New Minimally Invasive Surgery Procedure for Severe Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
    Now this isn't Medtronic's, and under research study, but I wonder if this could be used under a scoli fusion???????????

If it doesn't work, you could remove it, and be back to where you were.
    You can be the guinea pig, and let us know. ;-)

The people who tried artificial discs under long fusions are pretty unhappy from what I've heard.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

O.K., now i am completely confused..i clicked on that website animation, & to my ignorant eye, it looks as if the screws & rods pull the curve straight..how is that possible? & if that is not what i am seeing, it sure looks like it to me...

i have been told repeatedly by nyc surgeons, top surgeons, that i am not a candidate for minimally invasive anything when it comes to my curves...that i need fusion T11-S1 & L4-sacrum, with rods & many screws, etc etc..i cant imagine who IS a candidate, unless there is someone with a short, small curve...believe me, i asked & asked..inquired as to why there are no bendable rods, etc...surgeons told me those would not give sufficient support & would not be stable...

i wonder if this entry by the doctor is giving false hope to very vulnerable people..it sounds great, but too good to be true & not useful to very many scoli patients!

jess

Comment

Hi Jess...

There are lots of reasons why you might not be a candidate for a certain technique. You may also have seen surgeons who don't typically perform minimally invasive techniques. If you're interested in a minimally invasive approach, I suggest that you see one of the surgeons who specialize in this type of procedure.

As you saw in the video, in both minimally invasive and open surgery, the curves are straightened by means of rotating the rods.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
          I found his website:

http://www.infospine.net/treatment-s...s-surgery.html

I had my consultation with my surgeon, but know the difference between the surgeries.
          Hi...

I just looked at the website, and see that the technique Dr. Anand is using is a posterior approach. As far as I know, the other minimally invasive surgeons are doing anterior approaches.

While I think this looks interesting, I would personally want to know how many of these surgeries have been done, and what the long term outcomes are. I would also be a little concerned about the potential for a surgeon to have a stake in not giving his/her patients narcotics.

--Linda

Comment

thanks linda

the really excellent nyc surgeons who told me i am not a candidate said i need both posterior/anterior approaches...& incisions that looked long (to me)...I would be thrilled to qualify for minimally anything with this spine of mine!

thanks for all
            jess

Comment

Linda

This is new to me also.

Things are moving along and getting better every day. There are quite a few people working on spinal devices right now. Its a huge market.

Ohh, I've been the guinea pig, maybe not as bad as some, but people will volunteer. Its their decision. That's why people need to be informed about the decision making process, being online, communicating on these scoli forums.

Since the people that had the artificial discs installed under long fusions are unhappy, this results in future development. I don't think that brainstorming the matter will hurt.

Lets just wait for a response from Dr Anands office.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

When you say that people who have artificial disc under long fusions are not happy with their outcome, what does that mean? My doctor told me that I have degenerated disc where my curve is at and have to have anterior and posterior surgery. He said that i will need the first surgery to fix the disc and then a couple days later another surgery for the rods. Is this how they normally do it? This sounds painful and not to mention a long hospital stay. I HATE HOSPITALS!

Comment

Rich

Surgeons do different "staged" operations. I had an anterior done first, that's where they go in from the front and go all the way down to the spine moving all your organs to the side and performing a discectomy, they remove your discs, and install cages. Its the "anterior release" part of the surgery. They carefully sew things back together, and then start the 2nd stage a few days later. The posterior operation was done on me 2 days later, that's where they drill, ream, and tap, install all the screws, then bend and mount the the rods. Mine was an anterior/posterior (A/P) surgery and it looks like this is what they are suggesting for you.

http://www.spine-health.com/treatmen...fusion-surgery

I was fused to the pelvis. That happens when the curve is bad down low. If the curve isn't that bad down low, some surgeons will fuse to the upper lumbar areas, L2,or L3 and leave the lowest joints intact. This is done for mobility. Some patients with these fusion levels after years will have pain in those lower joints as those joints are absorbing all the work. Some have elected to have artificial discs installed in these areas to save that mobility.

Once a disc is removed, you can fuse it, or install an artificial disc.The Stabilimax NZ Dynamic spine stabilization system looked interesting as it preserves the joint and you keep your disc. We still haven't heard back from Dr Anand as to weather this can be used under fusions.

Hope this helped answer your question.
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

In the middle of the night, I woke up wondering how one gets good fusion with this (Dr. Anand's) method. What's the pseudarthrosis rate?
                    Last edited by LindaRacine; 10-10-2009, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
                      When you say that people who have artificial disc under long fusions are not happy with their outcome, what does that mean? My doctor told me that I have degenerated disc where my curve is at and have to have anterior and posterior surgery. He said that i will need the first surgery to fix the disc and then a couple days later another surgery for the rods. Is this how they normally do it? This sounds painful and not to mention a long hospital stay. I HATE HOSPITALS!
                      Hi Rich...

Artificial discs are devices that are made to replace discs that are injured. In the U.S., I think that artificial discs are approved for 1 or 2 levels. They are not approved for use above or below previous fusions. The few cases I've heard of, where they were used below a long fusion, have been disasters, because there is a huge amount of stress on the artificial disc, being the first free joint below the fusion mass.

Here's a photo of how artificial discs are used:

http://www.eorthopod.com/public/pati...placement.html

I suspect that what the surgeon is talking about in your case, is removing a disc or discs that have gone bad, and replacing them with cages, bone discs, or other fusion material, so that both the front and back of the spine are fused at the apex of your curve.

Regards,
                      Linda

Comment

I just love seeing these advances in spinal surgeries. I can see fusionless minimally invasive surgery within the next decade.

If this is a legitimate technique I think this Doctor should be thanked for bringing this to out attention.
                        45L/40T
                        Surgery 25/1/2010
                        Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Originally posted by scoliosisdoctor View Post
                          Hello, I want to introduce myself, I'm Dr. Neel Anand. I specialize in minimally invasive spine surgery and I created a new, minimally invasive procedure that straightens out the spine and maintains the correction.
                          This is very exciting, as I can operate on older adults who were either never screened or treated. The risks are reduced with less blood loss, we spare the muscles, so the recovery time is very quick, no ICU. Two weeks post op you will be standing up straight, with very little discomfort from the surgery itself, using only Tylenol. We welcome your questions. Please give us 48 hour turnaround on this forum. You may call my office or visit my website for more information or an appointment.
                          Hi Dr. Anand - welcome. I see you are not only a surgeon - but an SRS surgeon! I'm not familiar with this new surgery but will be looking over the web site.

I'd like to know (from you) if you've been using this technique with older patients (say, 60ish), with both thoracic and thoracolumbar curves? And if so, what the short term outcome has been with them.

I'm currently bracing with Spinecor and I'm confident in the treatment I'm receiving. Still, one never knows what any individual curve may do - so I like to keep a plan B in my back pocket ;-)

Wonderful to have an SRS surgeon on board - I'm sure you can contribute a lot of valuable information to the conversations we have here.

Comment

Case Study #5 a woman in her 70's

http://www.infospine.net/patient-tes...ngeles-ca.html

Have to say, that looks promising.

Comment

Working...
                            X