Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhhhhhhhhh.......Sigh

Ok, so recently I've been having a very sore/pain in my lower right back. The same area where my lumbar curved 53* and hurt before surgery. I can't sleep on my stomach because when I wake up, my back is as stiff as a board and it cracks a few times. I try to sleep on my sides and same problem. I can't sleep on my back if my life depends on it, just can't.

I went to my appointment yesterday, and I told the doctor everything about my pain. He was worried something might of been broken, but he told me the x-ray looked great and it was just as he left it after surgery. He said most likely all the pain I'm feeling was from my "muscles" and that I would need to see a Physical Medicine Rehab doctor to help me strengthen those muscles and figure out how to get them back to normal. I viewed the x-rays I took yesterday vs the x-rays I took right after surgery and I got to say I'm pissed off.

Right after surgery the curve was minimal and was at 15*, now the curve progressed and looks to be at least 20-25*. F*$% my spine. I'm so sick of this crap. Even after surgery I can't gym and I'm still having pain? This is ridiculous. I love my luck these past few months. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up saying I need revisional surgery, I'm use to this crap luck I'm having.

I'll try to post pictures soon.

Comment

• i am so sorry you are going thru this, especially when, after surgery, it seemed as if everything would come along fine...
      am wondering why the surgeon thinks the X rays look fine and you see an increase of the curve...

i can only think of 2 things to do...get another appointment with your surgeon and ask specifically about the area you are seeing...or...and i don't know if surgeons do this...seek a consult with a different surgeon...

am wondering if your surgeon is the type to accept questions and concerns without becoming...defensive (i've had doctors who could get really defensive...not scoli surgeons, though)...

i hope you find a way to resolve this...you sound so upset and disgusted...which is to be expected, when you thought your surgery would put an end to your back problems...
      i think eventually, once you are not as upset, you will be ready to approach this with a desire to figure it out and do whatever is needed...i don't think you are the type of person to stay frustrated, without looking for an answer, for long!

best wishes for an answer...
      jess

Comment

• John

Seeing a physiatrist should help you out a great deal. Explain everything to him and give it a shot.

I just cannot imagine not being able to sleep. Is this a recent thing? Have you been able to sleep ok before this event?

I had a pain episode at 23 months where the pain was a 10 level, kinda felt like someone sticking a hot soldering iron in my L3. That went on for 14 days, then suddenly quit. When I went down, my Doc said it was a soft tissue injury. I didn’t realize what I did, but after I thought about it, I came to the conclusion that it happened clipping my toenails reaching down. At the time we were looking at my x-rays, it sure looked like I had broke a rod, but that was not the case.....I learned to take my surgeons advise, and now I truly realize that with no formal radiological training, coming to any conclusions looking at the films can be difficult....

Pain days are something that we have to get used to...I have never been “mad” at my spine or my condition, I guess I just accepted it, and rolled with the punches through life, did the best I could with what I have.

Hang in there and let us know what happens. Don’t jump to any conclusions... it took me a long time to get where I’m at today. The healing process takes a long time. Try to cheer up.

Sounds like you need the foam.
        The foam party, that is. LOL Remember on “E” years ago, in Majorca, Spain?
        See, the pain is gone.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• john,
          sorry to hear about your back. I also have very bad days. I will be a year this year. I got the okay from my doctors to start the gym. I have been doing an hour on the elliptical, three mile walk and light weights. I want to build my back muscles, so I get rid of this pain. I have to admit that I do take some pain meds on days that I feel really bad. I hope that strengthening my back will get rid of the pain. My regular doctor is big on hormone replacement therapy and has suggested in this therapy for me in order to build muscle. He said that he will give me testesterone to build muscle. Still not sure on doing this, but sounds promising. I hope you round the curve and the pain goes away. I have days, where I wish I didn't have the surgery. Today in the gym, I saw an older lady being walked by her husband. She was hunched over and her scoliosis was very visible. I don't want that in the future!
          Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
            i am so sorry you are going thru this, especially when, after surgery, it seemed as if everything would come along fine...
            am wondering why the surgeon thinks the X rays look fine and you see an increase of the curve...

