Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
    PNUTTRO

Melatonin Signaling Dysfunction doesn't mean that kids don't produce Melatonin.

One of Melatonin's jobs is to shut down the molecule cAMP. For whatever reason children with Scoliosis produce Melatonin but it doesn't do it's job and flush out the cAMP in bones.
    Exactly my point. If you can produce melatonin, but not respond to it properly, then no amount of darkness or other method to increase melatonin will make your cells react differently.

Comment

Melatonin

PNUTTRO

Exactly my point. If you can produce melatonin, but not respond to it properly, then no amount of darkness or other method to increase melatonin will make your cells react differently.
      Melatonin does a lot more than flush out cAMP molecules. Every other part of the system is working properly.

If Melatonin wasn't working at all I think that might turn fatal at some point.

Comment

OPN and bracing

METHOD OF DETERMINING RISK OF SCOLIOSIS

Bracing (if it's effective) and surgery lower OPN levels. If OPN levels don't drop a brace will be ineffective. GOLD!

[0014] In accordance with another aspect of the present invention, there is provided a method for assessing the efficacy of a brace on a subject having a scoliosis comprising measuring osteopontin (OPN) expression in a sample from the subject prior to and at least once after bracing the subject, wherein an increase in the OPN expression after as compared to prior to bracing the subject is indicative that the brace is ineffective.

[0015] In a specific embodiment, the determining the OPN expression after the bracing is performed at least one month after the bracing. In another specific embodiment, the determining the OPN expression after bracing the subject is performed at least 2 months after the bracing. In another specific embodiment, the determining the OPN expression after bracing the subject is performed at least three months after the bracing. In another specific embodiment, the determining the OPN expression after bracing the subject is performed at least six months after the bracing.

[00162] A distribution of 12 AIS patients was also performed across the predefined cut-off zones pre-operation and post-operation. Figure 15 shows 92% of the surgically treated patients had pre-operation OPN levels in the red-zone (>800ng/mL of plasma OPN level), while the remaining 8% were in the yellow zone (700-800ng/mL). No patients were in the green zone representing plasma OPN levels <700 ng/mL. This also shows a strong correlation between high OPN concentrations and the progression of scoliotic curves.

[00163] Panel B of Figure 15 show that red zone patients who were treated surgically experienced a decline in OPN concentrations in the blood. 75% of the surgically treated patients fell into the green and yellow zones (800 ng/mL or less).

Comment

OPN and Selenium

Dr. Moreu is very direct that Selenium is low in children with AIS and supplements may be an effective treatment. I copied in all of the relevant paragraphs. There were several others that mentioned Selenium but they primarily talked about ways to administer it.

[0024] In accordance with another aspect of the present invention, there is provided a method of preventing or reducing scoliosis comprising administering to a subject having scoliosis a therapeutically effective amount of an osteopontin inhibitor (OPN) or a selenium rich diet, whereby scoliosis is thereby prevented or treated.

[00114] Any amount of a pharmaceutical and/or nutraceutical and/or dietary supplement compositions can be administered to a subject. The dosages will depend on many factors including the mode of administration. Typically, the amount of anti-scoliosis composition (e.g. osteopontin inhibitor or selenium compound) contained within a single dose will be an amount that effectively prevents, delays or reduces scoliosis without inducing significant toxicity "therapeutically effective amount".

---

EXAMPLE 14 Comparison of selenium levels in AIS patients vs. healthy subjects

[00166] Selenium concentration was reported to be significantly decreased in plasma of AIS patients (42). Selenium and more specifically Se-methylselenocystein, an organoselenium naturally occurring in diet, are used to prevent metastasis in breast cancer as chemopreventive therapy by targeting OPN transcription (43-45).

[00167] Plasma selenium concentration was thus measured in pediatric populations (AIS vs. healthy controls) to determine whether or not low selenium levels correlate with higher OPN concentrations in AIS. Plasma selenium concentrations were determined by a fluorometric method using 2,3-diaminonaphthalene (DAN) (46, 47). Results presented in Figures 18 and 19 show a correlation between high OPN levels and low selenium levels in scoliotic and asymptomatic at risk children.

