Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks you guys. I haven't returned to the gym yet. I've been sick the past week, barely getting over it and just started school. I might sign up in a week or two. The weather is kinda cold lately and it's not helping with my hardware. I need to do some small exercises and swimming though, I think it would help a lot.

BTW, I'm not worried about the scar fading, that's the least of my concerns, I just want my darn back to fuse lol.

Comment

• Well, I hope you feel better soon! Yes, I agree with starting small. I was sick for just a few days and when I got back on the treadmill today, I couldn't even do half what I was doing. Take care of yourself. Beware that some pools are COLD. The "Y" took over our local pool one year and lowered the pool temp to save money. I couldn't swim in it because I was too miserable and I don't have hardware.

Rohrer01
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

• John

Your symmetry looks great.....without the scars, you couldn’t tell you were a scoli from the pics.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
          Well, I hope you feel better soon! Yes, I agree with starting small. I was sick for just a few days and when I got back on the treadmill today, I couldn't even do half what I was doing. Take care of yourself. Beware that some pools are COLD. The "Y" took over our local pool one year and lowered the pool temp to save money. I couldn't swim in it because I was too miserable and I don't have hardware.

Rohrer01
          Yeah. I'm sure I won't be able to do 1/4 the weight I use to do in the weight. I remember 5-6 months after first surgery, I was struggling to curl 15lb dumbells which is pretty bad. So now, after an addition 1.5 years, I'm sure I'll have to start all over and get use to how lifting/exercising with my new back feels. I don't know if I'll ever be able to go 100%, I hope, only time will tell.

Also, about the cold water, that is what I'm worried about! Lol. I remember in the summer, it was OK, sometimes it was cold sometimes it was warm. I hope they turn up the heat in the winter time, I'll get a 7 day week pass to see how my back reacts to the gym, and if it's good, I'll do a membership.

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          John

Your symmetry looks great.....without the scars, you couldn’t tell you were a scoli from the pics.

Ed
          Thanks Ed. I do look pretty even. My hips are a little off in X-Rays, but to the naked eye, my rib hump and back look damn good. I just hope it stays that way.
          John

Comment

• i bet you could ask the club what temp they keep their pool at....
            i don't think the pools they use for aqua therapy are cold...

any time anyone leaves the gym for a while, it takes time to rebuild...yes?
            it is probably just going to be slow

jess

Comment

• Yes. I could ask. But I won't really know in terms of degrees if I'll be able to swim in it or not. I'd have to actually go, and I want to test out swimming and light cardio, if it hurts and I'm not ready, I'll wait longer instead of have a membership go to waste. This pool isn't for aqua therapy, so I'm not sure if it will be hot, it's warmer than normal though.

It does take time rebuild when you take a break, but it's much tougher when you have spinal surgeries. All your muscles are still healing, and almost every exercise requires your back, so it's much more complex then just taking a break from the gym. I'll have to work my muscles lower than what I even started with before getting in the gym. It's not a problem, I just hope I can slowly build my way back. Gym was my favorite thing lol.

Comment

• yes, it does make sense that it is harder after surgery to build muscles...
                but if you look at all the athletes who are injured and come back, it must be
                do-able...
                of course, i don't know if any of them have major back surgery...
                but then, you won't have any time pressure to do anything too fast...
                only pressure would be if you put any on yourself....
                you are young, so with patience, i bet it is a challenge you will be able to achieve...
                small goals lead to bigger ones

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
                  Yes. I could ask. But I won't really know in terms of degrees if I'll be able to swim in it or not. I'd have to actually go, and I want to test out swimming and light cardio, if it hurts and I'm not ready, I'll wait longer instead of have a membership go to waste. This pool isn't for aqua therapy, so I'm not sure if it will be hot, it's warmer than normal though.

It does take time rebuild when you take a break, but it's much tougher when you have spinal surgeries. All your muscles are still healing, and almost every exercise requires your back, so it's much more complex then just taking a break from the gym. I'll have to work my muscles lower than what I even started with before getting in the gym. It's not a problem, I just hope I can slowly build my way back. Gym was my favorite thing lol.
                  As far as swimming goes, I don't know if I would recommend all out swimming at first. I would just probably wade around in the water to start, then move to one of those boards you can float on, then floating on your back with gentle leg and arm movements. I think the swim styles where you are face down might put too much stress on your lumbar. Just my opinion. But I really think if you take it slow and do the easiest things first, you'll eventually get there. I just don't want to see you jump in the water and expect to swim like you did before, have it hurt, and then give up. Baby steps...

Take Care.
                  Rohrer01
                  Be happy!
                  We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                    Your back looks great!
                    I second that!
                    Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                      yes, it does make sense that it is harder after surgery to build muscles...
                      but if you look at all the athletes who are injured and come back, it must be
                      do-able...
                      of course, i don't know if any of them have major back surgery...
                      but then, you won't have any time pressure to do anything too fast...
                      only pressure would be if you put any on yourself....
                      you are young, so with patience, i bet it is a challenge you will be able to achieve...
                      small goals lead to bigger ones

jess
                      Yeah. Spinal surgery isn't a leg injury or pulled muscle lol. It's tough. I'll try my best to work my way back though. I'm not rushing things, so hopefully down the road in a year, I can get back to lifting hard. We'll see how it goes.

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                      As far as swimming goes, I don't know if I would recommend all out swimming at first. I would just probably wade around in the water to start, then move to one of those boards you can float on, then floating on your back with gentle leg and arm movements. I think the swim styles where you are face down might put too much stress on your lumbar. Just my opinion. But I really think if you take it slow and do the easiest things first, you'll eventually get there. I just don't want to see you jump in the water and expect to swim like you did before, have it hurt, and then give up. Baby steps...

Take Care.
                      Rohrer01
                      Of course. I don't plan on doing anything serious in the pool. Just very light strokes, and then taking a break each few minutes. This isn't my first surgery, I know how to take things slow. I'm not expecting to jump in and do 20 laps or to go lift weights, so no need to worry about me lol. I'll take it very slow.

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                      I second that!
                      Sally
                      Thanks Sally!

Comment

• Glad to hear that you are doing OK
                        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• 19 year old male. Scoliosis Progressing.

I most certainly hope you start feeling better. Rest and continue with the chips. Nothing heavy.
                          Take care. Reneetina ps going to see Bederman this Wed. since we spoke of him
                          60 yrs old did scuba,lift & work. Miss all.
                          1st t surgery,28 years. L4/5 fusion
                          2nd surgery 10-19; went from 2 80%+ curves to 20% + 30%.T4-S1,38 screws (loose & angled wrong), 15 fusions many fusions did not take,& horrific had/have(?) infection.
                          Lot of pain.

Comment

• 19 year old male. Scoliosis progressing

HI John: I was typing, wanted you to know I was thinking of you in a good way. I guess I made a typo at the end of message. Sorry about that as sometimes I have dyslexia or can't think straight. Glad your looking good. I did warm pool & it made me feel terrific. Keep up the good work. Reneetina
                            60 yrs old did scuba,lift & work. Miss all.
                            1st t surgery,28 years. L4/5 fusion
                            2nd surgery 10-19; went from 2 80%+ curves to 20% + 30%.T4-S1,38 screws (loose & angled wrong), 15 fusions many fusions did not take,& horrific had/have(?) infection.
                            Lot of pain.

Comment

Working...
                            X