What does a loose screw feel like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a loose screw feel like?

I was wondering if anyone who has had experiences with loose screws or hardware could tell me what kind of symptoms they had. At the very top of my fusion, there is one small and extremely tender spot on the left side of my spine that coincides with a screw. It hurts very much to the touch and begins to hurt sharply after sitting unsupported for only a few minutes. I also have a very tingly feeling coming right from that one spot. Because of the way it is isolated to only that very tiny area, I am thinking maybe there is something wrong with the screw? Any ideas? Thanks!
    Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Hi Nicole...

That sounds like a prominent screw, and it's probably not loose. The next time you see your surgeon, be sure to mention it. A relatively simple surgery to remove the screw can be scheduled once the fusion is solid.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Not too sure if I want to admit I had a screw loose... lol Actually, I could feel and/or hear a screw rocking back and forth. We gave it plenty of time to fuse, but eventually it fractured T3, which was repaire in Mar 08. I'm doing much better now, but still dealing with muscle spasms, possibly due to the back muscle rubbing over the top of the rod (which was shortened in the Mar 09 surgery). I'm hoping it will toughen up, or whatever it is that muscles do. Outside of that, no other thoughts. Call your surgeon and have hime take a look. Taking it one day at a time....
      Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
      Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
      T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
      Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
      Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
      Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
      Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
      Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
      Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Working...
      X