? about scolimeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about scolimeter

After reviewing my daughter's medical records, I noticed back in march of 2008 he reported a mid thoracic scoliometer reading of 18 degrees, also stating that "clearly her rotational scoliometer reading is significantly worse as well as the radiographic Cobb angle. She still has ope triradiate cartilages when measured from T6-L1 today was 51 degrees. Note this was march of 2009 report. So my question is would someone please explain all of this to me?? Thank you

Originally posted by Scolimomof1 View Post
    After reviewing my daughter's medical records, I noticed back in march of 2008 he reported a mid thoracic scoliometer reading of 18 degrees, also stating that "clearly her rotational scoliometer reading is significantly worse as well as the radiographic Cobb angle. She still has ope triradiate cartilages when measured from T6-L1 today was 51 degrees. Note this was march of 2009 report. So my question is would someone please explain all of this to me?? Thank you
    I don't know if you'll be around to check this out or not. I'll give it a try as to what this means.

The scoliometer is a rough measure of vertebral rotation. Anything higher than 10° would be worth an x-ray for someone who had yet to be diagnosed with scoliosis. The scoliometer reading being "significantly worse" is indicative of a likely progression in vertebral rotation. Also, as you mentioned the Cobb angle is worse.

T6-L1 are the vertebrae that are involved in the curve. T=thoracic, L=lumbar vertebrae. Because it involves the thoracic and lumbar regions this is classified as a thoraco-lumbar curve.

Open tri-radiate cartilage is indicative of the skeletal age. Growth plates basically. Open means there is more growing to do. Closed means that growth has probably stopped.

An angle of 51° with open TRC, it is highly likely that the curve will progress. But this can also be affected by how old your daughter is and if her periods have started and for how long.

Sorry this isn't better news for you. Good luck.

Comment

Are you a chiropractor?

I was wondering how a person can diagnose on-line???
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

No he is most definitely NOT a chiro! Quite the opposite.

He has a legitimate research doctorate from an accredited university and is presently doing a post doc at a very prestigious accredited university.

ETA: He hasn't diagnosed anything but merely interpreted the report comments. In fact most, if not all, of what he wrote is common knowledge that can be easily gleaned from the scoliosis literature.
        Last edited by Pooka1; 01-16-2010, 09:50 PM.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker View Post
          Are you a chiropractor?

I was wondering how a person can diagnose on-line???
          I think Pooka answered this already, but just to hear it from me.

No I'm not a Chiropractor. I have my PhD in rehabilitation sciences and did my dissertation on an exercise protocol for scoliosis management.

I wasn't diagnosing and I am very intentionally avoiding that. If I give any type of opinion for anyone I try to post as many disclaimers as I can that I am not a clinician.

I was just trying to interpret these findings for this family.

Comment

Working...
          X