Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi JDM

Just wondering, what levels does he want to fuse?

You have a large x-ray. At 6 foot 5 inches, you are one of the tallest scolis we have seen here.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      Hi JDM

Just wondering, what levels does he want to fuse?

You have a large x-ray. At 6 foot 5 inches, you are one of the tallest scolis we have seen here.

Ed
      He isn't sure yet, I need to get "bending xrays" to see how flexible I am and to see how much the curve can be fixed. All I know is my flexibility is going to suck REAL bad after this surgery because it looks like my scoliosis is as far down as it can go. If I had to guess, I would say I need to be fused from T10-L4 or L5.

Comment

Previous lumbar curve

Hi JDM!

I haven't been on here in awhile and just finished reading this post and looking at your x-rays, they look like mine did! I hope this helps.

I am fused from T10 to L4 I was at 49* and am now at 8*. My surgery was 2/22/06 and I was 42. I worked out before surgery and still do, just a bit differently in some ways. Muscle has awesome memory I couldn't believe how fast it came back! I did lose a lot of weight and that too unfortunately has memory, darn it! I was ready to go back to the gym and work with a PT at 3 months but waited till 4 because my Dr. wasn't too thrilled at me going back that soon. I went back to snow skiing but gave up water skiing. No biggie, I didn't go that much. I can run but it feels weird so I don't. I fast walk on the treadmill for cardio. I can lift weights so that it does not stress my lower spine. I went to see my Dr. at my 3 yr check up and he looked at my back and said "you're ripped!" LOL! I had been working with a trainer and it showed! So you will be fine in the muscle dept. Also, you have your youth working for you. I am almost as flexable as I was prior to my surgery, loose quads help and you bend at the hips more then you realise. I had no problem with shoes and socks. My quads were a bit stiff post-op so I just put my ankle on the opposite knee to apply sock/shoe, I am in Sac and we have a support/info meeting each 2ND Sat. of all the months except Summer. If you want more info e-mail me @ suzy907@hotmail.com Dr. Pichetti speaks at these meetings from time to time. I don't know who is on schedule for the Nov. meeting.
        Hope to talk to you soon, Suzy

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy View Post
          Hi JDM!

I haven't been on here in awhile and just finished reading this post and looking at your x-rays, they look like mine did! I hope this helps.

I am fused from T10 to L4 I was at 49* and am now at 8*. My surgery was 2/22/06 and I was 42. I worked out before surgery and still do, just a bit differently in some ways. Muscle has awesome memory I couldn't believe how fast it came back! I did lose a lot of weight and that too unfortunately has memory, darn it! I was ready to go back to the gym and work with a PT at 3 months but waited till 4 because my Dr. wasn't too thrilled at me going back that soon. I went back to snow skiing but gave up water skiing. No biggie, I didn't go that much. I can run but it feels weird so I don't. I fast walk on the treadmill for cardio. I can lift weights so that it does not stress my lower spine. I went to see my Dr. at my 3 yr check up and he looked at my back and said "you're ripped!" LOL! I had been working with a trainer and it showed! So you will be fine in the muscle dept. Also, you have your youth working for you. I am almost as flexable as I was prior to my surgery, loose quads help and you bend at the hips more then you realise. I had no problem with shoes and socks. My quads were a bit stiff post-op so I just put my ankle on the opposite knee to apply sock/shoe, I am in Sac and we have a support/info meeting each 2ND Sat. of all the months except Summer. If you want more info e-mail me @ suzy907@hotmail.com Dr. Pichetti speaks at these meetings from time to time. I don't know who is on schedule for the Nov. meeting.
          Hope to talk to you soon, Suzy
          Thanks for your post. Who was your doctor? Was it Dr. Pichetti? I'm guessing you do a posterior surgery right? Also, did you gain any height? I know it's not going to be the same for me, but just to get an idea. And what do you mean running feels different? By different, does that mean it would hurt or I can't play bball or sports anymore or what? Also, is there a "limit" to the amount of weight you can do at the gym or can you do whatever you want, just don't put pressure on the spine? I already stopped doing some workouts like Squats and Deadlifts for my spine. Anyways, thanks for your post!
          John

Comment

Hi John
            it sounds like you might be angry...sad, frustrated (to say it politely ), & i bet alot of the folks on this forum can empathize....most people go through all those feelings when first told surgery is needed....it is like grieving...& it takes a while...cause, in my opinion, scoli stinks (to put it politely!) it's not fair, it can be (though not always) random, & it picks it's victims without regard for anything! i have had this diagnosis for quite awhile, & i still get...well.... p_ _sed!!