Comment

Brazil nuts and Selenium

Brazil Nuts are the richest, natural source of Selenium available.

USAWEEKEND: Nuts

Brazil nuts, a holiday favorite, are the food richest in selenium, a potent antioxidant linked to low rates of cancer and heart disease. If you ate only one Brazil nut a day, you would never be deficient in selenium, says Donald J. Lisk, at Cornell University. Gobbling more than a half-dozen Brazil nuts every day could add up to nausea-causing selenium toxicity, he cautions.
            Nut & Seed chart

1 ounce of brazil nuts (6 nuts) contain 543.5mcg of Selenium
            Brazil nuts boost health

One Brazil nut a day is enough to raise the average New Zealander's selenium intake to internationally recommended levels and eating two could lead to added health benefits, according to University of Otago researchers.
            Seeking selenium? Try Brazil nuts: study finds this rich food source of the antioxidant mineral is superior to supplements.(PREVENTION)

A study in the February issue of The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition shows that Brazil nuts are better at raising blood levels of this essential trace mineral than supplements. In the study, one group consumed two Brazil nuts daily (about 100 micrograms, or mcg, of selenium); a second group took 100 mcg of a selenium supplement; and a third group received a placebo for 12 weeks. Those who ate Brazil nuts had substantially higher blood concentrations of selenium.

"The supplement raised [serum selenium] levels, but not as much as the nuts," says Kathy Isoldi, MS, RD, CDE, a registered dietitian at Weill Cornell Medical College. "It is believed that the food source offers a more bioavailable form of selenium."
            National Institues of Health: Selenium

Recommended Daily Allowance Of Selenium
            The RDA recommends the average daily dietary intake level that is sufficient to meet the nutrient requirements of nearly all (97-98%) healthy individuals in each age and gender group.
            1 - 3 years: 20mcg
            4 - 8 years: 30mcg
            9 - 13 years: 40mcg
            14 - adult: 55mcg

Tolerable Daily Upper Intake Of Selenium
            The Upper Limit is the maximum daily intake unlikely to result in adverse health effects.
            0 - 6 months: 45mcg
            7 - 12 months: 60mcg
            1 - 3 years: 90mcg
            4 - 8 years: 150mcg
            9 - 13 years: 280mcg
            14 - adult: 400mcg
            Last edited by Dingo; 09-29-2009, 10:39 PM.

Comment

One thing really stood out

[0065] Mean plasma OPN concentration in patients with AIS were significantly higher (p-value <0.001) in patients with AIS having a Cobb's angle >45° (965 ± 414 nanograms per milliliter) than that in healthy controls (570 ± 156 nanograms per milliliter) and than that in AIS patients with a Cobb's angle <45° (799 ± 284 nanograms per milliliter). Diagnostic sensitivity and specificity of OPN for AIS was 84.4 percent and 90.6 percent respectively (cut-off value > 800 nanograms per milliliter). Subgroup analysis showed that 47.9 percent of children at risk had OPN values higher than 800 nanograms per milliliter as opposed to only 8.6 percent for the controls indicating that elevated plasma OPN levels precede scoliosis formation. There were no significant differences in mean plasma sCD44 levels and HA levels between all groups.
              The "at risk" group consisted of children without Scoliosis who had 1 parent with Scoliosis. Approximately 50% of these children had dangerously high levels of OPN. If OPN was only implicated in Scoliosis it wouldn't be as stunning. It seems implausible to me that half of the offspring produced by parents with Scoliosis would be saddled by heredity with a potentially fatal health time-bomb. I think this discovery might provide evidence as to what the environmental half of Scoliosis is.

This story comes to mind.
              LA Times: Rats' virus holds clues to diabetes
              The BioBreeding, or BB, rat naturally develops diabetes at about 2 months of age, and researchers have attributed the disease to genetics. The new findings suggest that there is indeed a genetic susceptibility but that the precipitating event is a viral infection.
              Last edited by Dingo; 09-30-2009, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Maybe they have a genetic predisposition to being infected with that virus whereas normal controls don't get infected or get over it.

