flu shot after spinal surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flu shot after spinal surgery?

My daughter had surgery end of july--and confused about whether or not she should have a flu shot (regular-not swine) ---someone mentioned concern it could cause an infection, yet her surgeon said OK- has anyone else received any guidance about what to do/not do in the few months preceding the operation? thanks--

I can't imagine how a flu shot could cause a bacterial infection, but I'm not a health professional. I wouldn't hesitate to get the shot if the doctor said it's OK.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi,
      My experience was that 5 weeks before my surgery, I came down with a terrible cold and they wouldn't give me a flu shot while I had symptoms. I had a cough right up until my surgery date. They wouldn't give me one while I was in the hospital and after I was recovering, it was too late to find anyone who had a flu shot to give. If your surgeon says it's OK, I would go for it.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

i know that they dont want to give a flu shot IF a person has cold symptoms...i have never heard them ask whether one has had surgery recently...only if one had a cough or a cold on the day of the flu shot....

hope that helps
        jess

Comment

I just had my 2 week post-op appointment today and I was told that the flu shots will be available in October (I'm with an HMO) and that I should definitely have it. I specifically asked "even though I just had surgery" and the PA said no worries, get the shot.

Hope that helps!
          ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
          Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
          Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
          Now curve is T38*, L53*
          Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Working...
          X