Dr. Jean Dubousset is Pro-Bracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Jean Dubousset is Pro-Bracing

Here is a bio of Dr. Jean Dubousset...a very esteemed person in the scoliosis world.....perhaps people recognize his name from the instrumentation used in surgery.

http://www.cotrelspinalresearchfound...0Dubusset.html

Here is a link to a presentation he did in April (2009) for POSNA the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America.

http://posna.gmetonline.com/ViewPres...onpackageid=31

I wish I could just post if for you, but at the 7:57 minute mark, he has a slide that says: Lesson: Don't throw away Cast and Brace treatment

And the next slide at the 8:12 minute mark shows a picture of a girl at nine years old and then again at 25 years old with a remarkable improvement from brace wear, showing the cosmetic change. Yes, cosmetic change and thank God for it. The slide states: Lesson: Non-Operative Treatment Works.

Those pictures are what has happened to my daughter (that is not my daughter, in case anyone is wondering). Tell me that the Braist study isn't unethical. I guess as long as it is someone else's kid being sacrificed, it's okay.
    Last edited by Ballet Mom; 09-06-2009, 09:29 PM.

I guess that link doesn't work to POSNA, here's a better link. Just click on the first link entitled: One Day Course - Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis: Understanding the Deformity and Current Treatment (April 29, 2009)

http://posna.gmetonline.com/Presenta...onpackageid=31

Comment

Hi...

I have to preface what I'm going to say with the fact that I also believe that bracing can work. It may be proved not to work in the future, but until then, I would try to keep my kid in a brace in the hope they'd avoid surgery.

With that said, infantile and juvenile scoliosis is very unpredictable, so it's entirely possible that the 9 year old's curve would have improved without the brace. On Friday, I met a child who was born with a lumbar curve and no trace of thoracic curve. Four years later, he has a right thoracic curve, and his lumbar spine is completely straight.

So, braces may or may not work, but for the time being, I think we should at least pretend that they do.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,

The thing I would point out is that her x-rays all look very similar...the result was cosmetic, not that the curve improved significantly. I believe spontaneous improvements actually decrease the size of the Cobb angle from what I understand. If anyone knows anything in more depth, please let me know. Thanks. And of course, my daughter is definitely an adolescent case, not a juvenile case and her cosmetic change has been as drastic as the photos.

Comment

Working...
        X