Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dizziness and tiredness

Hi everyone,
    I have a had a good recovery (knock on wood) so far, however, in the last two weeks, I've noticed that i suddenly need the three o'clock nap, the nine o'clock bedtime and still struggle to get out of bed at 7.30am. Is this a passing phase or am i maybe doing too much too soon. I also find that late afternoon is when i start to feel dizzy, which is usually when i need the afternoon nap. This is really confusing, because previous to this, i gave up my afternoon naps because I wasn't getting a good nights sleep.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

I had my surgery the day before you. In the last week or so I have been very tired and achy, and I've needed more sleep. Finally I stopped to think about all that I have been doing. I've been trying to be "normal" too soon. My guess is that I have been pushing a little too hard. So yesterday I cut way back on the exercise, took a nap and went to bed early. I feel better today. From what I've read on this forum, it can take several months -- up to 1 year or more -- to get one's stamina back.

The dizziness is different. Are you on any pain meds? Many of them can cause dizziness. If it's not the meds, I would check in with your doctor if that doesn't go away soon.

Sheri
    At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
    Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
    Excellent correction

Comment

Hi Vali,

Who really knows what is normal when it comes to this surgery, hell the Doctor's don't know how each of us will heal. Some take longer than other. It depends on what degree's were corrected our age, and even how physically fit we have pre-op.

Give yourself time to heal no matter how long you need. And sleep is the best thing for our bodied to heal. So if you feel like a nap, or go to bed early, listen to your body. It will let you know what it needs believe it or not.

Best wishes, peaceful rest and hang in there, it does get better.
      Shari

Comment

Hi Vali, I had surgery just after you also, I had that dizziness up till just recently, every time I laid down, I would get a spell. It was to the point that I was going to call my regular physician, but amazingly it just went away. Are you working, I know that I'm pretty good all day at work, but when I get home, I'm very tired and in bed every night between 8:30 and 9:00. And Sheri now that you mention it, I've been cutting way back on my pain meds, maybe that's why the dizziness is gone.
        Dolores A
        June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
        June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
        Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
        NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Vali

Sounds familiar!

Listen to your body. I was napping for about 10 months. Damn, I miss those! LOL

Had the dizzies also. They will eventually go away. Your off meds?

Easy does it. One day at a time
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi all,
            I went to see my GP, he ordered bloods just to double check, however nothing was flagged. One thing we did find was that whereas I had a hyperactive thyroid pre-op, it is now normal. Will check again in 3 months time. Cholesterol fell by two points?????? Anyway, my GP thinks at this point that the dizziness is caused by my fall in blood pressure 90/60. Will keep a check on that too.
            Thankyou for your responses, they are most appreciated. I came off pain meds on day 15 post-op. Admittedly, I have been going around 'normally' doing things and this is probably where fault lies with me. The brain says
            "yeah, yeah lets go we're feeling great" and the body says "where you goin sucker, I can't move that fast - slow down". I considered myself as going backwards if I had to go back to taking naps again, however, it seems that this may be just what i need to move forward!
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Sounds to me like you've done very well Vali! Interesting about your hyperactive thyroid. I also had a hyperactive thyroid prior to surgery and it's now normal. I'm due for my next test in November, hopefully this happy situation will continue!

I'm another who had dizziness too. I was dizzy for 6-7 weeks. It was no fun.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
              X