Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got on the forum after a week or so of vacation and realized that today is the day for your surgery. Since your last post about waking with a terribly sor throat was very early this AM and it is now mid-afternoon, I'm hoping that you are having your surgery right now and all is going perfectly.

Sheri
    At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
    Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
    Excellent correction

Comment

• John,
      Since we haven't heard more from you, I hope they went ahead with surgery and you're on your way to a better back. Best of luck to you! Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Addressing Your Concerns About Surgery

Hello, I can understand your concerns about having spine surgery and I'll be happy to address them.
        I consider Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery techniques to be the answer. Smaller incisions, less blood loss, less risk, quick recovery, minimall discomfort - patients usually only taking Tylenol after the first week or so, No ICU - Intensive Care Unit post surgery, and you will be standing up straight.
        I also do second opinions using phone, internet and reviewing x rays, there is a lot of information about minimally invasive techniques and information about second opinions.
        A minimally invasive procedure can straighten out your spine and eliminate your pain.
        http://tinyurl.com/getasecondopinion
        Dr. Neel Anand
        http://www.infospine.net/treatment-s...s-surgery.html

Comment

• I'm deeply suspicious of any surgeon claiming to be able to eliminate pain. There is just no way to guarantee that result.

Comment

• He's saying it can eliminate pain and that is certainly true. I don't think he is saying he is guaranteeing it.

You're right that no surgery is guaranteed to eliminate pain, not even the "nervectomy" cases in horses and such where the purpose is to severe the nerve to prevent pain. I am told the nerve almost always grows back and the operation needs to be redone. Nerves are amazing.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• I hope your surgery went ahead John and by now is probably nearly done and dusted. No news is good news right now, I guess.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• "Eliminate" is a very strong word - somewhat akin to "cure." "Straighten" is a good qualified word. I'd feel more comfortable with an equally qualified word for the expected effect on pain - relieve? reduce?

Comment

• He said surgery "can" eliminate pain.

That is a true statement.

Is it guaranteed to do so? No.
                  Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                  Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                    He said surgery "can" eliminate pain.

That is a true statement.

Is it guaranteed to do so? No.
                    I understand the nuance, but I would still be more comfortable with someone stating the likely outcome of surgery, and not simply a possible outcome. I suppose I like conservative surgeons.

Sorry, John, returning you to your thread. Best of luck!
                    Last edited by hdugger; 12-28-2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Hope your sore throat was nothing major and that your surgery went as scheduled. Best wishes of a good correction and speedy uncomplicated recovery.
                      Vali
                      44 years young! now 45
                      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                      Post -op - 5 degrees
                      T11 - S1 Posterior
                      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

• Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                        I'm deeply suspicious of any surgeon claiming to be able to eliminate pain. There is just no way to guarantee that result.
                        This is similar to this post:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showp...19&postcount=3
                        But, anecdotal is good enough for a disorder which never reverses on its own. It is proof that scoliosis *can* be reversed through non-surgical means, even though there is not enough information yet to show exactly how it was reversed.

As far as I know, no adult has completely reversed their scoliosis curves. In fact, it's rare that anyone gets even a 50% improvement, even in the short-term.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• John,

My prayers and thoughts are with you!!! I hope all went well today and you are resting and preparing for your new job of healing!!!

Laura
                          Laura
                          62 degrees
                          49 yrs. young
                          Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

• Ohhhh man what a day. I'm in recovery right now. Surgery went fine and they said the fifty three curve is down to around fifteen degrees. My back feels really sore and achy. But I'm thankful for the surgery to be successful. I'm so tired n I'll keep you guys updated thanks guys.
                            John

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
                              Ohhhh man what a day. I'm in recovery right now. Surgery went fine and they said the fifty three curve is down to around fifteen degrees. My back feels really sore and achy. But I'm thankful for the surgery to be successful. I'm so tired n I'll keep you guys updated thanks guys.
                              John
                              This has to be a record. I've never seen anyone post anywhere nearly this early postop. Congratulations!
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Congratulations!!

You must be so happy to have the surgery over and getting ready to start on the next part of your recuperation

Way to go!

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X