View Poll Results: Did your body jacket cast help?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

0 0%
  • no

0 0%

Thread: body jacket

Question body jacket

hi it's me again along with my millions of other posts
    i was just wondering about body jacket casts. I am good mates with the ortho tech in rocky and he suggested that i get a body cast and i want to know how they do it and waht it is like to wear one thanks c-ya

When you say a "body jacket cast" are you talking about a plaster brace (one that never comes off) or a back brace ?. Are you looking at one for "comfort" or one for "correction of curve". Just something to consider, from what I read in your profile your 16 (born in 1998), being a female and being that "old" you are already skeletally mature or very very close to being. This means that a brace for correction would not be as effective as if you were younger, and that you would find it very difficult to gain any correction from wearing a brace and if you did it would take a lot, lot longer than if you were younger.

They either make a brace with you standing at a barre (like a ballet barre) or on a metal "bed". If it is done at a barre, they have you holding onto the barre and usually have stuff coming off your head to make you straight. Then they wrap the plaster around you, wait until it gets hard then "saw" it off. If it is done on a metal bed, it is like a big contraption thing with lots of metal bars and some straps, they strap you onto the bed, then do the plaster thing working around the bed. Sometimes they also take an x-ray before they saw it off. Then they use the thermoplastic stuff in the workshop and make the brace based on the cast.

Alison

yeah it will be a cast i have been told i need to get surgery but i want to try all my other options before i nose dive into an operating theatre i am hoping that a cast will help correct my curve i can't remember exactly but i think my curve is 45 deg and 15 deg one of my other posts will inform you correctly it hurts like hell but i am told by quite a few of you guys that 45 deg is nothing which is worrying me

thanks for the reply R-J

"hurts like hell but i am told by quite a few of you guys that 45 deg is nothing which is worrying me"

Well I wouldn't say that 45 degrees is nothing, but from what i know its on the cusp of needing surgery/not needing surgery. What does concern me is "it hurts like hell". Have they (the docs) looked at other options to try and find out why it hurts like hell not just that it's curved. I can't think of many things off the top of my head but what about that it may be things other than the scoliosis, is it because it has rotation which means its pressing on other stuff, you have muscle tension which is causing the pain etc. Or have you tried "alternative therapies" to see if it can relieve the "hurts like hell". I know that you live near Rockhampton, but I also know that its not quite the end of the earth, so there'd probably be some of these in town. Off the top of my head I can think of physio, reiki, massage, reflexology. Or it could also be "Receptive pain" that its hurting in the back but its actually somewhere else that is the problem.

At your age, you still have to be wary of casts and your expectation of "cast will help correct my curve" does worry me slightly. Its different in early onset cases (kids) where they use casts to help correct progressive infantile scoliosis curvatures. The effect of the cast would be rather like wearing a brace from what I know and it would take a while to see any effect. It would also be very difficult to wear the cast from a psychological and social point of view.

My advice, try and find out exactly why it "hurts like hell", even if you have to bug and persist doctors lots and lots and lots. Theres lots of tests and stuff that they can do. Otherwise what could potentially happen is that they do the fusion and then it still "hurts like hell" and I know that that would frustrate me to no end and wonder why I went through the surgery in the first place.

Just stuff to consider (my 0.02 cents worth ;-)

ALison

thankyou very much for your '0.02cents' worth it has certainly given me somthing to think about.

somthing i have noticed is when my partner (who used to practice sports medicine) rubs my back the pain seems to take a holiday which is good but the problem is when the pain decides it wants to return everything is like normal again

i have done the mri thing and they told me nothing is wrong except for my buddy the curve who i don't think will ever leave me .... damn :-)

the pain gets worse.

brahman,

Hey hows it going.. just reading over the posts you have been leaving. I have had the herrington rod surgery, a few years ago in 2001 for an 80 degree curve in my upper back (thoracic). They told me I needed the surgery once my curve had gotten between 45 and 50 degrees, at first I refused but as it continued to get worse I finally got put on the waiting list, which ended up being for a whole year until I finally got a placement to have the surgery. I was wearing a brace this whole time (in total for 7 years) and my curve continued to get worse... okay so this has turned into a long message, but basically I had no pain until my curve got worse and worse, so did the pain. I have now had the surgery and the pain is still there but so much more bearable, and my curve is only 17 degrees! I guess what I am trying to say is that I am PRO surgery, and it seemed like you were on the fence. So I thought I would give you my opinion incase you could relate. I hope this helps!

lisanicole

Talking good news

i went to the surgeon this monday just gone and he informed me i do not in actual fact have scoliosis.... what the...?

aparantly i have severe muscle wastage causing a postural deformity, well now that has taken 3 years for somone to discover that can someone please tell me what is wrong with the health system

i have been worried sick for months that i would have to have surgery but this guy said i need to swim 3 times a week visit a physio 2x a week and get a swiss ball( i have always wanted to get a swiss ball)

thankyou very much for everyones support in helping me through the hard times

It must be nice to have an answer. I can actually relate to a degree,5 years of being told "its just a sprain" in my ankle, to find out in 10 minutes with a sports medicine doctor that I have in fact tore ligaments and needed two lots of surgery. Could I have screamed.

Hmmm...... could it be rare. My gut says go for a second opinion just to "make sure", cause you don't want to go down a treatment path if its not the right one and to make sure the diagnosis is the right one. Also do as much reasearch as you can. Often with medical stuff, doc's find it hard to go "outside the convential medical box" or if its something not seen often its often hard to pick up and often symptoms can "fit" under lots of different diagnosis's.

Swiss Ball's are fun (mmm maybe I shouldn't be saying that sad ALison lol) cause if you don't sit up straight you fall off which is funny.

Australia's health system isn't perfect, but its a lot better than a lot of other countries and its a lot more accessible that a lot of countries. That it not based on money........... and we have lots of health professionals such as physios, podiatrists, cardilogists, etc. Always remember docs aren't perfect and are human.

Best wishes with everything, hope that the physio and swimmming and the swiss ball all help and things move in the right direction (fingers crossed)

Alison

I don't know if I should say congratulations or not. I agree with Allison, get another opinion. Just in case. But either way all the exercise will be good for you. That really could explain the pain that you have been experiencing.
    Keep in touch and let us know what happens.
    Best wishes.
    Cheryl.

because i work in a hospital i have discovered the whole physio experience is not going to be as bad as i thought.

i met a few of the physios and they seem really nice so i might see if they can slip me in up there instead of having to pay the 50 dollars odd for some private physio

it was great hearing a reply from you guys i will fill you in on wednesday about what will be happening and yeah i am begining to think i might get a second opinion

the last surgeon said because my spine is not rotating and the curve is corrected when i put my hands up in the air it is not scoliosis but that is also what they said to one of my m,ates who now has rods ????? hmmmm