i can only think of 2 things to do...get another appointment with your surgeon and ask specifically about the area you are seeing...or...and i don't know if surgeons do this...seek a consult with a different surgeon...

am wondering if your surgeon is the type to accept questions and concerns without becoming...defensive (i've had doctors who could get really defensive...not scoli surgeons, though)...

i hope you find a way to resolve this...you sound so upset and disgusted...which is to be expected, when you thought your surgery would put an end to your back problems...
            i think eventually, once you are not as upset, you will be ready to approach this with a desire to figure it out and do whatever is needed...i don't think you are the type of person to stay frustrated, without looking for an answer, for long!

best wishes for an answer...
            jess
            Hey Jess. I guess he thought it was fine because all the instruments looked solid and nothing was out of place or broken. The area I'm seeing? The pain I'm having? Yesterday in my check-up, I pinpointed it and he took a look and said it isn't the metal rod/screws that are bothering me. And most likely it is the muscle which is causing the cracks and soreness. I can believe that, because my lower right back was WAY more developed muscle wise than my left lower back. It was much more prominent, so if they are hurting and not use to the surgery, it can cause all this pain, especially where it hurts the most. I can see my surgeon being defensive of some sort. Whenever my dad would ask, he would get defensive and act as if it was completely normal and there is nothing to worry about and it's old news. So, Idk. I'm just sick of this whole pain, it's coming up to 3 years of solid, 24/7 lower back pain and I'm just sick of it.
            John

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
            John

Seeing a physiatrist should help you out a great deal. Explain everything to him and give it a shot.

I just cannot imagine not being able to sleep. Is this a recent thing? Have you been able to sleep ok before this event?

I had a pain episode at 23 months where the pain was a 10 level, kinda felt like someone sticking a hot soldering iron in my L3. That went on for 14 days, then suddenly quit. When I went down, my Doc said it was a soft tissue injury. I didn’t realize what I did, but after I thought about it, I came to the conclusion that it happened clipping my toenails reaching down. At the time we were looking at my x-rays, it sure looked like I had broke a rod, but that was not the case.....I learned to take my surgeons advise, and now I truly realize that with no formal radiological training, coming to any conclusions looking at the films can be difficult....

Pain days are something that we have to get used to...I have never been “mad” at my spine or my condition, I guess I just accepted it, and rolled with the punches through life, did the best I could with what I have.

Hang in there and let us know what happens. Don’t jump to any conclusions... it took me a long time to get where I’m at today. The healing process takes a long time. Try to cheer up.

Sounds like you need the foam.
            The foam party, that is. LOL Remember on “E” years ago, in Majorca, Spain?
            See, the pain is gone.
            Ed
            Before I reply to your text, I have to start off with I have no idea what you are talking about with "E" in Majorca, Spain. No idea at all. Lol.

Anyways, not being able to sleep recently is from not being able to sleep on my back. I use to sleep on my stomach, but it got stiffer every morning I woke up and just more and more painful. So I would sleep on my back and twist a lot and sleep on my side, and that would sometimes hurt me even more causing me to wake up in the middle of the night. I hate it so much. I can feel the burning sensation and stiffness/soreness right now. It is painful. It's reminding me of the pain I had before surgery which made me hate my life. I can't handle this much pain 24/7, I'm so sick of it. It's not "Pain Days" It's freakin' "Pain Years" for me. I haven't had a day go by where I had lower back pain in the past 3 years. No matter how I set, how I walk, Gym or No gym, etc. I get pain. I'll hang in there, but looking at the recent x-rays and putting it side by side to my old ones fresh out of surgery, I'm disgusted to be honest. The difference is HUGE. Take a look below for yourself.
            John