actually, scoliosis goes alot lower, through the lumbar to the pelvis...sooo, i dont know that it will make you feel better right now, but..if you file this info for later...it might....& i think you will still have some flexibility, as others can tell you, since you said your fusion will go to L5, not to the pelvis....

soooo...

i so sorry for you being so young & getting this diagnosis...but as someone else said, younger people usually heal much faster than we old, um..old-er folks ( )...they "bounce back" better...pardon the expression!

this forum is a great place to get info & hear of others' experience...it truly is informative & the people here can be trusted!

best of luck
            jess

Comment

John,

I plan on having my surgery on December 9th, 2009 and will have both anterior and posterior done. I will have my T11 to L5 fused. I recently found about my scoliosis and just found out about adult onset scoliosis. I never had a problem prior to this year, where my doctor requested x-rays. I now have a 52 degree curve. I used to workout with weights once a day, sometimes twice. That is my concern after surgery, is if I can return to lifting weights. I am 38 years old and plan to return to the gym as fast as I can!

Comment

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
                John,

I plan on having my surgery on December 9th, 2009 and will have both anterior and posterior done. I will have my T11 to L5 fused. I recently found about my scoliosis and just found out about adult onset scoliosis. I never had a problem prior to this year, where my doctor requested x-rays. I now have a 52 degree curve. I used to workout with weights once a day, sometimes twice. That is my concern after surgery, is if I can return to lifting weights. I am 38 years old and plan to return to the gym as fast as I can!
                Rich,

you will be able to go back to the gym; however, you will have to listen to your body as to what is right for you. It's probably different for each of us.

For instance, I have been back to a 'regular people' exercise aerobic class since about 6 months post-op. I decided recently that I was able to do push-ups again (from the knee like a girl ) and I did so for a class or two. All of a sudden last time, it just felt like it was stressing my spine. I will not try again for a while. I don't want to compromise my fusion because my ego thinks I should be able to do something at a certain point, when it is really too much and too soon for my body.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
                  John,

I have a friend who had surgery at 15/16 and he is 17 now and he is back at the gym and bigger than he was before. I don't know about you, but I will be back in the gym by 4-5 months doing light weights and cardio to get in shape. I know I will lose a lot of body weight and muscle, but I will gain it back.
                  Originally posted by debbei View Post
                  Rich,

you will be able to go back to the gym; however, you will have to listen to your body as to what is right for you. It's probably different for each of us.

For instance, I have been back to a 'regular people' exercise aerobic class since about 6 months post-op. I decided recently that I was able to do push-ups again (from the knee like a girl ) and I did so for a class or two. All of a sudden last time, it just felt like it was stressing my spine. I will not try again for a while. I don't want to compromise my fusion because my ego thinks I should be able to do something at a certain point, when it is really too much and too soon for my body.
                  So you're saying that you though doing push up's were putting stress on your spine? How is your spine getting affected in any way unless you were doing the wrong form. Push up is a very simple exercise that involves the triceps and chest, and using your knees should make it even simpler, so I'm not understanding how that put pressure on the spine. How long after the surgery did you try doing these "push ups"?

Comment

Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
                    I have a friend who had surgery at 15/16 and he is 17 now and he is back at the gym and bigger than he was before. I don't know about you, but I will be back in the gym by 4-5 months doing light weights and cardio to get in shape. I know I will lose a lot of body weight and muscle, but I will gain it back.

So you're saying that you though doing push up's were putting stress on your spine? How is your spine getting affected in any way unless you were doing the wrong form. Push up is a very simple exercise that involves the triceps and chest, and using your knees should make it even simpler, so I'm not understanding how that put pressure on the spine. How long after the surgery did you try doing these "push ups"?
                    It just felt stressful on my spine--and yes I was doing it right. My motto is, if it feels 'bad', I won't do it. I'll give it a little more time and try again. Again, I don't want to do anything to compromise my fusion. It's so easy to have big plans for 'what I'm going to do' after fusion, but you really can't say for sure until you are there. Everyone's recovery is different.

Editing to add, how could it not put stress on the spine? Holding your torso rigid like that with gravity pulling down.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                      Editing to add, how could it not put stress on the spine? Holding your torso rigid like that with gravity pulling down.
                      I'm sorry, but when I do push ups there is no pressure on the spine what so ever. Even with gravity, it wouldn't be enough to put pressure and hurt me. Maybe because I've done way harder workouts than push ups my body is acting differently than others who don't workout like me. I don't know what to say I guess. Everyone is different.