It would be like the opposite situation where a small group of HIV patients overcome the infection, perhaps due to some genetic control. In the rats' case, they only get the infection and consequences due to having a different genetic make-up.

If most/all the rats of this type become diabetic at around 2 months then the virus must be common in the environment. If true, incidence of diabetes in this rat strain is under genetic control. Maybe people are the same way. My brother became diabetic and the rest of us did not, all living in the same environment.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

it's going to be interesting

Pooka1

It certainly could work that way. I'm really curious to see how this all turns out over the next few years.

I hope someone interviews Dr. Moreau and he offers an explanation for the high OPN levels in kids with and without Scoliosis. This is where a twin study would really be useful.

Comment

It seems implausible to me that half of the offspring produced by people with Scoliosis would be saddled by heredity with a potentially fatal health time-bomb.
                    I agree, I think it probably shows that half the kids have already been infected with a common childhood illness, such as chickenpox, that causes an exagerated immune response in those kids with the genetic predisposition. And, who knows, maybe the body "knows" that these kids with the lax ligaments are going to have problems with this viral antagonist in their bodies and so the immune system goes into overdrive trying to get rid of it before the damage is done and continues to react even more strongly as the damage (the scoliosis) is being done to it.

Like your very interesting article about the rats you posted, I think this theory definitely deserves some research into it. I think it is plausible. And perhaps just to see if Solodyn, which is an extended release version of minocycline, possibly has an effect on controlling the immune response, perhaps an interested surgeon could prescribe this acne drug to some willing patients and see if it has an immediate effect on them. It's not that dangerous a drug after all. And then if it works, a brace could possibly be used to redirect the growth after the abnormal immune response is done and straighten out the curve a bit? Who knows...I think it's a fascinating theory to be tested.

Or maybe the scoliosis starts slowly forming immediately, and so the immune response starts immediately.....which would, of course, be the ideal time to treat it. So possibly, kids could have had that Scoliscore test taken and then when they get chicken pox, and if they have a high probability of progressing, they could be immediately prescribed a drug afterwards, like Solodyn,that stops the formation of the curve before it even gets started! Wouldn't that be awesome! It's so exciting to think about. (And that way, it would only require one blood draw for the Scoliscore DNA test, which is MUCH more plausible in kids....or anyone else for that matter. I know I would have never been able to get my kids to submit to the blood draws such as that being planned with the Canadian group and (even if I could, I probably wouldn't have done it because of the stress and duress it would have caused them).....and listening to kids who ARE getting their blood drawn, it's not a very fun experience for any of them....or their parent, or the tech drawing the blood!
                    Last edited by Ballet Mom; 09-30-2009, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Actually, now that I think about it, I suppose the Scoliscore test could possibly be done with a saliva or other sample instead of a blood draw? If so, so much the better!

I did just find out that the Scoliscore test is a saliva based test, which is a huge bonus in my book!

http://www.news-medical.net/news/200...in-the-US.aspx
                      Last edited by Ballet Mom; 10-01-2009, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
                        ........ because of the stress and duress it would have caused them).....and listening to kids who ARE getting their blood drawn, it's not a very fun experience for any of them....or their parent, or the tech drawing the blood!
                        Our daughter didn't mind it at all - in fact she asked the nurse when she was going to take the blood and it was already done!!! ...So not stressful in all situations!!
                        CAmomof2

July 07 - T 26*
                        Aug 08 - curve now 22*
                        Sept 08 - SpineCor Brace (in brace 17*) Ste. Justine
                        March 09 - in brace 14*
                        Aug 09 - in brace 14* / MRI normal
                        Feb 10 - in brace 18* - had an oob xray - now 35*
                        June 10 Considered VBS T 32*, L 27* , Stopped SpineCor brace
                        Sept 10 T 38*, L 26*
                        April 11 T 45*, L 31*
                        July 11 T 51*, L 37*
                        MIS SURGERY - NOV 28, 2011 / Age 12 / Fused T4 - T12

Comment

Working...
                        X