Boston Brace vs. Wilmington Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Brace vs. Wilmington Brace

Hi, my daughter is 13 yrs old and is set to be casted for a wilmington brace. We we also told by another dr. that she should use a tlso boston brace. I am very confused about this. Does someone have any information about the two different braces??? How far the go down the hip, how thick they are. Is there one better then the other??
    Also is the tlso boston brace also custom made??
    Thanks any information would be of great help... I am so confused.

Hi cbella,

I can't give you the information you are looking for (my daughter wears a different full-time brace) but I recall when I was looking into braces finding fairly detailed information on the web about the Wilmington Brace. It is my recollection that it is a TLSO, like the Boston, but I may be wrong about that. I don't know if kids are cast for the Boston as well; I think maybe some are but some one else would be able to answer that better for you. I think it's hard to say in general that one brace is better than another. "Success" in bracing depends on a lot of factors (curve, compliance, age, etc.), including your definition of success, and there certainly is no guarantee with any brace. Maybe there is a specific reason that the one doctor thinks the Wilmington is a better choice, even though the Boston is more common. You might want to try to email each doctor for more insight, and/or talk to your local orthotist about the specifics of each brace. Don't be shy about asking questions. Sometimes you have to push a little.

Sorry, I can't help more.
    Last edited by mamandcrm; 09-16-2009, 09:30 AM.
    mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
    Providence night brace, increased to 35*
    Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
    14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
    Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
    currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Working...
    X