Valleygirl's Road to Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valleygirl's Road to Recovery

I have been home from the hospital since day 5 post-op. MY surgical experience was amazing and I felt I was so prepared for it after spending so much time here on the forum. All the information that I absorbed from all of your posts coupled with the encouragement given to me when I posted questions left me heading into the operating room totally relaxed. I know I will never be able to thank you all for what you have done for me to make my experience simply awesome. I do hope to be able to pay it back here on the forum. You are an absolutely amazing group of people.

I’m still a bit foggy from the meds, but in the hopes that this may help someone else in their battle with scoliosis and recognizing that everyone’s actual experience is different, I’ll try to relay what the past 10 days have been like for me.

I was scheduled for a large fusion…T5 to S1. I had many discussions with my surgeon about the length of the fusion and he was very well aware that if there was any way he could do less (2nd opinion wanted to do T10 to S1), I would be very happy. But I definitely left it up to him and counted on his expertise. The first time I saw him in the OR before the surgery, he came over to me and asked how I was doing and all that stuff. Then he says, he has spent the weekend reviewing my MRI, CT scan and x-rays and decided he could probably do a good fusion and get good correction by just doing T10 to S1! I couldn’t believe it. Did he really just say that or was I dreaming? At that point, I didn't want to know. Lights out!

The next thing I remember was that I was in the PACU waiting for a room. Then they put me into my room and that’s when my hubby showed up. He seemed so abnormally happy……He was ecstatic as he told me the surgeon was thrilled with my outcome. He told me about only going to T10, gaining at least 1 to 1½ inches in height, and that I had more flexibility than he had expected. I was very groggy but that was my surgery day. Phew

The next couple of days are very blurry due to the meds. For me, though, they were pretty good. I was given my brace and started walking on day 1 post-op using a walker. Day 3 we did stairs and physical therapy was done with me. Occupational therapy came in on day 2 & 3 and I had drainage tubes taken out on day 4. Then on day 5, they discharge me. Everything was happening so fast. But I felt great. I had pain, but it was very manageable.

When you say everyday you feel a little better, I never expected that to be the case in the first 5 days post-op but it was for me. Regaining strength has occurred so quickly. Yeah, I’m still weak in the legs, especially in the early morning, but it gets much better as the day moves on. I think I could probably give up the walker all together today, but it’s a good reminder for me to walk “tall” and to “straighten up” so I think I'll keep using it a bit.

Mostly I feel pain when I overdo it. I’m allowed to sit 30 -40 minutes at a time and this is something I try to adhere to. If I sit too long, that’s when the pain sets in.

All in all, I am doing and feeling great. No complaints at all – just surprised at how well I feel and how easily I am adapting to my new limitations.

I’ll try to keep posting on my progress as things move along.

To those of you with up-coming surgeries planned...Hang in there. It does get better.
    ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
    Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
    Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
    Now curve is T38*, L53*
    Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Hi valleygirl
    congratulations! the worst is over..it is all healing from now on! sounds like you are doing remarkably well...i wish you steady healing to a return to health...a new place of health, since you spent so many years struggling with scoli!

best wishes for relief of pain & a happy healing
    jess

Comment

Hey Valley Girl!
      I had the same surgery as you did on August 11th - so I am now 5 weeks out. And I am 54 years old so same age range.I am now walking up to an hour in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening (I live in Scottsdale so it's too hot in the midday!!!) I'm off all my meds except for percocet as needed (maybe at night) and Lyrica for nerve pain. I can get into any kind of car ( it takes a while) but won't start actually driving until next week. As of yesterday, I can even shave my legs!
      The first two weeks were definitely the hardest - adjusting the meds, trying to eat, getting up and down from couch, bathing etc. but once you get over the "hump" you will see progress quickly - my only complaint now is that I still get fatigued quite easily.
      I even had seven girlfriends over last Friday night and by the end of the evening - we were all dancing!!!
      So hang in there - you will be amazed to see how your body will heal and come back!!!

Comment

Sounds like the perfect recovery. I bet you are feeling such relief!
        45L/40T
        Surgery 25/1/2010
        Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I do feel like I am doing remarkably well and the worst is over. Yay!
          Originally posted by Zoee View Post
          Hey Valley Girl!
          I had the same surgery as you did on August 11th - so I am now 5 weeks out. And I am 54 years old so same age range.I am now walking up to an hour in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening (I live in Scottsdale so it's too hot in the midday!!!) I'm off all my meds except for percocet as needed (maybe at night) and Lyrica for nerve pain. I can get into any kind of car ( it takes a while) but won't start actually driving until next week. As of yesterday, I can even shave my legs!
          The first two weeks were definitely the hardest - adjusting the meds, trying to eat, getting up and down from couch, bathing etc. but once you get over the "hump" you will see progress quickly - my only complaint now is that I still get fatigued quite easily.
          I even had seven girlfriends over last Friday night and by the end of the evening - we were all dancing!!!
          So hang in there - you will be amazed to see how your body will heal and come back!!!
          Zoee...sounds like you are doing exceptionally well also. Good job. We do have a lot in common so I'll be following your posts very closely to see what "may" lay ahead for me.

Your walking rountine is where i'd like to be. Sounds great. You have given me new goals (even if I can't do exactly the same as you, it's good to have goals) to strive for. Walking and dancing. And being able to shave my legs...LOL Yep those are my goals.

