No announcement yet.

New & looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to update. After all my stress and anxiety I gave birth 15 days ago to a perfect baby boy. The labour was fine (12 hours no drugs) and relatively pain free - apparently my years of back pain have given me a high pain threshold. Unfortunately he got stuck and we ended up having to have a caesar. We had a successful epidural below my fusion.

I'm now home enjoying my son and all the fun and challenges of motherhood. Thanks everyone for your advice!

Comment

Who needs a revision???

Progressing curves and pain are indications for revision. This is a clue if you begin to look worse. If the curves are progressing they will keep progressing. Sometimes this happens so sneakily that it's not noticeable at first. One of my alarming signs was breathing symptoms.
      I sent you a private message; we had the same first surgeries but I didn't get the Harrington rods like you later on.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

cosmetic reasons

Linda
        Could you comment further on what you know about the group who chose surgery for cosmesis and comment on why this group is disappointed?

The kyphosis/rib hump has always taken a back seat to the other scoliois issues for the medical profession. It is hard to quantify because everyone has a different perspective on its importance.

thanks
        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
        Spinal fusion 1961
        HR 1981 T3-L4
        Thoracic curve 75Cobb; post 40
        Present: Thoracic 60Cobb Lumber?
        [FONT]

Comment

Hey tred
          congratulations on your baby...wishing you many years of love and enjoyment...

jess

Comment

Hi Elizabeth...

There's no way to know for certain, but it appears that people who go into the surgery for cosmetic reasons aren't prepared for any complications or pain. While some people have picture perfect recoveries, most don't. Recovery from this surgery can be really tough, and a smaller rib hump isn't much consolation when there's a lot of pain (when there wasn't pain in the first place). This isn't like a plastic surgery, where the pain lasts a week or two. The pain can last months or even years.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
            X