negligence? or part of the game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• negligence? or part of the game?

I am probably going to mention a touchy subject. The reason being that I am sooo frustrated. I am looking at a second surgery sometime next year to correct a saggital imbalance caused by my first surgery 15 months ago. I will need to go to another surgeon because surg #1 won't say there is a problem. Surg #2 knew immediately what the problem was. The imbalance was created during surgery because I immediately could not stand upright enough to do my walking exercises. My question is this: is this considered a complication of adult scoliosis surgery? If so, I was not aware prior to surgery that this was a possibility. I only knew of it afterwards when I was doing research on my own to figure out what was wrong with me. OR would this be considered negligence on the part of the surgeon? Prior to surgery I was explained that balancing the spine is important and everything I have read confirms this. Its a very delicate process. How could this have happened if all precautions were taken in surgery to make sure my spine was balanced before closing me up? I hate the thought of more surgery, my insurance is not as good, my husband is an OTR trucker so he will have to get a new job so he can be with me, and I have a great job that I don't want to jeopardize. But at the same time, my world has become very small due to my disability. I want my life back! If anyone can answer my questions, I would really appreciate it!
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Hi Kristy...

It's not a common complication with current implants, but does happen. It's not easy to get the correct amount of lordosis. I suspect you'd have a big battle if you try to sue your surgeon for malpractice, and you'll need to figure out if that's how you want to spend your time.

With that said, your surgeon was absolutely wrong telling you that nothing was wrong with you. He should be ashamed.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm very sorry about your situation and I can really relate to it. Until the last appointment, our surgeon kept insisting that my son was so well-balanced and that his 'plum-line' from his neck through his pelvis was totally straight and vertical. At the last appt. he said there now appeared to be an imbalance with the plum-line being a bit more diagonal from thoracic through lumbar/pelvis areas. I too am very frustrated and angry.
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        With that said, your surgeon was absolutely wrong telling you that nothing was wrong with you. He should be ashamed.
        Boy, I’ll say! What a jerk. My posture and gait were checked by my surgeon every day before I even left the hospital. Kristy, I feel so sorry for you. It’s hard enough getting through this huge surgery and recovery. And then to discover your surgeon has not been candid with you. I sincerely hope and pray you have found a caring and competent surgeon who can remedy your problem.

Comment

I'm really not thinking of suing my surgeon. But every time I tell someone about my situation the first thing they say is "I'd sue the pants off your doctor!". I am a nurse so being in the medical profession myself, I can see both sides of a situation. I want to know how this happened. I just wondered how common it is for sagittal imbalance to happen right away.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I had a little different experience happen as it was with my neck. After my last neck surgery to remove my old hardware & install new hardware because 2 more disc herniated; I was repeating myself like a broken record on the recovery table that we needed to go back that he did not do it right. I was discounted, told it was post-op pain, relax. My dr. did not even come see me after the surgery, I was sent home the 2nd day. The hardware covers c3-4,c4-5,c5-6. During my followup visits I was told the pain could get worse before it gets better, & more mumbo jumbo. He put so much pressure on disc that C1-2 to T-1 now need work. I am trying to wait until early summer as this is a really bad time for us to go out of state for another surgery. I now have flat-back & will require full revision. I don't know if it will be one surgery or 2. I sent my films & records to Dr. LaGrone in TX, but have not decided what Dr. I will use. I don't want to decide right now.

So sorry to hear this happened to you. I know what it is to be upset with a Dr. yet I don't belive in law-suits. But, sometimes when the pain is more then I can bare I can understand why others may. I just try to leave it to prayer.
            scoli appeared age 15
            untreated until age 30
            41* T & 72* L
            Harrington Rod T4 to L4
            33* T & 53* L
            neck instrumentation C3-4,C4-5,C6-7
            Revision coming up in Nov. 2012

Comment

I pray every day

Taylor
              I am sorry to hear of your problems after surgery. I hope you find a good surgeon that will be able to finally give you some relief. It is hard to know what to do. I work full time, and there is not a day that goes by when I wonder how much longer I can do it. But I have no choice. I want to wait till next summer because of our financial situation, and because of my husband's job. I pray too, but as I said, I am a nurse and I see others in worse situations than me and I can put things in perspective.

Comment

Fellow naptown-er here

I am so sorry you ended up with this result. It must be very frustrating. I hope you can find some relief and get this fixed. I, too, live in Indianapolis. I am looking at revision surgery for surgery I had for kyphosis correction. I was wondering if you could share with me who your surgeon was, as I am trying to find someone in Indy for a second opinion, and feel this could help me make an informed decision. I went to see Keith Bridwell in St. Louis, but am desperately hoping I can get the surgery done locally. I don't know if you feel comfortable sharing that publicly. If not, that's ok.

I really hope you can get some answers and relief. Hang in there.

Comment

That's pretty much what happened to me although it took me 4 years to finally realize that I was getting so much worse and finally the doctor who did the original fusion told me I needed a full spine fusion which he did not do. He took no responsibility of course but I didn't expect him to. I was very pissed off but I had surgery this past February as you can see in my signature and for the most part I am so much better. I can stand straight and I can actually walk again although for distance I need a cane. I am hopeful that I can lose the cane and lose the upper back pain in the coming months. It feels as though someone is inserting a bowling ball between the rods and there isn't enough room but they keep trying.
                  happy bowling
                  avis
                  1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                  2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                  2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                  Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Working...
                  X