Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post

Opoids do contribute to respiratory depression....I remember feeling the same thing.

You shouldnt be on an empty stomach....Try just eating a strawberry or 3 blueberries.

You have a million dollar spine and your surporting that with cake? Bad kitty!

Ed
    Lol, it wasn't up to me. That's what was available to eat, and I said I can use the extra calories, but they are all bad calories. Fruit is good, I felt bad because I wanted to eat an apple before we left and didn't have time. Thanks for the tips.

And I guess not eating was the reason for the heart thing, I remember it with my first surgeries too, so I guess it's not out of the norm.

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
    i am glad you were comfortable at church in the seats.....
    i thought, the difference is, IF pain gets unbearable, or discomfort becomes too much,
    at home you can just get into bed if that helps,lay down, put warm moist heating pad on, etc..
    whatever helps the pain...cannot do that when you are out and about in church or anywhere
    else...
    what i was trying to say was, just maybe, it is too much out and around time so soon after surgery..

jess
    Yeah I know what you mean, I won't lie, I did lay down in bed as soon as I got home. It was rough this morning because it was my first time leaving the house since I was discharged. It was nice to get fresh air and see familiar faces though. I did forget to bring my oxycodone fast acting medication though, damn! I got oxycontin 10mg lol. Oops.

Comment

• perhaps you could make a list of things for someone to pick up at the
      grocery store for you...??
      there are ready made protein drinks, and ready made pre cut frozen fruit that
      you can buy if you do want to make your own smoothies from scratch....
      the drinks are usually near the fresh fruit and vegetable section, and the pre cut
      fruit is in the frozen food section....ready made protein drinks are easier if you don't have
      the time or energy to make them in the blender....
      even full fat ice cream sounds like a better choice right now than cold cuts....
      also,Greek yogurt is the easiest yogurt on the stomach....easier than the
      other kinds...i switched to it last summer....

i suggest these changes to you just for a short while, til your stomach is better
      and for when the pain pills have taken your appetite away....

and if you slow down and take it easier for a little while, you could just
      consider it an investment in your future!

can you put a few pain pills in the car you will be using right now, just in case you forget
      and leave them home???....
      i put some in my glove compartment and in
      my husband's glove compartment for when he is driving....
      that way, i always have pain meds with me no matter what car we take...

hope you feel better soon...
      jess

Comment

• I don't go anywhere, so it was just bad luck I guess lol. I don't think I'll be making any trips in the near future, so I'm good, but the pills in each car is a great idea.

I had some yogurt and some fruit and I'm eating lighter than before. Appetite isn't huge in the morning, but I'm forcing myself to eat something when I need to take medication. Been tired today, and woke up late (12:30PM), guessing it was from the valium I took at 12:30AM last night that put me out lol. I told my mom we need more yogurt and more soup and what not, since my stomach isn't 100% ready.

I'm taking more of the stool softners meds because the BM's lately have been seriously hard. More painful than the damn surgery lol. I'm having more BM's lately though, so that's good. I'm trying to get one every 1-2 days now.

And something I just figured out, I never went back to 11-11-11 posts and read through my recovery in the hospital. I can't believe I barely just got to it now. I appreciate all the prayers, wishes, and concerns you awesome members had for me, what an awesome family we are. I'm so grateful to have so many people help me through the recovery and care so much. I really really appreciate everything you guys have done for me, and for sure I wouldn't have the same recovery without you guys. Thanks again. And I did lol when I read some of my grammar mistakes, not bad considering on how much medication I was on.

So many friends that came told me they will need to meet up with me for a few hours to tell me what I was saying to them during recovery, they said I was saying a LOT of funny stuff that made no sense what so ever haha. Can't blame me, fentanyl on IV drip every 6 minutes will do that to you.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

• so glad to hear that you are eating lighter and healthier right now...
          i think your stomach may feel better that way...

what a nice thank you to everyone on forum....
          so many people here were so concerned for you, John, and just
          wanted to hear from you after surgery, to know you came thru OK....
          i personally hope you recover completely, get on with your life,
          and just return to forum now and then to pass along your knowledge and experience
          to future surgery patients...

heal well, friend....
          jess

Comment

• That's the beauty of this wonderful forum.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
              I don't go anywhere, so it was just bad luck I guess lol. I don't think I'll be making any trips in the near future, so I'm good, but the pills in each car is a great idea.

I had some yogurt and some fruit and I'm eating lighter than before. Appetite isn't huge in the morning, but I'm forcing myself to eat something when I need to take medication. Been tired today, and woke up late (12:30PM), guessing it was from the valium I took at 12:30AM last night that put me out lol. I told my mom we need more yogurt and more soup and what not, since my stomach isn't 100% ready.