Comment

scoliosis boot camp

I just got down and did a few pushups and I can feel all my back muscles tightening up. Its amazing how all the muscle systems are tied into one another. Usage of the legs especially transfers up into the muscles in the back. Different muscles in the back have different amounts of tension with each different exercise.

You guys have to realize that Debbe and I have long fusions. She is up to T4 and I'm up to T2. There is a difference in the way the muscles work and feel after being fused. The paraspinal muscles that are attached to each vertebrae feel like they don't do all that much and forces are transferred differently. Of course, we are all different, with different levels of fusion, and all our muscle systems will work differently.

Its hard to explain. If they could do an EMG on each of the muscles in my back, that would tell the true story with each different exercise.

I have no issues with pushups. I just did 16 and now I'm beat! LOL After my broken shoulder was fixed last year, in PT, I could do about 20 pull ups with no problems.

One thing I'm noticing with being fused to the pelvis is that my hips can get sore. I think this is due to the lack of flexion in my fused spine. Running can be an issue, I mean I can run, but there is no shock or flexibility in my spine. Like driving a go-cart with no suspension. It works ok, I do good in the turns, but its a tough ride. Twice around the track and I'm a little tired.

After surgery your muscles will atrophy. That's a given. The recommended exercise given to me post surgery by my Doc was walking outdoors. Not indoors, outdoors. Must have something to do with stagnant air, oxygen thing. One thing for sure is, you do not want to compromise your fusion while healing, and be surprised with a pseudoarthrosis. You will break your hardware and then you will be in a world of hurt. I basically laid low till my surgeon told me I was fused and didn't want to take any chances.

Like after cutting yourself, you don't want to reopen the cut and have it rebleed, you want to leave the band-aid on till the wound is completely healed 100% After you are fused solid, that's the time to slowly rebuild. Don't worry, you will get it back. Normal fusion takes about 12 months. BMP 6 months.

Ok, so everybody get down and give me 20! Ooh-rah
                        Ed

My x-rays

Comment

sports is what will keep you going!

I had my surgery 35 years ago and am fused T4 - L5. I run, swim (ocean and pool), road bike, mountain bike, ski (down hill and cross country), lift wgts., yoga, pilates, spin, backpack, hike. I've run a 1/2 marathon, and have done 2 triathlons. I played ice hockey till I broke my elbow and realized that was a bit too ruff. I have ridden horse back, I can stand on my head. If I didnt have my surgery at 14 after wearing a brace for 1 1/2 years and then a body cast for nine months I would probably know how to play organized sports but in the old days they excused you from gym after spinal surgey. i have little to no pain and have never had a repeat surgery because I dont stop moving. Good luck! and tall men are the best!

Comment

Hi Heidi
                            i am so glad that you can do all that physical stuff! it must be a joy, especially since alot of people with old fusions seem to have trouble in later years!

i just have one question...could you do all that if fused to the pelvis..like fused to the sacrum?

Ed...what do you think?

continued good health to you heidi!

jess

Comment

Originally posted by heidi View Post
                              I had my surgery 35 years ago and am fused T4 - L5. I run, swim (ocean and pool), road bike, mountain bike, ski (down hill and cross country), lift wgts., yoga, pilates, spin, backpack, hike. I've run a 1/2 marathon, and have done 2 triathlons. I played ice hockey till I broke my elbow and realized that was a bit too ruff. I have ridden horse back, I can stand on my head. If I didnt have my surgery at 14 after wearing a brace for 1 1/2 years and then a body cast for nine months I would probably know how to play organized sports but in the old days they excused you from gym after spinal surgey. i have little to no pain and have never had a repeat surgery because I dont stop moving. Good luck! and tall men are the best!
                              Heidi I flipping love you, I had my fusion extended down to L4 (was T1-L3) back in May and I love being very active but I have been worried that, if I ever needed my fusion extended again, I would have to slow down. You do all the stuff I love doing or would like to do in future though! THANK YOU for posting

Comment

Hi Heidi
                                Welcome to the forum. I was up at bat in 1974 and chickened out.....

Jess
                                What do I think? I think nobody was interested in doing any push-ups. LOL

My mobility being fused to the pelvis is pretty darned good. It sounds a lot worse than it is. You adapt.

Here is a pic of me at Park City,Utah last April. Had no problems skiing the "groomers".
                                Maybe tonibunny will run up to Scotland and give us a ski report.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                                X