Thanks all for the continued encouragement.
          ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
          Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
          Now curve is T38*, L53*

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

I guess I am somewhere in the middle....3 weeks post op. I'm trying to wean down the percocet, but found I tried too soon. I'm now about 1 1/2 pills every 5 hours and I think I'll wean down again soon. I try to walk for 15-20 minutes three times a day. I'm finding now that I'm getting a little emotionally fatigued and it's making me want to lie flat on my back instead of getting up and around. I know that's what's best for me, but it's hard.
            I also have a cane that I carry when i take long walks or if i am headed to the doctor. I don't lean on it, but it's there to warn people to "stay back!"

So glad that everyone is doing well!
            Kathy, 43
            Diagnosed as a teen
            Boston brace 2 years
            63 degree lumbar curve
            Surgery August 26, 2009
            Anterior approach fused T12-L4
            now 28 degrees

Comment

Hi Valley Girl,

So glad to hear how well you are doing, and only five days in the hospital! It must feel wonderful to be home and surgery almost a distant memory. Do be careful though and try not to overdo it, that was an important piece of advice from a lot of people here in this forum, and they were right, I thought because I was feeling so well, I could do it all, you really do pay for it later. It sounds like you'll be up and around before you know it though, good for you!
              Dolores A
              June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
              June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
              Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
              NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Valley Girl,
                Wow you are so amazing. To be able to go home so soon and being able to post so soon. This gives me such hope. I am now only about a month and a half away from my surgery. I will follow you as you go through your recovery so I am as well informed as you were going into yours.
                Lori
                Diagnosed @ at of 11
                Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
                Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
                (was told would never get worse)
                Surgery November 11, 2009
                Fused T6-T12
                Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
                Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

Comment

Hi Val

This is good news!

I didn't have the opportunity to chat with my scoli surgeon right before my surgery. Since I had an A/P, my vascular surgeon was the one I met right before my surgery. He was the one who "dug the hole" from the front for a few hours first, then Dr Menmuir came a few hours later.

Its funny how some nurses spend several minutes inserting your IV. My vascular surgeon did it in about 3 seconds! Very impressive, I must say.

Take it slow. Keep your journal with your meds, food, etc. Its good to have these records. Careful with constipation!

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Wow...the constipation game is a tough one. So far, I think I'm losing. I have tried everything and then eventually I go. So was it any one thing that worked or all of them??? I'll just keep doing what I am doing and hope I don't explode. LOL

Due to all my past reading on this board, I have a very good chart going that I use for my meds (and monitoring the constipation). It's working well for me, so far. When I get up in the middle of the night and I'm due for meds, I can't remember what i took last or when, but as long as I religiously keep track on my chart it's easy and I haven't made a mistake yet. So I agree with you Ed, the chart is a great way to keep it straight.

Lori, I became obsessed with learning as much as I could. Once I found this forum, it was like drilling for oil and striking it rich. I logged on and went to the very last page of this section of the forum and started reading my way back to the current day. I would go through several pages a day (I didnt read every post, but I read most) and found a ton of information and links with other great resources. LindaRacine has a great website with invaluable information. If you haven't already been there, here's the link (if this works )

http://scoliosislinks.com

Dolores, I can't believe it's only been a week since I had the surgery. It was just last Tuesday. You are so right about overdoing it. Even a little. My instructions were not to sit for any longer than 30-40 minutes at one time. You know how it is at the computer, trying to get caught up on emails and such and due to the pain meds, I guess I lost track of time. Well I paid that price the other night and I won't make that mistake again. I lost track of time, was late on my meds and therefore suffered a bit of pain for quite a while that day. Lesson learned! Thanks for the reminder.
                    ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
                    Now curve is T38*, L53*

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Val

Magnesium Citrate oral solution is the bomb. LOL
                      Its sold over the counter.
                      Just in case.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

LOL

Thanks Ed!

I'll remember that on my next trip to the pharmacy!
                        ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
                        Now curve is T38*, L53*

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Hi Valley Girl-

Congratulations! It is so great to read about such a successful outcome so soon after surgery. I recently became a member of this forum and saw that you were going into surgery on 9/8 and couldn't wait for you to come back and post to tell us how you made out! Looking forward to reading your posts in the upcoming months to see how the recovery is.

Best of luck to you,
                          JenM
                          Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                          Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                          Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                          Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                          31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

When I was still in the hospital, they prepared "the bomb" for me to get things going bathroom wise - and boy, did this work - a combination of hot coffee, prune juice and milk of magnesium. It actually tasted quite good!!!

Comment

man-o-man

I experienced morphine constipation at 6 weeks. It was like eating cement, and adding water. My guts turned to stone...... and painful...... Man-o-man.

I like using man-o-man, it explains quite a bit!

Anyway, since I had prior Cts done when they were looking for my kidney stone, and post cts when they were looking again and found my gall stones, the Radiology Dept noted that my gall stones were not present in the first cts, and ALSO my diverticulosis wasn't there either.

I attribute the formation of the diverticulosis from my constipation,
                              and the formation of my gall stones from lack of "fat intake" due to loss of appetite on "the meds"

So, the bottom line, Eat, drink, and be happy. and no falling!!!!!

Protein is needed. Smoothies with protein powder etc are a great way to achieve this, and taste great. Sliced roast beef also is another method to get that protein. Canned refrigerated pears, sooth the throat. I'm forgetting all this stuff.

Insurance companies have programs for outpatient which supply nurses and pt people which will come out to the house. Doctors also get early discharge bonuses. It saves money.

Just some tid-bits....
                              Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                              X