I'm taking more of the stool softners meds because the BM's lately have been seriously hard. More painful than the damn surgery lol. I'm having more BM's lately though, so that's good. I'm trying to get one every 1-2 days now.

And something I just figured out, I never went back to 11-11-11 posts and read through my recovery in the hospital. I can't believe I barely just got to it now. I appreciate all the prayers, wishes, and concerns you awesome members had for me, what an awesome family we are. I'm so grateful to have so many people help me through the recovery and care so much. I really really appreciate everything you guys have done for me, and for sure I wouldn't have the same recovery without you guys. Thanks again. And I did lol when I read some of my grammar mistakes, not bad considering on how much medication I was on.

So many friends that came told me they will need to meet up with me for a few hours to tell me what I was saying to them during recovery, they said I was saying a LOT of funny stuff that made no sense what so ever haha. Can't blame me, fentanyl on IV drip every 6 minutes will do that to you.

Thanks again guys.
              That was very sweet of you, John! You are most welcome. I have kind of a funny thing to tell you, or maybe it's my middle of the night lame humor. I know I said I wasn't going to give you any more food advice, but couldn't resist: The doctors always tell you to go on the BRAT diet when your tummy isn't doing well. This diet consists of Bananas, Rice, Apple sauce, and Toast. Since you are allergic to bananas, I suppose you could go on the RAT diet. LOL But no eating of rodents, please. hee hee hee... I crack myself up tonight!
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

• I was also very sick and there's only so much jello u can eat. Cottage cheese is good if u like that. Very high in protien. And believe it or not I could keep down popcorn which is also high in protien. Ensures are good and they have formulas now just for muscles I tried the shakes they have but wouldn't stay down. Keeping pills in something u have with u is great including the car- please please be sure you have a copy of the script or a copy of the bottle- walgreens can divide the pills and put them in labeled bottles if you tell them what you need them for. If police were to pull over your car and you don't have something that shows you have a prescription for those pills they can make your life pretty miserable. They rarely believe the unbolted pills belong to you legally.

Comment

• i use a bottle of pills with a label on it for each car...it doesn't matter
                  to me that my pills at home are in an unlabeled bottle...i know what my
                  hydrocodone pills look like...they are the only yellow pills i have...
                  that way, if i am pulled over, it is easy to see the pills are doctor
                  prescribed...i don't want to drive when taking the pills, but i need
                  them just to sit in the car when someone else is driving..

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                    so glad to hear that you are eating lighter and healthier right now...
                    i think your stomach may feel better that way...

what a nice thank you to everyone on forum....
                    so many people here were so concerned for you, John, and just
                    wanted to hear from you after surgery, to know you came thru OK....
                    i personally hope you recover completely, get on with your life,
                    and just return to forum now and then to pass along your knowledge and experience
                    to future surgery patients...

heal well, friend....
                    jess
                    Yeah. It's still tough, I wake up with that bleh feeling in my stomach that makes it very hard to pick the right food to eat, or else I'm screwed for the rest of the day. I'm glad to have this forum and support of many, it's very nice going through surgeries and having someone to talk to when a problem comes up. Thanks for the kind words Jess.

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                    That's the beauty of this wonderful forum.
                    Yes it is!

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                    That was very sweet of you, John! You are most welcome. I have kind of a funny thing to tell you, or maybe it's my middle of the night lame humor. I know I said I wasn't going to give you any more food advice, but couldn't resist: The doctors always tell you to go on the BRAT diet when your tummy isn't doing well. This diet consists of Bananas, Rice, Apple sauce, and Toast. Since you are allergic to bananas, I suppose you could go on the RAT diet. LOL But no eating of rodents, please. hee hee hee... I crack myself up tonight!
                    Lol @ RAT diet. I don't like rats sorry. But on a serious note, I guess apple sauce and toast and stuff like a grilled cheese are good. I've been eating plain yogurt, and it's easy on the stomach. We're running out, I'm going to go shopping soon for a lot of snacks, some pudding might be on that list too. Thanks for the tips.

Originally posted by hdugger
                    I think the BRAT diet does the opposite of what John wants - it tends to slow down your digestive system.

But I do like the idea of a RAT diet
                    I'll eat the light stuff in the morning, which is when I have that meh feeling and would most likely throw up anything that is too heavy, and eat heavier items in the afternoon/dinner with the rest of my family. So it's not just light items to slow down my digestive system.

