors Doreen. Yours is the story we all hope to avoid. You have been to hell and back. I really do hope that the day comes when you can say, "it was worth it". I do hope you can put this nightmare behind you. Wishing you the best for your future.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Pain and heading for a wheelchair is what drove me. Plus, I am the type that prefers surgery rather than trying other things because eventually, surgery is the only thing that holds out the possibility for help and relief from pain.
                avis
                1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Working...
                X