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
            john,
            sorry to hear about your back. I also have very bad days. I will be a year this year. I got the okay from my doctors to start the gym. I have been doing an hour on the elliptical, three mile walk and light weights. I want to build my back muscles, so I get rid of this pain. I have to admit that I do take some pain meds on days that I feel really bad. I hope that strengthening my back will get rid of the pain. My regular doctor is big on hormone replacement therapy and has suggested in this therapy for me in order to build muscle. He said that he will give me testesterone to build muscle. Still not sure on doing this, but sounds promising. I hope you round the curve and the pain goes away. I have days, where I wish I didn't have the surgery. Today in the gym, I saw an older lady being walked by her husband. She was hunched over and her scoliosis was very visible. I don't want that in the future!
            Rich
            Hey Rich. I remember we both had surgeries within weeks. I hope you're doing better than me. I shouldn't of took his advice and returned to the gym at 3-5 months even if it was super light weight. That might of caused my spine to keep curving maybe. I don't take any pain medication anymore. I gave up on that. I don't want to get use to taking daily pain meds at such a young age. I don't think testosterone to build muscle would be the best idea for me. I'm not sure, I'm only 20 and I think I have plenty of test in my body as it is. I have to go to the PM&R doctor within a week or two and hopefully they can help pinpoint my pain and fix it. I don't care if my spine curves a bit, I just want the pain to go away and to return to the gym. Some soreness is fine, but the soreness I'm having now from not doing anything is driving me insane.
            John

Look at these x-rays, left side is right after surgery, at 1-1-10 and on the right is yesterday, 12-6-10. I don't think I even needed to say which is which, because it's damn obvious which one looks worse. Just looking at the rods, those shifted a good amount. The curve is even worse by looking at the spine. Even the bolts turned in, which means my rib cage rotated as well. Which can explain the rib hump I'm starting to feel and the pain that I got pre-op. Ahhhh....Sigh...again, I don't know what to do and I'm sick of my life. I already have job and school and home problems to worry about, with this amount of pain and my back hurting and surgeries, this is too much.

12 6 10 test.jpg
            Last edited by JDM555; 12-08-2010, 01:53 AM.

Comment

• John, I looked at your x rays and to tell you the truth, I don't see much difference. In the first xray, it looks like your right hip is higher than your left one, so you are tipped to one side. On the new x ray, your hips are much more even and you are standing straighter. If you take a straight edge from the base of your neck to the center line of your pelvis on both x-rays, it looks pretty much the same to me. However, I am not a Doctor, so if you still think something is wrong, I would suggest getting another opinion. You have the x-rays, so you wouldn't even need to let your surgeon know your are getting another opinion, although if it were me, I would tell him I want a second opinion if I thought I was curving again.
              I don't mean this to be cruel, but many on here have suffered many years longer than three years with back pain with or without surgery. Please try to put things into perspective and start counting your blessings. Get past the anger and seek another opinion if that is what it takes. Sometimes we get tested in ways none of us ever wanted. It eventually makes us stronger and better people. Remember, we were never promised a rose garden. Life is not always fair. Believe me, I am so sorry you are still in pain. Someone so young should not have to suffer so. I am old and have just passed my three year post-op date and my journey of pain is still not over, but it is getting better and better. I really like TiEd's suggestion to see a Physiatrist.(not a Psychiatrist) They are experts in helping people with disabilities and can help you to improve your muscles and joints.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Hey. I understand what you mean when you say it looks like I'm straighter. But you actually believe I'd look straighter a year post-op than right after surgery? No. Most likely the reason I look slanted in the first X-ray is cause I'm too tall for the machine and have to bend down. Maybe one side was higher than the other. As far as no difference I can clearly see a difference in the actual spine, forgetting about the huge difference in the placement of rods. It is curving a little more and trying to go back like it was before surgery. It doesn't look over a few degrees though.

I want to ask though. It seems normal the spine still curves after surgery because rods and screws are just there for support. But the actual bone graft is what makes it solid and not able to move. Since it's been 11 months, the bone graft is not fully healed right? That could explain why there is some curving in the spine right?

