No announcement yet.

Willow's Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well said, Laurie - there certainly IS always something to worry about with kids.

That said, two major surgeries over the past couple of years, as in Sharon's case, is a bit more than usual to have to stress over - so let's hope she gets a well-deserved break from having to worry about anything that big for a while
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Laurie and Maria,

Unfortunately, plenty of parents go through far more than 2 surgeries like this in two years. But that said, it's been a mental burden of course.

After seeing these surgeries and recoveries, though, I am now presently more concerned about any emergent Marfans and potential heart/aorta surgery than fusion surgery. The complication rate on fusions is so low... I don't know what it is on repairing an enlarging aortic root and replacing heart valves. I'm guessing it is more risky but I don't know that. Aortic root surgery certainly seems like a bigger deal at this point than posterior spinal fusion but what do I know??

What keeps me going is the hope they don't have Marfans and(or) won't develop the aorta/heart problems if they do. I am also encouraged by the thought that these particular things anyway are fixable now and it will only get better and better into the future. Things could be worse. A lot worse.

And the scoli diagnoses may have saved their life. I never forget that point.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

And Mary Lou, I am NOT expanding my family! Besides these two girls, I'm raising a horse, 5 guinea pigs, and a husband and am the grandmother to three snakes and a huge bullfrog.

Sharon, I'm glad to see that you are keeping your sense of humor through all this!

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          ... the grandmother to three snakes and a huge bullfrog.
          Very glad to hear things are going so well for Willow.

Just a bit of advice/reminder since I'm sure you have your hands full:
          Dont forget to feed the snakes. If you do forget, be sure to keep them away from that frog!

Comment

Originally posted by concerned dad View Post
            Dont forget to feed the snakes. If you do forget, be sure to keep them away from that frog!

And keep them away from the guinea pigs as well. I think the horse and husband are safe though.

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Great news, Sharon!
              Bethany

Comment

Oh Sharon, I am so very pleased that things are going along nicely for Willow, I honestly can hear the relief in your posts. Its up and away from here honey,

Lorraine. (Macky)
                Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Sharon,

So glad to hear that everything is going well. What a relief it must be to have that over with!!! All the best with recovery!
                  CAmomof2

July 07 - T 26*
                  Aug 08 - curve now 22*
                  Sept 08 - SpineCor Brace (in brace 17*) Ste. Justine
                  March 09 - in brace 14*
                  Aug 09 - in brace 14* / MRI normal
                  Feb 10 - in brace 18* - had an oob xray - now 35*
                  June 10 Considered VBS T 32*, L 27* , Stopped SpineCor brace
                  Sept 10 T 38*, L 26*
                  April 11 T 45*, L 31*
                  July 11 T 51*, L 37*
                  MIS SURGERY - NOV 28, 2011 / Age 12 / Fused T4 - T12

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                    What keeps me going is the hope they don't have Marfans and(or) won't develop the aorta/heart problems if they do. I am also encouraged by the thought that these particular things anyway are fixable now and it will only get better and better into the future. Things could be worse. A lot worse.
                    All very true. As you pointed out, there are several "if"s that would have to happen for you to get to the point of the girls needing heart surgery. And even if they did (which very likely they won't) these techniques are always being improved every day.

One last thing (and I should REALLY take my own advice - LOL!), it would be great if we, as parents, worried less about things we have no control over (and which might never happen)....but if anyone figures out how to turn off that "worry switch" please let me know
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com
                    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Bethany, Lorraine(!), and CAmomof2,

Thanks or the well wishes. I appreciate them very much.

Maria, I agree it would be great to turn off the worry. With such a great unknown as fusion surgery, I don't fault anyone for worrying. But seeing is believing and that's why I was able to worry less this time around.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

How is she today Sharon?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                          How is she today Sharon?
                          Hey Debbei, please see the new thread.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                          X