Looking for more suggestions for getting off of pain meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for more suggestions for getting off of pain meds

Paula's on 1 20 mg. oxycontin pill every 12 hours (so 2/day).

I have percoset on hand as well--given for breakthrough pain, but never really needed it.

Talked to the NP today who said it's still early out (only 2 weeks today) so not to worry/rush but I'd really like to start weaning her off of the oxycontin.

The NP said to drop out one dose (most likely we'll do daytime) and substitute the percoset in every 4-6 hrs. as needed and to space those doses farther and farther apart. Then do the oxycontin at night to let her sleep through the night.

Any other suggestions as how to work this? Is it too early for her to come off of the oxycontin?

I guess I'm one that needs a schedule set out. The NP said that if it looked like she needed 2 percoset every 4 hrs., that could be a clue that she needs to be back on the oxycontin for more long lasting relief.

Her appetite is poor and with her being anemic, I'd really like to see her improve on her eating. I think it's most likely the oxycontin.

Thanks, y'all!

I think you have a good plan except to me, it's a little too soon. But you'll soon find out, if the Percocet don't do the job. Being young, she's likely to be off meds sooner than an older patient and I'm sure there are parents here who can tell you how their kids managed.

I didn't start cutting back until 6 weeks and did it slowly, but still became dependent. Mind you, I was on 40mg x 2 daily. By 6 weeks I'd already cut out all Endone x 8 daily. I think Endone might be the same as your Percocet?
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
      I think you have a good plan except to me, it's a little too soon. But you'll soon find out, if the Percocet don't do the job. Being young, she's likely to be off meds sooner than an older patient and I'm sure there are parents here who can tell you how their kids managed.

I didn't start cutting back until 6 weeks and did it slowly, but still became dependent. Mind you, I was on 40mg x 2 daily. By 6 weeks I'd already cut out all Endone x 8 daily. I think Endone might be the same as your Percocet?
      Hi, Jennifer.

Thanks for your suggestions. I did speak with the NP today who also suggested moving down to 10 mg of oxycontin. So we may go with that first--they are mailing me a scrip today.

I'm not sure what Endone is--percoset is oxycodone w/tylenol.

Marian

Comment

Oh ok, well Endone is quick acting oxycontin, as far as I know. I think cutting back to 10mg x 2 daily is probably a good way to do it. If it holds her pain, I would suggest stay at that level for at least a couple of weeks before cutting back further. This probably sounds excessive, but oxycontin can be tricky to cut back without dependence problems. Though in all my reading, I've never heard of a youngster having this problem.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
          Oh ok, well Endone is quick acting oxycontin, as far as I know. I think cutting back to 10mg x 2 daily is probably a good way to do it. If it holds her pain, I would suggest stay at that level for at least a couple of weeks before cutting back further. This probably sounds excessive, but oxycontin can be tricky to cut back without dependence problems. Though in all my reading, I've never heard of a youngster having this problem.
          Thanks, Jennifer. She's on the slow release oxycontin.

I did talk to the NP and she'll be sending me a prescription for the 10 mg. tabs and to wean her from there.

I had read about the oxycontin problems, so I'm glad that both you and the NP suggested it. In fact, b/c I read that there were lower doses of the oxycontin available, I mentioned it first to the NP. She said Paula could certainly try going that route and explained how to go about working with the 10 mg. tab.

Thanks, again!

Comment

Working...
          X