And yes. My surgeon suggested the physiatrist but searching up on then forum people weren't too pleased with the results. Just takes a minor look and sends you to a PT. I just hope I can do some exercises or something to help improve the pain.
                John

Comment

• hey John
                  i understand the anger...
                  but all in all, it wont help, and i know you are aware of that...
                  probably helps to vent, though...

i also understand that sometimes, knowing how others have suffered more, does not necessarily help one feel better about the suffering they are living thru right now...i know that feeling, even if people often feel that they shouldn't express it...

i see what looks like the spine leaning to the left, but i am not a doctor nor a radilology expert...if i were you, and felt i was getting no satisfaction, i might call another surgeon and ask if they would take a look at my X rays...just be warned...some doctors have this code where they refuse to EVER criticize another doctor...that is one reason court testimony from doctor to doctor can be difficult to obtain...but it still may be worth a try...

i hope you find the right answer for you...

jess

Comment

• John,

How are you doing? how is the back? I'm just curious if you found any books on weight training after our surgery. How is the pain? Today is my anniversary, December 9th.

rich

Comment

• Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
                      John,

How are you doing? how is the back? I'm just curious if you found any books on weight training after our surgery. How is the pain? Today is my anniversary, December 9th.

rich
                      I've been better. My lower right back is very sore. Especially when I wake up. I didn't find any books really. Congratulations on your one year anniversary! Mine is still on the 29....and....31...How about Dec. 30th? Lol

I'm scheduled to see a physiatrist actually on the 30th.

Comment

• i really hope the physiatrist can help you! if there is some kind of pain management technique that can work, like injections or some medication, that would be terrific!
                        i hope it is something easily remedied!

please let us know what he/she says...

jess

Comment

i really hope the physiatrist can help you! if there is some kind of pain management technique that can work, like injections or some medication, that would be terrific!
                          i hope it is something easily remedied!

please let us know what he/she says...

jess
                          Thanks a lot Jess. I really appreciate the kindness you've shown me for the past year through this lovely..."journey". I will keep everyone posted. Hopefully will have some good news .
                          John

Comment

• Had appointment with physiatrist today. Said it seems like I pulled a muscle most likely and that is causing the muscle to be so stiff and spaz. I told him exactly where it hurt and he said it felt very tight and would like me to do physical therapy 3x a week for the next month. He gave me a prescription for Flexeril 10mg to be taken once 30 minutes before I sleep to help me rest and get a good nights sleep. I have my first appointment at PT on the 3rd.

He said I will come back to do a check-up in 3 weeks. If PT and Flexeril isn't fixing the problem, then he might consider injections which "forces" the muscle to loosen up. I hope I can get rid of this pain.
                            John

Comment

• hey John
                              i am really glad that you saw a doctor who actually has a plan of action for you to follow!
                              i hope it does the trick, and no injections are needed...
                              i have my fingers crossed!
                              please let us know how it goes...

hope 2011 is a wonderful and pain free year for you!

jess

Comment

hey John
                                i am really glad that you saw a doctor who actually has a plan of action for you to follow!
                                i hope it does the trick, and no injections are needed...
                                i have my fingers crossed!
                                please let us know how it goes...

hope 2011 is a wonderful and pain free year for you!

jess
                                Well, went to PT yesterday for the first time. Got a small massage then did regular stretches, then do a little on the back row machine and then some pilates and finished off with some resting and heat rag on my back. It helped for a bit, but later that night just got stiff again. I'm obviously not expecting it to be fixed in one day, but I continued the stretches at night and I feel somewhat better this morning. Might have to do with the Flexeril I'm taking maybe, but my back isn't bothering me as much.

I'll start going to the gym and walking on treadmill and doing bike and very very light weight and see if I can start again. Then do the stretches 2 times a day. I hope I can get rid of this pain or at least make it bearable during school.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X