Originally posted by Kayde View Post
                    I was also very sick and there's only so much jello u can eat. Cottage cheese is good if u like that. Very high in protien. And believe it or not I could keep down popcorn which is also high in protien. Ensures are good and they have formulas now just for muscles I tried the shakes they have but wouldn't stay down. Keeping pills in something u have with u is great including the car- please please be sure you have a copy of the script or a copy of the bottle- walgreens can divide the pills and put them in labeled bottles if you tell them what you need them for. If police were to pull over your car and you don't have something that shows you have a prescription for those pills they can make your life pretty miserable. They rarely believe the unbolted pills belong to you legally.
                    I know, I loved the taste of the jello, seriously it was the best jello I've ever tasted in the world, and by the end of the week, I couldn't take another spoon lol. Cottage cheese is a good idea, but I don't really run into a lot of it. I'm worried it'll have a nasty taste and cause me to gag and that won't end well. It's amazing when it comes to snacking when trying to weight lift, very high in protein like you said. Popcorn is light as well and a good snack, but it's very low in calories. A full bag is like what, 150 calories lol. I'm going to stay away from ensure for now. Another great tip regarding the pills, appreciate that too.

Thanks for all these cool tips, can't believe even though this isn't my first surgery, I'm still learning things to do post-op lol. This morning I had 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt, 1 scoop of flavorless protein in water, and 1 orange. It seems nice and light, and I'll be able to eat lunch soon. I woke up late again (11:00AM), so I didn't want to push it in the food department. I might go food shopping today and have better snacks.

Comment

• hey John
                      pudding is a good idea....any kind...plain, rice pudding, tapioca, etc..
                      also, they make cottage cheese with fruit, like pineapple, in it...might be tastier....
                      i eat strawberry and raspbery Greek yogurt...i kindsa make myself eat it even when the pain meds take
                      all appetite away....

i know you can get thru the rough part, and that it will get slowly better for you....
                      you deserve the pain free life that is waiting for you!

jess

Comment

• I'm glad to have an amazing mom, but she went out and got me a few things I needed. Got me some toast bread, plain and fruit yogurt, pudding, apple sauce, cream cheese, and some other small snacks. I wasn't feeling too great, and I wanted something a bit salty, so I had a grilled cheese sandwich and cup of apple juice. I'm probably going to nap a bit, and then eat something later. Also having vegetables such as celery, green peppers, carrots, etc. chopped up and ready to eat with ranch is something I really enjoy, and it will be light for me to eat, so that's also good.

It's weird, idk why my stomach is getting sensitive now, I was eating fine a few days post-op and up till thanksgiving, then for the past 4-5 days I've been just slow and no appetite. It's weird.

Comment

• Hi John, I have no idea what I am doing on your thread other than that I'm a Mom with a kid who used to throw up a lot... Veggies are not the sensitive stomachs friend so be careful there. Your Mom has the right idea. WHITE bread (no complex carbs, keep it simple), applesauce, full-fat yogurt, eggs (but you don't like them, ok), cheese in moderation (can be irritate a touchy stomach), milk (same), ice cream (same--find a simple one like FIVE), clear juices and broths, chicken simply cooked (boiled if you can deal with that or little oil), plain pasta or maybe with some parmesan and butter sprinkled (read something about wanting salt?), rice cooked in broth. If you are looking to put on weight, nothing says lbs like peanut butter, but that might be too much for your stomach right now, experiment with a little maybe. Salami? OMG. Good luck to you, it seems like you have been through quite a lot.
                          mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
                          Providence night brace, increased to 35*
                          Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
                          14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                          11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                          Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
                          latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
                          currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

• regarding the last post, i would be careful of cheese....it is binding....
                            that is not what anyone on pain meds needs right now..
                            not with the problems this surgery brings with it...

jess

Comment

• Damn, cheese is bad too. Lol, this is harder than I thought. I did notice a bad feeling in my stomach after eating the grilled cheese. I did take a 20mg oxycontin at 11:30AM and then a percocet during the grilled cheese, pain hasn't been too great, and I don't want to wean off if I'm in pain, so I took 10mg oxycontin before I slept last night and 20mg this morning, and it's better. I think it's cause I was sitting too much yesterday.

Vegetables are bad for a sensitive stomach too? How is that even possible lol. Darn. I woke up from a nap a little while ago, but I can eat, so that's good. I'll go see what I can snack on till dinner.

Comment

• John, it may sound silly, but i looked up foods that can give a person diaherra....
                                including too much sugar, licorice, peas and beans...
                                i figured maybe it could help reverse the problem that pain meds can cause....
                                i am not encouraging you to live on sugary foods....
                                just trying to tell you that if you research it, you will see what to avoid...like cheese....
                                and what you might want to try....including full fat ice cream, if you are not lactose intolerant...
                                also well known are grapes, cherries, and the infamous prunes...plums can work, too...

jess
                                Last edited by jrnyc; 11-30-2011, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X