Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steph 12 days post-op

Hi everyone,

I am now 12 days post-op and finally feeling like I can sit for a few minutes and type at the computer.

I was diagnosed with AIS at 13, wore a brace until 17, but at 31 years old my thoracolumbar curve had increased to the 50's and became painful. For surgery, I had an anterior approach, fused T9-L2. It was six hours long and according to my surgeon it went well. He was happy with the correction, though I have not yet seen xrays I do feel straighter.

I was in the hospital for 6 1/2 days, 3 of those days I had a chest tube which totally sucked! It was very, very uncomfortable and I was very glad when it was removed. I was supposed to go home a day earlier, but had to stay until I had a bowel movement...constipation has been an issue for me since the surgery, and still is. At times the pain from gas and constipation is even much worse than my incision or muscle pain.

I have a question about medications. Here is what I am on right now:

Oxycontin, slow release 20mg 2x day
    Percocet, 5mg/325mg 2 tablets every 4 hours
    Flexeril muscle relaxant, 3x daily
    Miralax, 2x daily

Does that seem like a lot of pain medication to you? I have never been on narcotics before so I don't have any experience with them. However, even with both the oxycontin & percocets I am in a lot of pain.

I will add more later but now I need to go back to my comfy spot and rest.

Cheers!
    --Steph

Fused T9-L2 via anterior approach Sept. 23rd, 2009
    --Steph

Anterior surgery 9/23/09
    Fused T10 - L3

Hi Steph,

I was heavily medicated for the first 3 months post-opp. I too was also in pain, and I turned into a clock watcher. When it was time for the next pill, I was ready.

I also had a very hard time sleeping. I hope you don't have that problem. We tend to heal better while sleeping.

I do have to tell you that you are already better than I was at 12 days!!!

I couldn't even think about sitting at the computer that soon afterwards. I'm very proud of you, you're a tough one.

Keep your chin up,
    Shari

Comment

Congratulations! It sounds like you are doing well! Our surgeries sound slightly similar as to approach and length...mine is a little lower than yours. I also had a chest tube...and yes, it was the worst! Make sure you do your breathing exercise thing...it will help a lot. I was only given percocet and the stool softener/laxative (which I still take once or twice a day). I did not have a bowel movement for a long time and I was even discharged before I had one. But once I did, I was okay...still need to drink lots of water and I eat a lot of apples.

Good luck you're doing great!
      Kathy, 43
      Diagnosed as a teen
      Boston brace 2 years
      63 degree lumbar curve
      Surgery August 26, 2009
      Anterior approach fused T12-L4
      now 28 degrees

Comment

Congratulations on your surgery and may you continue to recover.

The Miralax worked for my dd. I was told by the NP that the pain meds (especially the oxycontin) will "gum up" the works. She's on 1 20mg slow release 2ce a day, but we are expecting to move her to 10 mg tabs very soon to wean her off the oxycontin. She was given the percoset for breakthrough pain but has never really needed it. She also has something for nausea, which the pain meds can also cause.

She is 16, so that's probably why she's not on as many meds. Also her surgery was 9/17.

But anyway, the Miralax is good and once she started going regularly, I moved her to Fruit-eze, a natural supplement made of prunes, prune juice, raisins and dates. It can be ordered online.

You are right--she was in misery til she had the BM. Only they released us prior to her having one (she was released on a Tues. but didn't have the BM til Friday--8 days after surgery).

Hope you can get some relief soon!

Comment

Working...
        X