Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edema Issue

Hi All

I'm just about one month out from my A/P surgery and am doing quite well overall. Today I had a follow-up appointment with my Internist about my numerous medications, including Lasix. When I was in the hospital, my edema was quite bad, not unusual after 3 surgeries in one week. So, I have have been on Lasix + Potassium ever since. Most of my edema has disappeared -- with the exception of my lower left leg and foot. My MD wants me to get a venous doppler image of that leg to check for possible clots. This was done in the hospital and no clots were found but she is being cautious.

I'm having a hard time getting an appointment for the doppler. In the meantime, have any of you had an issue with persistent edema following your scoliosis surgery? Anything you can suggest to help? Compression stocking, for example?

Many thanks

Karen
    Karen, 66 years "young"
    Polio at 6
    Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
    Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
    Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
    Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
    Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Three surgeries in one week:
    8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
    8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
    9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Hi Karen,
    I would think that compression stockings would be very important to wear if you still have edema. I didn't have edema, but I wore the compressions stockings for several weeks following my first surgery, until I was able to walk for more than a few minutes at a time.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Karen

My ankles and feet were the size of footballs, and I looked like I was 7 months pregnant when I woke up after surgery.

They used the compression stockings in the hospital, but they wanted me walking, and walking, and more walking!!!!

I used ski poles for walking outside. They work great. Also great for dealing with friendly jumping dogs.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        Hi Karen

My ankles and feet were the size of footballs, and I looked like I was 7 months pregnant when I woke up after surgery.

They used the compression stockings in the hospital, but they wanted me walking, and walking, and more walking!!!!

I used ski poles for walking outside. They work great. Also great for dealing with friendly jumping dogs.
        Ed
        Ed,

you must have been quite the site--compression stockings AND ski poles? Just kidding.

Karen,
        I hope your swelling goes down quickly. Keep us posted.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Karen,
          Have you tried elevating you legs, I know this sounds obvious, but sometimes you just don't think of it. I had edema before surgery. The morning after surgery, my physio came in and we starting ankle and hip flexing 20x per hour to prevent this and it worked for me. Maybe you could ask your physio, if this sort of excercise would help you. Best wishes.
          Vali
          44 years young! now 45
          Surgery - June 1st, 2009
          Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
          St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
          Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
          Post -op - 5 degrees
          T11 - S1 Posterior
          L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Thank you all. I love the image of Ed with compression stockings and poles. Unfortunately, my friendly, jumping dogs are "inside" my house

Yesterday I went for a venous doppler to see if I have any blood clots in my left leg. Yippee! No clots.

In the hospital, I had those automatic compression cuffs on both my legs. However, I'm surprised that no one recommended compression stockings post-op. My Internist was the first person who did, so now I'm wearing a stocking on my puffy leg. Ed, like you, I looked like a big balloon after my three surgeries. Luckily, my left leg is the only part of my body that needs to deflate.

I'm trying my best to elevate my leg when I sit, walk as much as possible outdoors with my Nordic walking poles (which I highly recommend), and doing my PT stretches.

Again, thanks so much. I'll keep you posted.

Have a great day!

Karen
            Karen, 66 years "young"
            Polio at 6
            Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
            Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
            Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
            Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
            Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Three surgeries in one week:
            8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
            8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
            9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Working...
            X